Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I.C.E. QR helmet stickers - ski, cycle, motorbike, construction.

Poster: A snowHead
I.C.E. (In Case of Emergency) helmet stickers

Emergency services and road safety groups have been encouraging the use of some sort of sticker in helmets for years now. Very worthwhile I think.

I have just got a sticker for my ski helmet from http://www.cerql.co.uk
There are other providers out there on the net though.

The code is scanned to show photos and medical & next of kin contact information vital for paramedics and first responders.

It might be wise not to add your address though as they can be scanned by anyone. Maybe add your driving licence number as police can trace you from this if necessary.

I put my info. in three languages on my sticker - there is a French/English example which I paired down and a while on Google Translate sorted out the Italian section. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@skismurf....... Ali bumped fyi. Very Happy C.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or a stenciled mobile number seems popular with parents for their kid's.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice idea in theory, but as the QR technology seems to be disappearing by the hour I'm not convinced. Not sure I know a single person with QR scanner software on their phone anymore. I downloaded it a couple of years ago, but found it a complete waste of time and subsequently deleted it. Only adverts seems to have codes and 99% of the time that I did scan the code I didn't have connectivity to see what it said. Not sure why the phone manufacturers didn't bundle a scanner as standard, but I think their refusal to do so was what sounded the death knell for QR. Pity really, it was a good idea.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Nice idea in theory, but as the QR technology seems to be disappearing by the hour I'm not convinced. Not sure I know a single person with QR scanner software on their phone anymore. ...

I have it, and use it occasionally.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There is also a company called "Road ID" that do wrist or dog tag ID's and use the same principle of logging on line to get your details. Any system like this is a great idea I think.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I set the owner info message on my phone, so it shows ICE contact details on the lock screen
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whilst on the EoSB a fellow Snowhead scanned my sticker on his phone and it immediately came up with my details. 😀
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The last thing a first responder would do is start QR scanning. An almost pointless product.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@foxtrotzulu, I could see that for "retail" use but I was under the impression that for professional use (e.g. labelling of medical supplies) that there was a EU or even global initiative to standardise its use?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We use these at work http://www.thesafetysupplycompany.co.uk/p/7093625/Worker-Identity-ID-Sticker---For-All-Hard-Hats-Helmets---BL-.html?gclid=CKTU0b7MncUCFWrpwgodexQAzQ#.VUHmBCFViko

(Sorry for the long link)

I keep one of these on my transceiver http://www.imprintitems.com/custom/12189211. Its handy as all the info is on the USB one end and on paper at the other end. I just tell those im skiing with that its on me, and that theres a spare copy in my hotel room should they need it later (for calling next of kin)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My brother has a QR code on the back of his business card. I thought this was a great idea to make inputting contact data faster. However, I gather he won't continue with it as he reckons from people's comments that nobody ever uses it.

@under a new name,
Quote:

@foxtrotzulu, I could see that for "retail" use but I was under the impression that for professional use (e.g. labelling of medical supplies) that there was a EU or even global initiative to standardise its use?

Possibly, I wasn't aware of that.

Back to the original idea of helmet stickers for skiers (and others) This idea has very limited advantages over a driving license kept in your wallet. I have just looked at the 3G coverage of the Alps, and it's pretty non-existent. What is the combined likelihood of any first responder having a QR scanning app AND having 3g reception? Do they have time for any of that? If people killing time in airport terminals aren't using them then I really can't see much likelihood of the emergency services doing so.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Better off just having a card with details on in a wallet or pocket, or your ICE details on your phone. By the time someone would be looking for ICE details you may well have been separated from your helmet anyway - the only thing people at the medical centre will be looking at your helmet for will be signs of impact.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Would prefer dogtag type thing with clear human readable ID, contact details, etc.
Human readable is instantly obvious. QR codes could contain anything. QR in addition to human readable? sure, why not, but it should be moot. ICE on the phone - was a thread on another forum about this, of which several participants are both cops and paramedics, and the impression I got was that they won't look there, but it does no harm (assuming it shows above any lock screen).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

What is the combined likelihood of any first responder having a QR scanning app AND having 3g reception? Do they have time for any of that?

The chances of them using a QR scanner is zero anyway. Do they have time? No, they are busy checking vital signs, airway etc. Most of the time up around the head/neck end which is why a dog tag gets noticed before any other form of medical ID.
snow report
I suppose if you accidentally leave your helmet in a bar, it might find its way back to you...

My experience with QR codes generally shows that a) people don't know what they are, b) they know but have no way of scanning them, c) they have a scanner but would never bother anyway. I have a scanner on my phone, but tbh the only thing I have used it for is to test QR codes when applying them to marketing materials, materials which also require a human-readable URL for all the people who can't/won't scan a QR code.

However, QR codes are used on airport apps for electronic boarding passes. I used this system for the first time last week at the EoSB rather than paper and it worked well except that I had to keep handing my phone to all and sundry. No data connection is required if you add the pass before you go, you just need enough battery life to get you to the plane.

For emergency use, human-readable will always be preferable. If you need to communicate something about your health to a first responder, it needs to happen without them having to *do* anything.
snow report
PaulC1984 wrote:
We use these at work http://www.thesafetysupplycompany.co.uk/p/7093625/Worker-Identity-ID-Sticker---For-All-Hard-Hats-Helmets---BL-.html?gclid=CKTU0b7MncUCFWrpwgodexQAzQ#.VUHmBCFViko

^^ Thanks, I've just ordered a couple snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy