Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ortovox gloves / mitts - any users?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking for some warmer mitts for those sub -10C days, have BD gloves which are ok in the low minus temps, but just not up to it when it gets cold. Liking the look of the Ortovox mitts - anyone using them and can give a first hand review?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I picked up a pair of Ortovox gloves in the off-season (the ones with "Swiss Wool" inside). They seem to be ok so far, but I can't say I've tested them in particularly cold conditions. They seemed to do pretty well on a warm rainy day yesterday ( Sad ); they stayed waterproof and didn't get overly warm. I'm not totally convinced they're going to turn out to be warm enough for really cold days on their own (I normally get quite cold hands, and haven't found a pair of gloves yet that completely solves the problem), but I'm hopeful that with a thin additional liner they'll be ok.

Can you not just use your BD gloves with a liner? Even a nice merino or silk liner would be cheaper than a new pair of gloves (unless you're looking for an excuse of course Smile )
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks! Appreciate your thoughts.

Useful to have a couple of pairs any way Happy I'm not overly impressed with the BD ones tbh. OK for normal conditions but definitely not up to the cold weather of last week in the Alps. And I'm not convinced they are very breathable either - get clammy very easily. I've got some liners, but they make the gloves a bit snug.

Have looked at the BD guide gloves too - they seem well rated. And of course there's the love/hate reviews of Hestra wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think a friend has the BD Guide lobster gloves, and rates them really highly. And the missus has a pair of hestras and is very pleased with those (though not sure she's used them in very cold conditions yet either). I'm too cheap to buy Hestra unless they're discounted though Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just an update on these - eventually managed to get around to ordering some Ortovox mitts, which arrived yesterday. Sizing is HUGE! I expected to be a M or L (L in BD gloves) and the small was ok, although the thumb was quite snugl! Medium was baggy on the hand but the thumb fitted.

However, the main thing I found was that they were very thin. The insulation may be ground-breaking, but there wasn't much of it!! I just didn't have the confidence that they'd be warm enough for what I was after so they went back. So no review in cold conditions unfortunately! Got a pair of BD Guide Lobsters coming into my local Ellis Brigham to try so will probably go with them if they fit ok....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy