Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow chains

Poster: A snowHead
Please be aware you cannot take snow chains on the plane as hand luggage they confiscated mine at Lyon airport,I had bought them for our hire car and thought I would sell them on e bay back in the uk,school boy error!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wonder on what 'rule' they did that, I suppose you could hang someone with them though....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@cefnycoed, aw that's a shame for you. Wonder where it is in the small print?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not surprised to be honest, you could seriously injure someone with a set of chains used in anger.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
^^ Wot, suffocate them with the bag..?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hells Bells, yep - I once beat the crap out my front wheels with them
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sad Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Hells Bells, Only as I got cross and hadn't read the instructions! I now pray to the snowchains gods

snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It is a bit dubious though, I could swing a [large] camera on a strap and knock someone out. If I was to choose a weapon on a plane it sure as hell wouldn't be snow chains.....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've got a better one than that. I drove my car out before Christmas but somehow did not take the key socket for the locking wheel nuts. No problem though, I am fairly handy with a hammer and chisel in an emergency and my wife can bring it, it's only tiny and useless for anything except the wheels on my car...... Oh no she won't, not past Gatwick security anyway, it's a tool and no tools allowed in hand luggage, in with the knives and scissors it goes. The only consolation I have is it is useless to anyone else as well.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@skitow, your wife must look well dodgy Toofy Grin just kidding. It is inkers as I could take on a glass bottle of perfume of 100mls and that could easily be made into a very dangerous weapon. Thinking about it aren't duty free alcohol bottles glass??? rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@skitow, your wife can probably work out the best way of dealing with a tiny tool.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
@skitow, your wife can probably work out the best way of dealing with a tiny tool.

Harsh Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:

Thanks for your advice Pam. I did ask her that question but she she said she has no experience, of tiny tools that is. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@cefnycoed, Someone in security probably needed a new set of chains......................
latest report
Year after year I promise my self never to return to France,but I'm drawn back by their rudeness ,arrogance and their apparent lack of understanding my GCSE French and yes I am bitter about the snow chains lol!
snow conditions
@skitow, similar problem at Bournemouth. Caught with an allan key for my boots. Had to leave it behind. Although I did notice that there would have been some nuts I in the plane which I could have undone. Toofy Grin
snow report
op : usually at Lyon, Geneva, Chambery and Grenoble snow chains are an option you can tick when on the rental car website (-its in the same columns as satnav, babychair and the likes) for you to have them put automatically in the car or handed over at the counter. There is an extra to pay for them though.
snow report
Always think airport security is somewhat bonkers. Appreciate the wish to remove large knives and guns and any obvious bomb making equpiment but to confiscate plastic bottle of more than 100ml capacity even if it only has a small amount of liquid or gel in it at the bottom seems odd, what of course is even odder is all the stuff you can buy after you have passed through security apparently without any problem. Frankly a glass bottle is a seriously dangerous weapon and yet you can buy and carry on duty free with a bottle of alcohol/liquid which is highly flammable and once broke the bottle becomes a lethal weapon.

I laughed as the Ryanair issue the other day where they discharged their passengers into the wrong arrivals area and the airport processed the passengers through security again before they could enter the country through the correct arrivals lounge. What did they think the passengers might be carrying into the airport through the wrong arrivals area which could possibly create a security issue? Nobody would have anticipated the incorrect arrivals entry so would not have been prepared to carry out a terrorist threat in any event.

Its a mad world we live in.

cefnycoed - I hope you managed to get your chains retained somewhere for your return and not simply confiscated.
ski holidays
I mentioned it on another post. But i'll post it here too.

I would recommend Snow Socks instead of chains. As mentioned chains if fitted incorrectly can do some serious damage to your car.
Snow Socks are a good alternative, are more universal regarding tyre / wheel sizes than chains, cheaper and can be used multiple times.
If you are flying, Snowsocks weigh next to nothing (think its about a kg mx) and fold up nice and easily, so you could just fit them in your hold luggage or hand if you so wish.

Worth a look anyway.
ski holidays
@Dzmarc, there were many reports of damaged and destroyed Snow Socks lying around after last weekends snow fall. Obviously not up to the job then. Not all of them comply to requirements.
snow conditions
I think that SnowSocks work well in transforming summer tyres into 'virtual' winter tyres, plus a bit of additional traction. So they're good for getting your summer-shod car out of the car park onto a tarmac road, for example, or for shortish driving on snow. But in mixed tarmac/snow/slush I've also read that they start to shred quickly.

We have a set of Michelin EasyGrips for our second car here in the UK, for similar short-term use scenarios here, and these should last longer. The main attraction was the ease of fitting compared to chains. But I've also heard the EasyGrips also eventually shred, or worse, while they're great the first time you use them, when you store and come to use them again they are similarly prone to fall apart.

The EasyGrips look less lethal as weapons than normal chains, so you may not have the same security problems with them, although they're bulky (but not heavy) - I suppose that an imaginative security person could still view them as a potential gladiator-type combat netting weapon .....
snow report
+1 for snow socks. Climbed all the way from Morzine to Avoriaz on Sunday now problem, when the BBC was reporting hundreds stranded...
Great on snow, took them off for the slushy stuff: they clearly weren't going to offer any benefit.

Was surrpised that the local police didn't bat an eyelid but just waived us on. Given that even in the Discovery, I wouldn't be planning to tackle virgin snowfields, I reckon snow socks are good for the job.
I still wouldn't fancy packing them back in my suitacase afterwards tho!

As for confiscations at airport security, I was surprised to learn that sellotape is also deemed a weapon of mass destruction, and will be confiscated at security.
snow report
Just fly 1st class, proper metal steak knives upstairs on the 380 we came back from OZ in!
We did get to go in VIP lounge in the airport, past security checks and all the knives and forks you need are metal.

I only popped upstairs to see how the other half live!
ski holidays
I sat lots of cars getting on fine on snowsox on 3 January, but also, driving down the following day, lots of shredded versions at the roadside. So I suppose it all depends. I know that some cars are very difficult to fit with chains but really, for most ordinary sort of cars, it's just not a problem. It's far easier than skiing, that's for sure! You do see people crouched at the roadside with the instructions, but there's no accounting for some people.......

I'm not sure how you could bring chains for a hire car as you never know what vehicle you're going to get. You might be lucky, might not.
snow conditions
@Strax, a lot of snow sox are FR and AT approved now, so maybe that's what Le Plod didn't bat an eyelid. Either that or they're running a sweepstake on when the sox'll shred...
latest report
FFIRMIN wrote:
Always think airport security is somewhat bonkers. Appreciate the wish to remove large knives and guns and any obvious bomb making equpiment but to confiscate plastic bottle of more than 100ml capacity even if it only has a small amount of liquid or gel in it at the bottom seems odd, what of course is even odder is all the stuff you can buy after you have passed through security apparently without any problem. Frankly a glass bottle is a seriously dangerous weapon and yet you can buy and carry on duty free with a bottle of alcohol/liquid which is highly flammable and once broke the bottle becomes a lethal weapon.

The volume of fluid restriction is because of a specific planned terrorist attack that was trying to develop a way to use Hydrogen Peroxide with a battery to release hydrogen and create a fireball. Very low tech bomb in effect.

So a part used bottle that is greater than 100ml can have other bottles decanted into it.

There was briefly a total ban on liquids then they did the calculations and some tests and decided that while 100ml of hydrogen peroxide might not be the sort of thing you'd want someone playing with on a plane it would be unlikely to destroy the plane.

Some airlines (high terror risk routes?) May take large volume duty free off you wink

What you buy in the shops is in sealed bottles so you'd need to do some very elaborate scam to bring some substituted bottles into the airport shop supply chain undetected, for you to then detect when that stock was on the shop floor without other customers buying and reporting a problem...

Its a pain but I suspect is making ur flight safer.

Suspect the chain is to stop you handcuffing the crew? Cellotape the same? Becomes impractical to say no shoe laces but if it wasn't I suspect they wouldn't be allowed either.
latest report
@polc1410, couldn't a group of people all bring 100ml bottles of whatever and then one of them buy a large bottle of water in duty free, drink/chuck the water and use the bottle to mix the chemicals?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@maggi, Shssshh......... they'll all be at it.
snow report
Well... I couldn't take my chains through at Grenoble.... 40 euros to put my cabin bag into the hold, thanks BA. If they'd made it clear at checking I'd have checked them first time round. Second time through security the security staff take much interest in my belt... Wouldn't have minded but by the time I'd paid for the extra baggage I'd had to jump half the security queue as the plane was due to leave....
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
Not surprised to be honest, you could seriously injure someone with a set of chains used in anger.

Yes, but a 5'0 stewardess could beat the cr@p out of you before you got them untangled Laughing
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:

Yes, but a 5'0 stewardess could beat the cr@p out of you before you got them untangled Laughing

We've done many miles on snow socks, if you drive hard and let them spin on tarmac, they will self destruct, erm, actually, so will chains.
snow report
Quote:

airport security is somewhat bonkers

If you appreciate it for what it is...a theatric performance designed unashamedly to scare the unwashed and make them think politicians have control, it's marvellous and a thing of beauty. The fact that "we" allow them to get away with it suggests there's much more that we allow them to get away with...

@polc1410, if you want to bring down a plane, you do what they did at SSH and your "elaborate scam" is merely having a disaffected nutjob whose sky cat is better than your sky cat get a job behind security and put a fully functioning bomb in the right place. Works every time...

Not elaborate. Not difficult. At least at some airports.
latest report
@cefnycoed, 'SnowSocks' ... look 'em up ... even have them to fit my 40ton 18 wheeler ...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy