Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow and Rock comments on 'The North Face'

Poster: A snowHead
I was in the Covent Garden Snow and Rock yesterday, and overheard the sales assistant: A punter wanted a 'The North Face' jacket, and the assistant said that 'The North Face' are now owned by the same parent company as 'Sports Direct' and are heading down a quality slippery slope and will probably end up stacked high on the shelves of 'Sports Direct' with 80% discounts. He then went on to do a hard sell on 'Salamon' jackets, saying they were a solid company that have been around for ever and will be around to to address issues if you have any. Etc. Etc.

Now I believe that is the case for 'Nevica', but 'The North Face' ?

Sales BS ?
Better commission on Salamon?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am sure I read that the directors of North Face would do almost anything to avoid Mike Ashley getting his hands on North Face (I think it was when The outdoor group was in distress) but the guy is as sharp as a whip when it comes to business so I wouldn't be surprised if he is now in control.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
North Face have been slipping down the 'sportswear' path for a while. Their top end stuff is still good, the rest tends to appear sat above fat bellies, grey joggers and knock-off Uggs. Confused

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 6-01-15 11:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well, the North Face is owned by VF Corporation which AFAIK has nothing to do with Sports Direct
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mollerski wrote:
North Face have been slipping down the 'sportswear' path for a while. Their top end stuff is still good, the rest tends to appear sat above fat bellies, grey joggers and knock-off Uggs. Confused

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Very, very surprising - and I don't think it's true.

Saying that, I do have a North Face parka that is into its third if not fourth season. The materials are top notch, the only weak spot I found was the zip which I managed to mung up and lose teeth. A quality tailor and £30 later and the jacket is now as good as new. Cheaper than doing an RTM to North Face to get it fixed and with an OEM-or-better zip quality.

On the other hand I wouldn't have a go at The North Face for that, more YKK who've let their quality slip markedly in recent years.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike Ashley has a chunky shareholding, but does not control or own NF.
NF have been resolved to spurn his advances and have totally ignored and repulsed all of his attempts to influence them in any way.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good - I have a bunch of their stuff from bags to clothing and I have zero issues with them. Well made, do the job, look alright and seem robust.

Just as well really as they're the only decent winter sports stockist, along with Columbia, here in Dubai. Prices are comparable with the rest of the world it seems which is also quite rare.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Think there might be some confusion here (at S&R as well as fellow snowHeads). Mike Ashley has nothing to do with TNF, he does however have a ~29% stake in Blacks.

Sports Direct do indeed now own Nevica
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
...and a few others too:

http://www.sportsdirectplc.com/our-brands/sports-and-leisure.aspx
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
TNF have been going high street for a while. Their top end and Summit Series stuff is still great though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
a friend of mine is in charge of TNF in Europe and he doesn't half bite when I tell him that TNF is now a fashion brand and not a proper outdoor company wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
But does the fact that mothers on the school run are wearing TNF mean that they won't keep you warm and dry on the mountain? A bit of brand snobbishness here, perhaps?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
not sure whose post you might be referring to @pam w, I'm simply letting on how I wind a mate up, not what I think of their gear.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 wrote:
Their top end and Summit Series stuff is still great though.

The Freestinker is the tops I think you'll find. wink
latest report
pam w wrote:
A bit of brand snobbishness here, perhaps?

Too right! Very Happy
snow report
VF own TNF and have for a while. TNF still do good stuff as well as more fashion stuff but who cares? It;'s where the money is made.

Amer Sports own Salomon. I'd say Salomon stuff was less technical at the top end and as fashion-y as TNF.

The list of what Sports Direct own is quite depressing, I used to love Karrimor stuff but ever since Benetton bought it it’s been going downhill. Hopefully Slazenger won’t do the same.
latest report
Can you imagine how Mike Parsons feels about Karrimor?
snow report
abd wrote:
a friend of mine is in charge of TNF in Europe and he doesn't half bite when I tell him that TNF is now a fashion brand and not a proper outdoor company wink

Your pal needs to go to work to identify his market and protect his brand.

It happened down here with surf brands. Genuine surfers wouldn't now go near the well known surf brands unless paid to wear it. When surfwear became sportswear for the masses, surfers dropped it like hot spuds. Big corps bought out the bigger names and slowly they died, I see parallels with TNF.
ski holidays
I walk past Lillywhites every day and it always makes me sad how it has gone from the sports version of John Lewis to an oversized Sports Direct Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
I walk past Lillywhites every day and it always makes me sad how it has gone from the sports version of John Lewis to an oversized Sports Direct Crying or Very sad

Really? I used to love Lillywhites as a kid. Sad
ski holidays
TNF have been on a slippery slope ever since they stopped making proper winter gear in Glasgow in mid 90's and went manufacturing in the east, and became a high street fashion......ive got a padded gilet and old-school mountain range jacket wreck which are OK for bar hopping in an evening in the Alps but their gear is more Chilterns than Chamonix these days IMO.
ski holidays
What about RAB, not dissimilar, they seem to be on same path eh?.......I remember them in back streets of Sheffield in the early 80's, now it's a Go Outdoors mainstay.
latest report
the couple of north face bits of kit I've had, I've been less than impressed with. a couple of washes and it was gone.
to be honest I associate TNF with fashion rather than skiing. Also never liked the logo on the back.. labels are for the inside not the outside imho
latest report
So what brands are effective at keeping me dry and warm?
ski holidays
ringingmaster wrote:

Lots. rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:

What about RAB, not dissimilar, they seem to be on same path eh?.......I remember them in back streets of Sheffield in the early 80's, now it's a Go Outdoors mainstay.

A Rab Kinder smock, with duct tape patch, used to be the de-rigeur jacket for the discerning Peak climber. Rab is owned by Equip, as is Lowe Alpine. They seem to be pushing Rab to a more budget barnd and keeping Lowe Alpine as a more premium brand (as they’ve re-started the clothing line).

I'll stick to ME, Hyde's finest!

Quote:

Can you imagine how Mike Parsons feels about Karrimor?

Did he not sell Karrimor and keep KIMM which became OMM? It all seemed to be his choice and he never seemd disgruntled about it. I’m pretty sure he’s retired from it all now.
ski holidays
Quote:

Cool non-commercial ones.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mollerski wrote:
ringingmaster wrote:

Lots. rolling eyes

Helpful ! Puzzled
latest report
He did sell Karrimor and then also OMM and yes he's retired, however it must be sad to see that once pioneering outdoors brand that was once Karrimor be reduced to what it is today. I'm not sure that it's particularly depressing his retirement though! wink
snow report
There was an article in issue 74 or 75 of Summit about the decline of outdoor gear manufacturing in the UK, and it's more recent (if small scale) resurgence, it was interesting reading (if you like that kind of stuff).
ski holidays
Quote:

There was an article in issue 74 or 75 of Summit about the decline of outdoor gear manufacturing in the UK, and it's more recent (if small scale) resurgence, it was interesting reading (if you like that kind of stuff).

Interesting but I did think i did read a bit like who sponsers us gets a good write up though. Lots of "designed in UK"/"finished in UK" style comments for bigger BMC supporting brands. If you want stuff actually made in the UK you get quite niche, PHD, Cioch Gear, Aiguille Alpine etc
latest report
isn't Montane made in the UK? PhD stuff rocks
snow report
pam w wrote:
But does the fact that mothers on the school run are wearing TNF mean that they won't keep you warm and dry on the mountain? A bit of brand snobbishness here, perhaps?

To a degree, yes. My only problem is that a lot of their more high-street quality stuff is a lot more expensive than similar quality form other brands. Whereas I think their Summit Series is as good as any (at least in terms of materials, the Scandis and Arcteryx are still ahead on design details IMO), and often a bit cheaper than the equivalents.

I had a pair of TNF Hyvent salopettes that were great and took an absolute beating before being retired, and actually I still lend them out to people occasionally.

Their gloves on the other hand roayally suck - I got through two pairs (on warranty) in the space of about six weeks.
snow conditions
Quote:

isn't Montane made in the UK?

No. "5 factories across Europe and Asia"
latest report
ringingmaster wrote:
Mollerski wrote:
ringingmaster wrote:

Lots. rolling eyes

Helpful ! Puzzled

It's such a 'piece of string' question. How much do you want to spend? Purely for skiing? etc. etc.

Brand snobbishness (guilty), brand loyalty etc also come into the mix.

Price is probably the key. If you're OK with shelling out £500 for a jacket, the World's your oyster. If not, how much are you happy to spend?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy