Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Tignes on Saturday.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, am driving to Tignes this Saturday for the first time and I think I'm all good for the trip!

However...... One thing is a friend told me today that he was told the following:

There is a section of road somewhere that has 2 or 3 tunnels and this area can be a real bottle neck as the police manage the traffic flow through them. I have never heard this before but this person apparently drives up to La Plagne every winter and she has said we need to look out for this and plan the timing of our drive carefully around this potential problem.

Anybody know what she is talking about and if she is correct what my plan of action should be? We are taking something like the 03:25 train early Saturday hoping to be in resort for around 16:00. Seem realistic? All I can go by is what the online navigation sites like Michelin say which. Obviously I'm aware that if snow falls block the roads there is no telling trip time, I'm basing my guesstimate on the roads not being snowed in!

Thanks all!

PS I have all the following items: snow tyres, chains, snow shovel (I know my car could end up being snowed in by the end of my holiday!) breathalysers, hi-viz jackets, breakdown triangle, peage gizmo.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
swishtony wrote:
There is a section of road somewhere that has 2 or 3 tunnels and this area can be a real bottle neck as the police manage the traffic flow through them.

There are a couple of areas where the traffic flow is 'managed' depending upon the amount of traffic. The main one is between Albertville & Moutier on the dual carriageway. Depending upon the amount of traffic it could add 1-2 hrs to your journey.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@swishtony, Your estimate of the journey time is pretty good. The best we have done is 9:30 from Les Arcs to the tunnel. It usually comes in at about 10 hours, but remember that if it rains then the speed limit on the autoroute drops to 110. It took us 11 hours to get from Tignes to the tunnel last Saturday/Sunday. Fog can delay you more than snow. But then you know that.

I have heard about the possibility of traffic management through the tunnels largely to protect people in the tunnels from poisioning (usually those leaving the Tarrentase) but never personally experienced it.

Since you are planning to arrive on possibly the quietest transfer day of the season I would not envisage any traffic hold ups.

I know I will probably get flamed for mentioing it, but by snow tyres do you mean winter tyres?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@johnE, yes, winter tyres, I know this often gets mentioned on the Volvo forum.... I should have learned from there!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Moutier lights tunnels and traffic control systems are a part of a much wider system called Osiris controlled from a central command in Albertville.
The traffic jams today are far less than they used to be!
Details here http://www.savoie-route.com/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A bit of management goes on before Chambery as well, as this weekend will not be that busy I wouldn't lose sleep over it. You will probably save more time by having the peage doofer than you will lose through these lights (no promises though Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the replies! So is there a better time to hit this stretch? We will probably be there around 1-2 pm hopefully. I have a nasty feeling that might be bad! As this is such a quiet period I'm hoping we shouldn't have too much of a problem. Cheers!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@swishtony, next weekend is a quiet one so shouldn't be anything like 3 January. But there is snow forecast. I wouldn't worry too much, just go with the flow and be prepared for timing to slip.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@swishtony, You'll be fine. We're heading out the following week and approaching Albertville from Archamps. Tend to be earlier, but it's never been a problem for us outside peak times. As long as you've got the right kit for the car, the snow expected shouldn't be an issue. Friends went to Samoens for NY and despite the chaos on the roads, they were only a little delayed as they were well equipped. Have a lovely time!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi - have done this journey many times on a saturday in Jan - you should be fine re traffic, we have never had any major hold ups.
Just our preference - but we prefer to take the A39/A40/A42 as it slightly goes round Lyon instead of the A6 route off the A31. Always seem to find this route quicker with less traffic.
We will be just behind you - travelling to Tignes on Sunday.

You will also find your journey quicker and easier if you have the sanef toll pass - www.saneftolling.co.uk

Heres to lots of snow and a good week!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the input! We may have a change of plans.... on the way back (skiing the last Saturday) we will leave around 5 PM and were booked on a very early train, planning to drive through the night. We now might stop around midnight, get a kip then get a train around midday on the Sunday. Anybody done this and if so any tips on where to stop/stay that won't break the bank? We are 4 guys and not fussy, any old dive will do for a one night stopover! Cheers
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
leaving aroud 5 you could easily get to many of the larger towns en route home......Troyes, Chaumont, Beaune.......but i think i would opt for Dijon(Novotel) or if you really want to do a 5pm to midnight run, you could get as far Reims......very nice Novotel at Tinquex
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@swishtony, I'd wait and see how far you want to drive. No big problem finding a cheap hotel on the road into towns, from the motorway.

As for the tunnel, within 24 hours after your original booking you're fine. After that you need to have changed your reservation, or you lose it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy