Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d'Huez - blue run queries

Poster: A snowHead
hello - we are off to Alpe d'Huez in feb and have not been to that resort before

can anyone tell me some of the blue run numbers/names that are basically motorways, we are specifically going there due to my nervousness with skiing and i am looking for wide, open runs without any scarey edges - i don't mind doing narrow runs as long as they are more like lanes with high sides (usually mountain roads that become runs in the winter)

also any other advice such as good places to eat etc

thanks in advance
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's a long time since I was there but I don't recall any scary blues in ADH. Nice runs from signal hill back, and down to Oz and Villards.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@poe, all the skiing directly above the centre of ADH (as you face the mountains is motorway. Also Signal to your left and Auris to you right are have great cruising runs. Avoid the skiing down to Oz, it sound like it may not be to your liking at this stage.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My advice would be to avoid the blue runs, particularly in the afternoon when they tend to get bumpy and icy, and generally littered with bodies. To be honest, most of the red runs are not much steeper, and generally you have more room to manoeuvre.

That being said, there are some lovely runs from Alpette to Vaujany which seem to get a lot less traffic, and are a little kinder to the nervous skier. I love skiing on the Vaujany side as it is so much prettier, and if the charlifts are a little slow, the scenery is lovely. Plus there some great places to eat, both down towards Vaujany, and at the top of Alpette.

Also, go high, the runs at the top of Marmottes 3 are lovely.

I agree that skiing down to Oz can be a little hairy, and rather busy, so save that until you are having a 'brave day'.

We love ADH, so much that we go three times a year. I hope you have a brilliant time, and good luck! snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thank you so much for your advice and i will stay away from Oz Smile

i have also booked a private lesson to try and build up my confidence, with that and having new boots, i hope that i can stop taking off my skis and walking down, which is what i do whenever i am faced something too steep or having a piste with edges that I think i will fall off because i am rubbish at turning

thanks again
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Actually Oz is gorgeous, and easily reached by either the Poutran or Alpette lift. There are some really nice eateries there!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
i have also booked a private lesson to try and build up my confidence, with that and having new boots, i hope that i can stop taking off my skis and walking down, which is what i do whenever i am faced something too steep or having a piste with edges that I think i will fall off because i am rubbish at turning

It's good to hear that you are having a private lesson. That should help a lot. ADH will be a good resort for you to build up your skills and confidence. Personally I would advise against ever taking off your skis for a few reasons. On a practical level it's potentially as dangerous as skiing down. Phsycologically it will do you harm. I would propose that everybody has had that freeze/fright moment. I know I certainly did when I was learning. But you must overcome it.

Can you side slip? Can you snow plough? Stem Christie? The answer must be yes. Well then you should be able to get down anything. All be it slowly and perhaps not with the elegance you would like. But don't be embarrassed by it. These are good and useful techniques that as you do more of become part of a skiers armoury when on the hill. Needs must. And when you frozen with fear or it's simply safer to do so, use these basic techniques to make progress.

To do it more elegantly on appropriate slopes, take a couple of deep breaths and gather yourself. Then visualise those first 3 or 4 turns thinking about where you are going to pole plant. Then execute. If you can keep the turns going. If you need to stop again and repeat. Face in to the challenge don't shy away from it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Layne, +1. Instructor won't permit removing skis anyway but @poe, you should have a lot more confidence after your lesson/s

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 5-01-15 18:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, I agree with @Layne, walking down any of the slopes is not really a safe or sensible option. If I get a bit wobbly, I tell myself to do three turns then stop and re-group, three more turns then stop and re-group, and by the time you've done that a couple of times, you normally just get in the rhythm and find yourself getting down nicely. Just make sure you stop in a safe place (not in the middle of the piste), and look uphill before you set off again.

Also, learn to sideslip. Sideslipping is your friend! Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
On the Vaujany Oz side i find that the reds are all nicer and easier to ski than the blues due to bottlenecks on steeper parts of the blues. le belvedere and les rouges red run from dome des petites rouges is very pleasant. as well as well as the alpette red run.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Perhaps ' a private lesson' should be a week of lessons. Does the world of good
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks everyone - as for lessons, had lots some years back (three weeks worth) - its a mental state more than anything with me and i have got worst as time has gone by - go skiing every year for a week and at some stage i will come across a slope that i cant do, i try to snowplough but there is only so much of that that the legs can take but with new better fitting boots, a lesson and easier slopes, i think i can build up my confidence again, not that i mind staying on easy slopes, its just a boring for the others who can ski reds and blacks (not that i am planning to do those colours ever but it would be nice to do a blue without panicking and everyone else having to stop to wait for me to get down)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@poe, say no to snowplough. Sideslipping is the way to go. Far easier than trying to plough a red run. How about booking a recommended instructor for a private lesson, and telling the instructor that you want to be more confident? Sorry if this is all bleeding obvious.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had two fantastic private lessons in ADH with Mel at Masterclass - improved my skiing and confidence more than all the other lessons I've had put together (was my third of four trips in my skiing 'career').

I'm also a nervous-ish blue-preferred skier and didn't have any nervous moments in resort really. It can get a little busy in places but the terrain is pretty forgiving.

Couloir is the classic blue in resort and isn't at all exposed, but it's a little busy. Great scenery at the start.

The two blues on the glacier at Marmottes 3 are very easy and again have awesome views.

My favourite run was Vachettes down from Marmottes 1 which I believe is the super-G course. So much fun.

The blue back from Signal to resort was a bit busy and choppy but not too hard. The blue off the other side (Petit Prince) was also pretty easy with awesome views but there is one slightly narrow bit with a drop part-way down.

The blues in Auris were all straightforward.

Didn't go to Vaujany or Oz.

The red Olympique was the first red I did without an instructor and although it has a couple of steepish bits, it's definitely not nerve-wracking or narrow.

Hope this helps!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The steep fear can be overcome. I said i would never do anything other than blues which terrifed me on my first holiday to L2A. The following year i did a couple of blacks and now after four holidays i will ski anything with even a bit of off piste if conditions permit. My other half took my tuition on after 3 lessons in ski school and have to say that after she taught me pole planting my skiing went from strength to strength. Keep at it cause there is nothing better than skiing a steep run confidently then standing at the bottom and feeling very good about yourself
ski holidays
I went to Alpe D'Huez for my first skiing trip 2 years ago! Here are some of my experiences as far as I remember, in no particular order (most of these are mentioned above already):

The greens in the bowl above the main town are perfect for improving confidence in the first days - there are several and they are so wide that they all run into each other. I seem to remember the Altiport run (towards the RH side of the bowl as you look at the piste map) being quieter than some of the others
The Chalets blue was quite easy (straight), with nice views
The Petit Prince blue was great (though I must admit I have no memory of the narrow/steep bit mentioned above) - can get busy, though
The Myrtilles blue was recommended as being good/wide, but I don't remember it
Auris was an excellent area and was really quiet too compared with a lot of other places - would highly recommend it for you - had a fantastic day there
I remember struggling with a small section of the Vaujaniate blue (bit of a steep bend) but it was quiet when I was there so it wasn't really an issue Smile other than that it wasn't hard and was a very pleasant run
The blue Signal run (the one floodlit for night skiing) is pretty steep for a blue. However, it's very wide and straight - so good practice when quiet
Think the Edelweiss blue is one of the more tricky blues...
I'd echo the recommendation of Masterclass for lessons. I had a small group lesson (only three of us) with Stuart and learnt a lot

Have a brilliant time - you'll love it!
ski holidays
I've been to AdH once (Easter 2012). The run to Oz is a lovely run. Maybe it's something you can build up to at the end of the week? If you use the very short Champ Clotury button about half way down you can switch to a blue for the second half of the run.

As others have said the main area around the DMC has loads of wide greens. Mr Dbaskls who hadn't skied for sometime when we were there spent most of his time in that area getting his confidence back.

Here's my trip report which includes a bit of a description of the run to Oz.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2027733&highlight=#2027733
snow report
thanks again for all the advice - its been excellent
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy