Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid Layer Trouser

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Folks,

I've got a pair of Rab Neo Guide Trousers which I plan to use for skiing and winter walking. I've got an ice breaker basic merino base layer but am struggling to come up with a good choice of insulated mid layer for wearing under the shell trousers.

So far I have come up with:

North Face 100 Glacier Pant
Rab Power Stretch Pant or
Mountain Equipment Eclipse Pant

They are all made of different and I have no idea how to compare how warm they will be. I would like something that keeps me warm while on a ski lift as well as when I am moving.

Anyone got an thoughts?

Cheers,

Malcolm.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get some Sweet Protection Saviour pants and use them as your only layer under a shell when it's cold, and use the Ice Breakers as a single layer when it's warm.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go retro and get some Ron hill trackster running pants, they only cost about £20ish and can be used as base,mid, or (if in public) as a top layer for walking, cycling, running etc......they just work for most things.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 for the Sweet Protection Saviour pants.......best mid layer I've owned!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another fan of sweet protection saviour pants. Best base layers around
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
3 pairs of trousers? Srsly?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@lionrampant,

£45 for North face generic 100 weight "classic" polartec?

You are having your winkle picked.

And why three layers? Really? Even I don't do that. Except last week in -17 ambient + wind chill.

There are almost if not completely identical other than colour and £7.99 http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-50-tights-id_8228617.html
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've tried a few options for wearing under shell pants. My favourite is a pair of lycra running shorts under a pair of Ron Hill Tracksters.

If it is very cold I've found lycra shorts under two pairs of Ron Hills to be more comfortable than more conventional combinations of base layer plus mid layer.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
? 3 layers of trousers?

I've been is conditions really dam cold(-20) and only used my marino base layer and shell trousers and been fine. Guess i must be lucky and have warm legs!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I used to wear just base layers under shell pants, but some miserable cold chair lift rides convinced me that it is not always enough.

We're all different though, metabolism and body fat and all that. I think what you're wearing on your top half can make a difference too.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I really like my powerstretch tights, they are like the Rab ones but mine happened to be Lowe Alpine. I rarely wear three layers (although I did for a couple of days over new year when it was -15, didn't overheat) but like the flexibility of the various combinations

Shell only - mild spring
Shell and 3/4 length merino base - most conditions
Shell and powerstretch tights - cold
Shell / PS tights / merino base layer - very cold

I find powerstretch tights wick very well and give really free movement (stretch plus smooth outer face slides well against shell)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the advice.

I'm used to skiing in insulated trousers with a base layer hence why I was looking for a mid layer to mimic this combination - my old trousers have bitten the dust and the shells seemed more flexible . While I tend to run hot while exercising I have found in my later years that I feel the cold more on a chair lift. I'm also going to be skiing with the kids who are beginers so a lot of hanging around and moving slowly.

@under_a_new_name - I wouldn't be paying £45 but have found a deal on them. I've also found ones at go outdoors for tenner.

For the Sweet Protection fans - I'll have a look at them. Always nice to get multiple recommendations!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jedster - your layering options is exactly what I am looking to buy for. Thanks for explaining better than I did.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy