Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Most Interesting Ski Areas

Poster: A snowHead
I have lived a sheltered life of only ever going to the 3 Valleeys... But now in my 20's I can go wherever the hell I want! snowHead

My question however, where to head next, loads of people recommend Espace Killy and also Obergurgl. Had one person tell me America is a whole lot better.

When I look at the piste maps, nowhere seems to have the endless possibilities of the 3 Valleeys, so close to the slopes, going between valleys and villages etc. and when
I look at America there seems to be very few lifts/run in comparison.

I love the feeling of exploring that large area that the 3 Valleeys has to offer and have been every year for the last 5 and don't feel like I've seen it all so am heading to VT this friday and Meribel late feb!

Any suggestions/information/experiences would be greatly appreciated!

LK
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@lgkersh, If you love exploring then it's got to be the Dolomites - there are more exploratory outings to be had there than in the 3V or perhaps anywhere.

I've skied in the States a dozen times and it has its appeal, but big areas and scope aren't really part of that - I'd see more of Europe first.

In France, Paradiski is a vast area that you'd like and that would feel familiar.

In Austria the Ski Welt area (in good conditions) is huge and varied and great fun to whizz around visiting the different villages.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 5-01-15 21:29; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Define interesting? I've had some of my best ski days on a single hill using just a few lifts. If you are just looking for piste miles then 3V seems like your kind of place, but maybe expand your horizons in terms of the type of skiing you enjoy. Also many ski areas offer a very different experience to 3V. Just try and a different country for starters.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
These are just the large linked areas I've been to:

Espace Killy
4 Valleys
Zillertal
Arlberg
Via Lattea
Portes du Soleil

Also Chamonix valley but less linked than the others.

All have lots of varity and miles of pistes and off-piste. Great villages, towns and nightlife
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 for the Dolomites. Beautiful scenery, different valleys to visit each day, better (and cheaper) food than France. Stay in Arabba if you want the hardest skiing. Might also be worth looking at Les Portes du Soleil if you like France.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks already for so much info! Also should mention I love getting the night train! But isnt a must I guess... I do love 8 full days of skiing though! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
waynos wrote:
Define interesting? I've had some of my best ski days on a single hill using just a few lifts. If you are just looking for piste miles then 3V seems like your kind of place, but maybe expand your horizons in terms of the type of skiing you enjoy. Also many ski areas offer a very different experience to 3V. Just try and a different country for starters.

+1

tell us a bit more about yourself. Experience, wants from a ski holiday, type of skiing you like and nightlife required. Budget?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
waynos wrote:

I guess interesting to me is varying runs, mixture of easier and difficult as I do enjoy a black run but I like to be able to include my mates or family on my trips! Also I just love when staying in VT when its bright sunshine flying around the Belleville valley - heading to La Masse, and diving over to Meribel when the weathers not as good to hide in the trees!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ed123 wrote:

+1

tell us a bit more about yourself. Experience, wants from a ski holiday, type of skiing you like and nightlife required. Budget?

Nightlife not too bothered, nice to have a few descent bars around and a good apres ski bar. Budget - again I <3 Skiing so will happily spend all my money on nothing else! but generally the others I ski with would rather not spend over £800 for a week, I could probs push them to £1000 though! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
1. Chamonix- stay in Chamonix- it's still France but totally different to 3V. Take a lesson or two and try the Valle Blanche. Great Apres, great scenery, the skiing will either blow your mind (if you have a think about th eoff piste) or not. Very easy to get to from Geneva.

2. Italy- Dolomites- pretty, great food and good value.

3. Austria- beer, sausages and Rock & Roll. Mayerhofen.

4. You may well like Espace Killy (Tignes / Val D'Isere or les Arcs / la Plagne or les gRands Masssif (Flaine) but all a bit samey if you have tried 3V a lot.

5. Andorra?

6. Spain?

7. Zermatt (pricey but good).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well I'd recommend Ski Amade in Austria - where I base myself. Is a huge area though spread over a big distance so not all inter-linked. It's made up of several seperte linked lift areas. If you are happy driving then that really opens up the area and generally very easy valley roads to get around. Skiing is between approx 750 - 2000m though the Dachstein glacier is 2700m. Lower than 3V, means more treeline skiing, really decent snow record so don't let the lower altitude put you off. Typically Austrian with loads of lovely mountain huts, picture postcards villages and towns, plenty of apres (flachau for most lively). Stacks of rodel (sledging, cross country, night skiing, ski touring etc) Really great area to explore and very different to 3V or EK (done lots in both, not knocking, just different). And only an hour or less from Salzburg, 2.5 hours Munich. The most important thing is better beer then 3Vs.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I can echo waynos' comments on Ski Amadé, and I also enjoy the concept of new pistes, new scenery, new huts, new experiences to explore. One of the best things about Ski Amadé is the ability to ski a different 'resort' each day.

However, I do have a further point to add. Last season along with several other snowheads, I did a charity skiing challenge that involved skiing the same run 18 times. I'm sure many piste-km-hungry types would imagine this to be rather boring. However, it certainly was anything but boring. Each time I thought about trying something different, whether it was a different line, shorter radius turns, longer sweeping turns, once I even went down it head down, hardly any turns at all, full speed, imagining I was a downhill racer (I'm sure I looked anything but that!). The point is there's a lot more variety to skiing than simply covering a lot of different piste kilometreage (is that even a word?).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd have to say Zakopane in Poland.It is a world class Ski resort that is largely ignored because of how expensive it is.It has slightly less runs than the 3 valleys but the runs are much more challenging.Check out the Nosal ski resort which has an endless amount of terrain for even the most advanced skier.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@FullyTucked, are you related to stanton? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another vote for the Dolomites! We love skiing Italy, we have been to Los of places, Canada, France, Andorra, Austria, USA, and for us, Italy has it all, not to say none of those places were a bad experience but we love Italy, the people, the cheap good food and wine, can't beat it for us!
latest report
red 27 wrote:
In France, Paradiski is a vast area that you'd like and that would feel familiar.

In Austria the Ski Welt area (in good conditions) is huge and varied and great fun to whizz around visiting the different villages.

I found La Plagne on it's own to be good for a beginner to get some piste miles racked up, imagine that adding in the Les Arcs area would really open it up.
ski holidays
waynos wrote:

+2

Exploring mile after mile of piste motorway has its appeal, but so does doing laps of the tiny, slow Sublette chair in Jackson Hole - every time you can find a different line through the trees, explore a different chute or cut some fresh tracks in the bowl.

Chilling out in a small place like Ste Foye also has its appeal - deserted slopes where you can really let rip, quiet restaurants for a lazy, sophisticated lunch and, with a guide, off-piste that never seems to get tracked out the way it does in the bigger places.

Small villages in Austria and Switzerland are also great: picture-postcard beauty and a laid-back atmosphere that's as far from the madding crowds of the 3V as a remote Greek island is from Blackpool.

There's no such thing as a bad skiing holiday, but there is such a thing as an unappreciative punter who doesn't understand the place they're visiting. Broaden your mind and learn to love something new.
snow report
Ski for the sake of skiing. Each region is on its own. I don't compare, I take each autonomously. Case in point............. My most memorable skiing has taken place in Europe, I guess it always will. By the way, do Scotland and Greece count? Yes and each were wonderful. Poland, too. Maybe some day I'll experience Wales - looks fascinating.
There have been many days in North America; both Obamastan, to a lesser degree Canada that are permanently etched in my psyche and heart, like right now - today was again another great 45k+ day. No one ever seems to talk about Oregon. I will. In a word........, incredible. How many of you have skied in Oregon?
The times spent in Chile and Argentina have always been unique, great and twice in New Zealand, once in Korea and Japan opened my perspective that much further.

There's even skiing in Hawaii. Never been, skiing that is, in Hawaii. How wonderfully wacky - skiing in Hawaii. Are there kama sutra positions for skiing in India? Just askin'

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 6-01-15 5:18; edited 3 times in total
latest report
Love the 3v too....but have you thought about Japan? Utterly different.
ski holidays
Why dont you try les arcs, if you get the Full Paradiski Ski pass there are loads of diferent towns you can drop into and as much variety as you can want.
snow conditions
Perty +1... and Asia too... and the Middle East as well... and of course, the Maurienne valley
ski holidays
Another vote for the Dolomites; Sella Ronda (both ways), Marmolada, Hidden Valley, Cinque Torri and loads more. Although the Dolomiti Superski area is huge there is an entirely different feel to skiing there compared to the French mega resorts. And if you think the Tarentaise is beautiful in winter...
latest report
and another for the dolomites if you've never been then Austria ischgl kitzbuhel skiwelt and best of all saalbach for the total ski holiday
latest report
Looks to me like Dolomites 2016 will be happening! Although also very interested in Austria, have a couple of places I would like to visit en route so would most likely drive there! Thank you all for your most interesting insights!

Ps. Japan sounds intriguing, the only place that really still hasn't interested me is America (despite how fun 'ass-pen' looked in that South Park episode snowHead )
snow conditions
Kirkwood - two of my very best ski days ever!

Nothing wrong with the 3 Vallees, but there's so much more to the sport than just the French 'ski factories'!
ski holidays
@equinoxranch, you're showing off now. Stop it. Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

there's so much more to the sport than just the French 'ski factories'!

indeed, if your idea of "interesting" is to swap one French mega-resort for another, then fine. But there are lots of other ways in which a ski area can be "interesting".
snow conditions
I adore the Dolomites and it's my favourite place to ski. I'm in my forties now and I'm not sure if it would have been my favourite in my twenties when I just wanted to stack up the kilometres. You spend a long time on the lifts in the dolomites -many are old and slow, which adds to the charm for me.
Whistler is the perfect resort really if you're in your twenties - European vertical drop with North American efficiency and lift infrastructure.
Espace Killy is a skiers paradise. Probably better than the three valleys which is essentially two great ski resorts linked by an OK one.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

there's so much more to the sport than just the French 'ski factories'!

indeed, if your idea of "interesting" is to swap one French mega-resort for another, then fine. But there are lots of other ways in which a ski area can be "interesting".

Hence why i started this thread - To expand my mind and widen my experiences of the snow in this world!

I'm not the average Twenty-something year old, and will not be in bed any later than 11 as I do like to hit the first lifts each morning snowHead
latest report
@lgkersh, but your OP did suggest that your key criterion was having "endless possibilities" of pistes to explore. So if you are not just interested in endless mileage, we need to know what else you find interesting.... wink If that big mileage is critical for you, better just swap one French mega-resort for another.
ski holidays
Will people PLEASE stop telling everyone to go to the Dolomites? Pretty soon it'll be as crowded as everywhere else and just as expensive!
ski holidays
No, jma, it's Italy. When the Lire returns, as it inevitably will, it will be cheaper still.
snow conditions
If you like the 3Vs, you will LOVE the Espace Killy. Val d'Isere remains my favourite resort of all (not that I've visited everywhere, but quite a lot of France and Austria). In my opinion the EK has everything - lots of vertical, huge area, great variety of runs - some very long - and brilliant apres. It's quite tough in terms of run grading, but there's wonderful cruising to be had as well. There's even tree-lined skiing in La Daille, Fornet and down to Les Brevieres.

However I really would love to visit the Dolomites as I've heard nothing but good things about the place.
ski holidays
The Three Valleys are great but better still are the Four Valleys in my humble opinion. How about being able to ski not only between lots of villages, but between villages in different countries, and with enough piste and off-piste to find new runs all vacation? You can ski both Italy and Switzerland at Zermatt/Cervinia, France and Switzerland in the Portes du Soleil and Austria and Switzerland from Ischgl. I also vaguely remember walking across the border into Italy from Austria for lunch at Nassfeld.
snow conditions
Can you get from Verbier to Thyon and back in a day? I have a lot of places to visit!!! snowHead
latest report
@lgkersh, Another great area in Austris is Ski Dimension (Serfaus Fiss Ladis)

Not on the UK radar but a cracking area and very high quality resorts
latest report
@red_27 I like the look of that area instantly!

As I am a snowhead, I have spent every spare minute of my time this week looking into every suggestion that has been made in this thread.. I definitely have a lot of ideas for next years skiing holiday!

Thank you all for you input!

Going to what @pam_w said - although I do like a lot of piste to ski down, and a good efficient lift system, I am open and interested in other possibilities snowHead
latest report
lgkersh wrote:
Can you get from Verbier to Thyon and back in a day? I have a lot of places to visit!!! snowHead

You can quite easily, but if one of your criteria of enjoyment is efficient lift systems you will find some of the lifts on the way a little antiquated. The lifts around Verbier are excellent but there are some elderly ones past Greppon, though there is some good terrain to be accessed from them.

There are so many fabulous skiing areas beyond 3V I don't know where to start. Best option is wait and see where the snow is good and go there and discover it.
ski holidays
HoneyBunny wrote:
If you like the 3Vs, you will LOVE the Espace Killy. Val d'Isere remains my favourite resort of all (not that I've visited everywhere, but quite a lot of France and Austria). In my opinion the EK has everything - lots of vertical, huge area, great variety of runs - some very long - and brilliant apres. It's quite tough in terms of run grading, but there's wonderful cruising to be had as well. There's even tree-lined skiing in La Daille, Fornet and down to Les Brevieres. .

+1 If you are looking for a change from the 3 Valleys but enjoy large areas and the feeling of moving around and going different places, then definitely get yourself to Val d'Isere or Tignes and try out the Espace Killy.
snow report
lgkersh, well worth checking out Serre Chevalier - a large area, excellent sense of travel, good lift system these days and interesting villages along with the highest city in Europe, Briancon.

Saalbach is also great and extremely good fun with some terrific skiing.

The Dolomites have been mentioned, but also worth a look at the Brenta Dolomites - Folgarida-Marilleva-Madonna di Campiglio. Again, great sense of travel and superb food on the more affordable side. Stay in Folgarida.

How is Syph City these days? Still the largest village in England?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy