Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cramp in My Calves As Soon As I Put on My Boots!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am an accomplished skier and it is my favourite pastime. Unfortunately I suffer from terrible cramps in my calves and spend my days skiing constantly loosening my boots between runs, sinking pain killers, and shaking my feet vigorously on the chair lifts to east the pain.

The pain/cramps typical start even before I have skied anywhere as soon as I have put my boots on.

I wear custom fitted Atomic boots for an aggressive skier. My feet are tight and cosy, but not painful, it is just my calves.

Does anyone else suffer the same, and what is the cure? The people I ski regular with don't suffer the same!!! I don't think it is my technique as the problems start even before I have started skiing.

Thank you.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have larger calves and suffer the same problem - recently bought some Atomic boots from S&R but still have same problem - I'm planning on going in to the shop to see what they can do. I've pinned it down to the sides of the tongue pressing into the sides of my 'wider' calves and creating pain (and bruises!) at the sides.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ankle flexion- are the boots pushing you to the limit of the flex? In which case heel lifts might help. Or is the boot too high up the calf causing compression. Had nightmares with initial hire boots as was hanging off calf muscle when skiing, foot goes numb, no proprioception, splat...

Solved by boots from CEM with moulded superfeet with heel lifts included. Now only suffer when I try to operate the toe brake!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It sounds like your calf muscles might be tight. I used to have this problem. Do you wear heels much? (If you say only at weekends I'll know you're a bloke). Do you run?

I found it made a massive difference to do calf stretches a couple of times a day (at least) in the run up to skiing.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rgardnerski, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Sounds painful. Maybe you should try renting a pair of basic beginner style boots and see if that helps. And yes, the calf stretches too. With straight and bent legs, to target both lots of calf muscles.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Agree with the above, if the boots have a lot of forward lean and you have tight calves it can be pretty much untenable. Heel lifts, stretching exercise and then if that fails, less aggressive boots. I came out of pair of 'expert' salomon boots into some more relaxed head edge and never looked back!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 7-01-15 22:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A good idea may be to get a plastic adjustable wobble board (about 15 quid) and do 15 mins twice a day working on flexing your ankles.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy