Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter Tyres again...but what about the spare?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a full set of winter tyres on my skoda octavia scout but I have discovered i seem to have a slightly bent rear wheel, so going to swap with the spare wheel, however the spare only has a standard summer tyre on it, (same size as the winters) so will need to swap tyres and balance...more money rolling eyes

Got me thinking, do many people have a spare with a winter tyre on it? or just the 4 winters on the car and a summer as a spare. (or even a correctly sized spare at all? as my winter and summer tyres are very different sizes)

On most cars if you put that summer shod spare on in slippy conditions it would just spin up that wheel as has less grip, with an open diff all the power would just go to the slipping wheel, also would it be legal?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
my winter and summer tyres are exactly the same size. My spare is a summer tyre, but I reckon it wouldn't be on for long. Can't cover all bases. wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
and after all, a lot of cars don't have spares at all. Mine didn't have one, as standard, it's been fitted in a cage slung underneath, as I would never drive a car without a spare, in the Alps.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@carroz, i don't think you get winter space savers, for example... snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pam w, My summer wheels are huge things (not my choice) and you can't get chains to fit them and not hit the suspension, so I have little wheels with winter tyres! that will fit chains
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My winters are smaller 16" I bought a fifth rim and same winter tyre as existing. Had 4mm of tread, just enough, still better than a summer would be. Had the tyre taken off the rim to check it. I keep my cars a while otherwise I might not have bothered.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My Subaru comes with a space saver spare, but in a full size spare whel cavity.

I just bought a spare rim from a scrappy and put a matching winter tyre on it.

If I get a puncture in the winter...all good.
If I get a puncture in the summer it is all good too as there are no problems with running one winter for a short while, you will never compromise safety in that way, but you might if you run one summer with three winters.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When I chose my car I insisted on being able to carry a full size spare and having same size summer and winter tyres. Seemed a lot more important than some of the daft "selling points " they come up with.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Makes me chuckle that Land Rover put a space saver on the Discovery. Not a lot of good in a field and I simply wouldn't use one on snow. First thing I did was buy another two sets of wheels (full sets tend to be better value than individual wheels). One set got winter tyres and the other set got split, with one getting a winter tyre, one a summer tyre then I sold the two leftovers......

For more than I paid for the full set.

Helps that I have a barn to store them in and give me somewhere dry to change the wheels over. Appreciate not everyone is that fortunate, and if I didn't have that space I'd definitely go with keeping the winter spare under the car 365 days a year, as per rungsp.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
and after all, a lot of cars don't have spares at all. Mine didn't have one, as standard, it's been fitted in a cage slung underneath, as I would never drive a car without a spare, in the Alps.

Didn't you say in another thread that you drive a Vauxhall Zafira? It certainly should have a spare as standard!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have a full sized wheel as a spare on my Forester so when I renewed my winter tyres recently I stuck one of the old ones with 5mm tread on it as a spare. But a car with three winter tyres and any old spare should be OK for limping down to a garage or tyre centre.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No space for a spare on our s-max but have two spares in the garage, only needed a spare (1mile from home, that's how far mrs T got before realising she had a flat, almost new tyre wrecked) once in 155,000miles
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Pyremaniac, yes, a Zafira but had to pay extra for a cage and spare. Previous Multipla had a misnamed space saver immediately replaced by a full size spare which fitted perfectly in the same space.

My resolve was stiffened by a flat discovered on a Sunday morning driving home from the alps. Wheel changed no problem but absolutely impossible to replace the spare in France or Switzerland. Without a spare we'd have been seriously delayed. A flat on a mountain road in the dark with no spare.......!

Costly and inconvenient.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy