Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be ...

brian
brian
Check out this brilliant set of old Scottish skiing pics from the winterhighland forum.

This is the Haggis Trap in Glencoe taken in 1957, apparently they used to have FIS downhill races through it Shocked

Bizarre, the things you never knew, eh ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
brian, When haircuts were value for money! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Those pics are fantastic!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
brian, brilliant! And scarily, some of the Glenshee ones bring back (very early) memories, although it was probably 1971 before I first was taken there. It hadn't changed much (unlike today).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fantastic shots, and it proves a point about Scottish skiing - I reckon peoples' expectations have grown in line with increased alpine accessability as much as snow cover has reduced in recent years. Looking at those shots (Notably Glas Maol in february), it makes me wonder whether the epic winters of the 80's were an oasis of good fortune in a desert of marginal conditions, where you take things for what they are?
How times have changed - imagine doing downhills today through the haggis trap!!
latest report
 brian
brian
paulmck, we may well have been spoiled by the late 70s to late 80s. I've heard folk talking of rubbish winters in the 60s before. For instance, after the bumper year of 62/63, Glenshee built the sunnyside tow for the new season. In 63/64, they managed to run it for a grand total of 7 days !
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
it makes me wonder whether the epic winters of the 80's were an oasis of good fortune in a desert of marginal conditions, where you take things for what they are?

Quote:
I've heard folk talking of rubbish winters in the 60s before.

Look at some of the recent poor seasons, and in short, we have been here before. Those who have been in this game since the start will tell you that some of the 60's winters were every bit as dire as the worst of the 90s.

From the early 70's through till the tail end of the 80's we were however in the COOL phase of the Atlantic Multidecadal Osscillation, which favours much greater frequency of negative NAO (North Atlantic Osscillation) conditions. That, the same mid 70s to the late 80's period is also regarded as the halcyon days of Scottish Snowsports is no co-incidence.

It's cyclical, and cycles go round, our time will come again. We've been in the WARM phase since about 88/89, and we're pretty much due a change! We are also on the downwards path to the next solar minimum from a double maximum in 2002, and there is some evidence that lower solar activity tends to mean a less active Atlantic, ie less zonality. For a longer term ramp though, this from the Met Office:

Quote:
the next NAO Mutldecadal Ossccllation transition may bring natural THC weakening, adding to that projected to occur as a result of human-induced climate change.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

the next NAO Mutldecadal Ossccllation transition may bring natural THC weakening,

I thought that THC stood for tetra-hydrocannabinol.

This could be baaaad news!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy