Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR Gebroulaz SW couloir and St Peres middle couloir

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A rare day off (and no kids to look after), a few new bits and bobs to try out, and a curiosity to see how the snow was all combined to get me motivated for a bit of a wander above Val Thorens today.

First target was the SW couloir of the Mont Gebroulaz - the obvious dogleg couloir in the pic below:

From below the whole of the couloir looked to have a reasonable fill of snow (apart from the narrows at the bottom...) so I went up to have a look, choosing to climb the couloir rather than take the easy option of skinning round and dropping in from the summit. The advantage of not being lazy is that you get to check out the snow as you climb - as it turned out the looker's right side of the couloir was well-consolidated, but with a cheeky refrozen crust on top, while left of centre wind-blown snow had accumulated on top of varying degrees of looseness underneath. Avoidable up until the dogleg but caution prevailed when it was no longer possible to stay off the slabby accummulations as the couloir narrowed and turned.

Ready to roll:

Skiing down was 'interesting' - there was a really nice strip of snow about 1m50 wide - further left and the surface was definitely very shiny, further right and it would have been too risky...

Exiting the couloir I cut across for the short skin and bootpack up to the St Pères couloirs - heading for the 3rd option which I hadn't skied for years.

Looking back from the top of the bootpack; short but steep:

As expected it didn't look fantastic... but I wasn't expecting it to be quite that firm - occasionally thin layers of soft snow gave a soft turn or two, but mostly it was a good work out for the edges!

Looking down from the col:

Still a good day to be out and up high stimulating some red blood cell creation. And all good training for something (not sure what...).

View back up the St Pères from about 1/2 way:

If you are heading out then watch out for firm slab overlying some really soft layers, and sharpen your edges for other aspects Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some video to follow once I download from my new camera...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's that word 'interesting' again - covers a multitude of conditions!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That crust in the third pic from bottom looks like it might just get all the way to "character-building" from "interesting" Very Happy

THanks for posting OPS
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jedster, agreed Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
And a quick edit - well impressed with my new GoPro 4 Silver - straight out of the box, no fancy settings and it copes really well with sunny slopes and shade...

Couloir scratching - 6 Jan 2015 from Simon Christy
https://vimeo.com/116138654
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Meh, Townsend would've straightlined that bitch!

On the other hand +props!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
looks spicey
nice to see some double pole plants in there Cool
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@homers double, hmmm, I think even the mighty Mr Townsend may have been tempted to put in a fair few turns in its current state... unless of course you are talking about Pete Townsend in which case obviously he would have straight-lined it switch while playing the intro chords to Pinball Wizard, complete with windmilling right arm Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
At least Pete would have had his axe with him Wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@offpisteskiing, Nice one. Wanting to give the St Peres runs a go on the EOSB... Hopefully in softer conditions Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy