Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rubbish Snow - So Which Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,
Departing tomorrow to Meribel .... packing today.
I have nice new Blizzard Cochise ..... or 6 year old Volkl Gotama ....
Which shall I take ..... desperate to try the new Blizzards but don't want to wreck them !
Heart says Cochise but Head says Gotama .....

How bad is it out there and what is the average weekly damage like at the moment ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cochise. Tools not jewels!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do what I am going to do next week, take my good ones and if conditions are pants hire a set and trash the hire pair
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the speedy replies ..... If you hire .... Make sure you get the hire ski damage insurance ..... a mate before Xmas got charged £112 for excess damage ....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@clarky999, Tools and Jewels .... new model looks awesome !
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What makes you say the snow is rubbish??
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm with clarky - no point buying skis and not using them, most damage can be repaired and speaking as someone who has managed to inflict a core shot on brand new (first day) skis when there was 50cm of fresh, it can happen any time
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@PBJ, why are you worrying? Daily Fail reader?

Snow not rubbish everywhere.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@PBJ, Blizzards............ they are no good to you at home, I assume you bought them to use them. If you damage them, repair them. Snow isn't that bad surely!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have some Cochise's too - you have to take them - awesome skis.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've got the cochise. Love that ski apart from the fact they have got the softest bases ever. I absolutely destroyed them in chamonix before new year but all filled now.

Everything I hit is a core shot on them.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@kesone1, I can't believe that the base is any softer than anything elses? These things are fairly standard materials I think?

Surely, would need to be otherwise the shops would have to stock varieties of repair materials, which they don't.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I must say I haven't noticed them being soft but I haven't skied anything particularly rocky so can't comment too much. It is possible the base is a bit thinner than some?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, there definitely are some differences, though I can't tell you what the materials are. The bases on my Moments are noticeably stronger than my 4FRNTS, Nordicas, Dynastars, Downs, etc. I think they make them with Kryptonite.

Saying that, they're also slower.

Don't bases come in sintered, extruded and somehting else varieties?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OK, so it is possible that they are the same materials but a "softer" density. Wouldn't have imagined so though and wouldn't think they'd be made thinner either.
latest report

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 13-02-15 20:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Thanks all - blizzards packed !
Rubbish snow ..... Maybe a bit strong, but worst for 24 years per Davidof .... And significantly limits the accessible and safe off piste terrain.
I've just got the G3 twin tip tail fixing thing for my skins - anyone used it on the Cochise? It does not look overly secure .... I had debated filing a notch in the black tail cap to secure the skins ... But not brave enough!
snow report
My practically new hire ones were returned with several scratches last week due to the odd hazard sticking through lower slopes. Thought they may say something but they did not bat an eyelid.
latest report
@PBJ, Took my brand new Mantras to Tignes before Christmas. By far the worst damage was done by someone skiing over then at the to of Toviere rolling eyes .... on the first day I used them.... all skis are rock skis (IMV)
ski holidays
@clarky999, apparently it's in the density of the chemical, but all the same chemical.
snow report
Quote:

wouldn't think they'd be made thinner either.

I'm sure I've read marketing bumf from some of the nichier freeridier brands claiming thicker bases
latest report
@jedster, thicker I could believe. I realise that means there are thinner bases out there, and I know racing bases are sometimes thinner, but still snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy