Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does anyone else ski without goggles or glasses?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I have skied about 5 times - 20 days.
I never wear goggles or sun glasses (I find them annoying and they impair my peripheral vision).

I never wear sun glasses in the sun for similar reasons.
I have no difficulty skiing without these.

Any comments?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You will go blind.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Who needs eyesight anyway? If you screw them up you can always get a new pair. Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jbob wrote:
You will go blind.

Is 'goggling' a metaphor for something you do in private ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
each to their own
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@dewsbury, when you have cataracts due to over-exposure to UV light, you may wish to reconsider.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photokeratitis
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Seriously, start wearing goggles or sunglasses.

I was the same as you - for the same reason - and in the middle of one particularly sunny week both eyes started burning to the point of me being doubled up in pain and having to stumble down the mountain with my eyes closed to reach the medical centre - where they filled both eyes with painkiller and did some tests. Lady luck shone on me (I have blue eyes and so was even more at risk) and I didn't have any retina damage. The medics rightly gave me a proper telling off and made it clear to me how lucky I'd been. I spent the next two days in bed, often crying with pain.

I then went out and bought some large wrap-around glasses by Carrera which I loved because they were very low tinted yet Category 4, and didn't restrict my peripheral vision. I've since moved on to normal goggles because I value the switchable lens system. Naturally, I'll never go out in snow without protection again!

But I still sort of hate wearing these things; I'm naturally quite tolerant to sunlight (hence me not feeling the need to wear any protection in the first place), and although I've mostly got over the peripheral vision thing, I find that all eye protection changes the perspective in a quite-hard-to-explain way that sometimes makes me misstep; I wear them when mountain climbing due to that past experience, but I still take them off temporarily when tackling things that require accurate balance/placing/judgement. I mostly put up with it though; there are few things more worth protecting than your eyes!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@dewsbury, you are insane.

Altitude = increased UV
Snow = increased UV

They don't call it snow blindness for nothing.

And it is not always temporary.

You MUST WEAR apprpriate eye protection skiing.

You really should wear appropriate eye protection in the sun.

Are you older than , say, 12?

End of.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Darwin Award
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Now I agree with everything that's been said about wearing sunglasses (regardless of what I said above) ..I've just go no idea why he's asking "any comments" - he must be happy in his decision. What sort of comments was he expecting?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I can't even drive during daylight without sunglasses...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No way. You'll hurt your eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@queen bodecia, +1 and it doesn't have to be sunny. Blue eyes are the culprit apparently Puzzled
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Waffle, I never knew that. I have blue eyes too. Every day is a school day... wink
snow report
Not qualified to comment re snowblindness... But I suggest you must be skiing very slowly and in the warm if you can avoid streaming eyes without some sort of protection! wink
snow report
Thanks Pyremaniac for your informative understanding response.

Your advice is appreciated. Your comment "quite-hard-to-explain way that sometimes makes me misstep" certainly has a familiar feeling to me.
When I am driving I sometimes remove my glasses because they seem to get in the way when doing a tricky manoevre. (Relax folks, my glasses are not very strong!).

I'll check out your Carrera suggestion.
snow report
equinoxranch wrote:
Darwin Award

Harsh but fair.
snow conditions
It's crazy. Did it once for a few days when I lost some sunglasses. Did for about four days by which time I could barely see.
ski holidays
Snow reflects a rough average of 90% of the UV light that strikes it. Probably (to my mind) a little less in reality due to dirt/dust etc. Great way to screw your eyesight up.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 8-01-15 9:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
As the OP, I've never worn sun glasses or goggles.
(Somewhat like my grandfather and his ancestors!)
ski holidays

Inuit have been wearing them for ever, it's the snow that's the problem.
snow report
dewsbury wrote:
As the OP, I've never worn sun glasses or goggles.
(Somewhat like my grandfather and his ancestors!)

Did they ski?

Any decent quality sports/cycling shades shouldn't affect your peripheral vision. I've even been know to panic, thinking I've left mine behind in a cafe, only to find I'm wearing them.
snow report
@dewsbury, @Pyremaniac,

Firstly let me say that I am not an expert, but having worked closely with ophthalmologists for over 7yrs, might I suggest that you have your eyes checked for astigmatism if you're finding your sight compromised by lenses (it's the curved surface that does it).

As others have noted, continued exposure to UV radiation will cause cataracts, it's simply a matter of time; and whilst blue eyes are indeed quicker to develop, all shades are vulnerable.
snow report
Apart from the danger posed by over-exposure to UV light, goggles also protect the eyes and surrounding area from physical damage. I remember one of my class mates took a ski pole to the face on a school skiing trip. The lens of his goggles were cracked but they were enough to deflect the pole and he was left with only a scratch below his eye.
ski holidays
Not sure what you're looking for here. I would lend you goggles; if you refused to use them I would refuse to ride with you.

If you only ride indoors, on plastic, or at night, and only slowly, I suppose it may work

In the Alps in the sun you will go snowblind. Expect incapacity and pain.
ski holidays
Rarely have a seen a more stupid topic than this thread.

If you want to go blind, continue... guaranteed you won't be asking us our opinions when you do - and, I won't feel sorry for you. Why do you think eye protection comes with UV filter on them? some kind of marketing scam to make you think you'll damage your eyes, or the fact that we now understand what damage UV does to our skin and eyes. Tell me, do you not wear sunscreen because it makes your skin shiny? don't moan when you get melanoma!

restricted peripheral vision or no vision... let me think about that for a sec!
latest report
Snowblindness is basically sunburn on your cornea. Very painful... http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=19378
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I knew someone with some strange opinions, one of which was that sunglasses were for wusses. He developed a blind spot after skiing with sunglasses, which scared the **** out of him. Fortunately it was temporary. After that, he wore sunglasses.
ski holidays
Quote:

He developed a blind spot after skiing with sunglasses,

I think you mean WITHOUT sunglasses.
snow report
Insiders wrote:
Why do you think eye protection comes with UV filter on them? some kind of marketing scam to make you think you'll damage your eyes,

YES! JUST LIKE HELMETS!! [/comedy goldsmith]
latest report
I saw a schoolmate go down with snowblindness on a trip to Italy in 1973. Very unpleasant, very painful and a truly pitiful sight (!). Wouldn't dream of skiing without eye protection after that.

I would urge @dewsbury, (is the clue in't name?) to try to find something that works for him - or the consequences could be appalling.
latest report
Got to be a troll because if it was true he'd be too blind to post....
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
I can't even drive during daylight without sunglasses...

I had my biannual eyetest just before Xmas. I got into trouble from my optician for not using my shaded glasses routinely when driving. I have started to do so. I would always wear goggles or sunglasses when skiing and sunglasses when cycling. I am no expert but it is not something I'd like to gamble on.
latest report
I skiied for 5 days at La Plagne recently, all of them pretty sunny. I had goggles out with me the first 4 days and sunglasses the last day. I mainly used the goggles on the lifts cos it was often baltic. I did use the sunglasses the last day because it was very bright. In between, more often than not I skied quite happily without wearing any eye protection. From reading this thread it would appear that I should have gone instantly blind, I haven't. I saw many other people skiing without eye protection and none of them went instantly blind either.

Now I agree that it's maybe more sensible to protect your eyes whilst skiing when, especially when the sun is shining, but some of the comment in here is ridiculous overkill!

Edit: Unless as a relative newbie here I'm missing the joke?
latest report
@Pyremaniac, Interesting point about the miss-step, I often start a rock climb with sunnies on to protect the eyes then take them off as the play havoc with depth perception, particularly in areas of high contrast.
@dewsbury, years ago it was frowned upon for outdoor instructors to wear sunglasses, now they are positively encouraged to do so, particularly on water. For years i hated them then realised I spent all day squinting, a bit like that photo of the Inuit.
snow report
Seriously! Put some sunglasses on. I am not a fan of goggles unless its a whiteout but do wear at least Cat 3 glasses.

On a sunny day I cant see the slope correctly without some protection.
ski holidays
@dewsbury, get yourself a pair of good goggles or at the very least wrap-around sunglasses (cycling glasses have been sensibly suggested) which don't impair your peripheral vision too much, and spend some time getting used to them. You can probably find some without too much of a tint, which at least cut out the ultraviolet. Whatever you may think, it's not a 'different strokes for different folks' thing, and that you're fortunate enough not to need them. You do need them. Everybody needs them. If anything, you're unfortunate that your body isn't giving you the warning signs. I sometimes look with envy on people who can down loads of alcohol without getting hangovers in the morning, but actually hangovers may be helpful in preventing long term liver damage, because at least you're getting timely warnings.
snow report
I always wear them as I wear contact lenses and my eyes stream massively if I try without, not to mention the improvement they give me in perceptionwhen the light is crap. I always make my kids wear them too, one has got Irlens which is a visual perception disorder so the tint is brilliant for him.

Each to their own, it's your body, you can abuse it as you wish wink
latest report
@Ravelin, sounds as though it wasn't so bright on the first days? If you're skiing in cloud or the light's not so good you won't get into trouble as quickly as if it's sunny, obviously. Last day it was so bright you had to wear sunnies? Well, there you go then.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy