Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone for Zermatt latest conditions??

Poster: A snowHead
Hiya
Im debating heading to Zermatt 3rd/4th week of January but looks a tad iffy:
http://www.matterhornparadise.ch/en/winter/ski-area/lifts-pistes#the-pisten
10cm/190cm
44/55 lifts
260km of 340km
Obviously these stats can improve but for a resort at this altitude they look a tad below par. This would be the trip of a lifetime, a man of my meagre income has no business even thinking about skiing in Zermatt but I could just about manage it this year (obligatory thieving from breakfast buffet etc...) and that being the case, maybe wait for another year/better conditions?
Any thoughts much appreciated!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SCGB member Philip Boswell appears to be there quite a bit, and files reports (there's one from yesterday) ...

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/Snow-Conditions?discussionID=14982#.VKpdz8lCjQo
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ace, cheers CG
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just back after a week in Zermatt (from 27th Dec to 3rd Jan). Skiing conditions were good all week other than some icy conditions on some of the lower runs. Most pistes were open other than some of the outlying red runs such as nos 15 and 69. Very few, if any, of the yellow itineraries were open. Off piste was not so good though - it was pretty hard and crunchy by the end of the week. It was snowing/raining as we left on Saturday morning - sounds like the weekend weather was not ideal!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We were out there from Monday 22nd to last Friday (the 2nd). We were feeling pretty pleased because there was decent snow and the majority of the pistes were open (in contrast to a lot of lower resorts). I love Zermatt and I love skiing (and walking, which we did several days). So we had a great time. However … I am a regular out there. Anyone who was out there for their first (/only) experience of the place really wouldn’t have been getting the real benefit of their visit.

There are a number of issues:

1. Even for Xmas week most of the snow we had was fairly old;
2. The numbers out there were very large – even by usual Zermatt Xmas/New Year standards. I would guess some from unopened lower resorts had either rebooked or were driving/busing in;
3. The large dump that came on the 27th was not quite so large in Zermatt as some places – our near neighbours to the west in Verbier seemed to grab a lot of our snow as it came over;
4. The combination of the above plus the low temperatures (who’d have thought it in the high Alps in January?) meant a lot of the pistes (mainly lower down but some a bit further up) were just slabs of white ice. I am not a bad skier (and I know those pistes well) but I was often finding it tricky. The black piste 62 from Furgg to Furi was just crazy and given how many non-experts attempt it (as there are not many other ways down from that sector) it almost would have been better closing it.

That comes across more negative than I mean. As I said we had a great time. We also skied over the ridge in Italy (Cevinia) on four days – conditions were fantastic over there. But of course on strong wind days the crossing gets closed. Zermatt is always going to be good but it is not at its best at present. They probably need at least one mega dump to get things back on track. Unfortunately there is nothing coming soon. However who knows by your projected dates of third/fourth week of January? I certainly hope it has improved as I am back out for the last weekend of January. I’ll be with a group who like to do the itinerary runs. They’d usually be open by then but they can only open once there is a decent covering of snow over the rocks. The only itinerary run open last week was the 67/68 Garten/Tunigu) one in the Matterhorn sector. Mind you that was great as few seemed to realise it was OK and so I was ploughing through deep powder on it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmmm. Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like it probably isnt the time for a "once in a lifetime" trip to Zermatt...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shiva_71 wrote:
Hmmm. Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like it probably isnt the time for a "once in a lifetime" trip to Zermatt...

The SCGB chap out there is reporting there was 20cm snowfall in the mountains last Saturday. That certainly would have helped. You'd be pretty unlucky for there not to be at least one decent dump before your projected time out there. Easy for me to say I realise.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am another complete Zermattophile who was there 28th to the 4th. We had friends with us who were on their first trip, and indeed first ski trip, who totally loved the whole experience and have signed up to come back next year. However, even I have to agree that the conditions were not vintage. For our friends who didn't know any better, they were completely satisfied, but we have been spoiled by lots of perfect new year days skiing through on piste powder after regular snowfalls. This year there was a lot of ice, as already mentioned, which is tricky even for the best skiers, there was a lot of sliding around going on…and although the lift company deserves to be congratulated for getting many of the runs open with the help of artificial snow, it made for some sticky pistes as well.
If it really might be a one off for you, I have to say I might wait for a better year or be prepared to make a last minute decision based on improved conditions - some sites are predicting a decent fall over next weekend which could of course transform things...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FWIW - Zermatt does a good job of grooming the slopes, and making snow. They farm the snow just off the pistes better than just about any ski resort I've ever been to as well.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ah, yes black run no 62. That one got me concentrating hard and was the site of my only proper crash of the week. Came through an icy bit to a left turn down another steep section and in flat light went straight through a pile of soft snow. I carried on going but both skis stayed behind!! To make it even more "fun", one of the brakes didn't function and my ski sped off 50m downhill.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks again...think I'll give it a miss. I normally go in January as its something of a mini low season between Xmas and Feb school holidays, fewer people and more accomodation options. Downside is that it can be too cold for snow, and the constant grooming of old snow blasted by icy winds just makes from grim conditions. Im in Austria, so i think i'll head over to Wagrain/Flachau, looks like theyre getting reasonable snow and ill save myself a few quid... wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
shiva_71 wrote:
Thanks again...think I'll give it a miss. I normally go in January as its something of a mini low season between Xmas and Feb school holidays, fewer people and more accomodation options. Downside is that it can be too cold for snow, and the constant grooming of old snow blasted by icy winds just makes from grim conditions. Im in Austria, so i think i'll head over to Wagrain/Flachau, looks like theyre getting reasonable snow and ill save myself a few quid... wink

Can't argue with that. But do come some time. It is one of those places you just have to have skied once. Maybe like quite a lot of us you'll find that it you do it once you'll keep coming back. I just bought my first ever full year pass in December. So I am persuading myself that the more I go out there the more money I am actually saving snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, ive been there twice...longer ago than i care to recall, i did a two week basic mountaineering course based in Zermatt which was just amazing (my very first rock climb was Riffelhorn!), and then I got one of the early season Ski Test packages a few years ago. Love it, love it, love it. As a lover of rustic, Alpine buildings, Hinterdorf just blew me away. Keep buying those Euromillion tickets I guess...!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Had a glorious day yesterday - sunshine all day and good snow conditions.

Today, very different. It looked clear at 7.30am but by 8.30 the clouds had filled in considerably. Lots of lifts closed (including the link to Cervinia) due to high winds and a general lowering of visibility beyond the midstations. Still had a good ski and came down at 2pm.

Not sure how much snow the clouds brought - there was a dusting at the top of Hohtalli, perhaps a centimetre or two settled.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi All

We have a week booked off work next week and am thinking of a trip to Cervinia. Been constantly checking the forecast and looking good there - better than anywhere else I can see???
Anyone in resort to let me know what conditions are like now?
I know that snow is forecast but wondered if it'll be enough?

Thanks in advance!
latest report
The link to Cervina has been closed since Friday due to the high winds. There's talk of the wind being lower tomorrow but no guarantee it'll open.
ski holidays
doorman_tom wrote:
The link to Cervina has been closed since Friday due to the high winds. There's talk of the wind being lower tomorrow but no guarantee it'll open.

I spent 9 days in Zermatt during Christmas just a few years ago. The Italy link was open the first day we were there, which was absolute beautiful bluebird day, after a small 10cm refresh of the very good early season conditions. The only people we saw the first 2 hours on the slopes, were the lift operators, and a few patrollers checking the piste markers. We saw no reason to head to Italy, when things were so amazing in Switzerland! So, to keep the story short, Italy link was closed the rest of the time we were there...Oh well. Just an one more reason to go back to Zermatt! Smile
snow report
I often see in reviews about the link between Zermatt and Cervinia closing. Does this happen often? Like a few times a season, every month, every week ? If it's a stormy week, while it hopefully brings snow, would that close the link for the week?

Got a trip to Cervinia booked and key to it is to be able to get to Zermatt as otherwise Cervinia looks a bit limited (though obviously a nice cheap place).

P.S. Are there road links to Zermatt if the lift link is closed? Likewise if you miss the last lift in Zermatt can you get back by road? Have seen mention that it might be tricky to ski from Cervinia and cover the furthest runs over the Zermatt side and have enough time to get back to Cervinia.
ski holidays
@deadkenny, links seem to be closed 1-2 days per week from when I've been there. Nearer Easter is more reliable although they tend to keep them shut in the morning if weather is likely to deteriorate and getting back could be an issue.

As for getting back by road, it is a very expensive and long taxi ride round (€500+)

If on first lift over, I'd imagine it's possible to get across to Sunnegga and back although it wouldn't leave time to sample the excellent mountain restaurants.
snow report
Our TO told us to take our passports if we were going over to Zermatt as it was cheaper to get a room than to pay the taxi!
ski holidays
I'm not sure it's possible to generalise about how often the link closes, maybe we have just been lucky but in many years of skiing in Zermatt we haven't seen the link closed that often…That said, it isn't uncommon for it maybe to be closed first thing, but to open later morning for example. So you might get over to Zermatt but have to wait until late morning to do so. It all depends how strong a skier you are, but even then, if you aren't fussed about a long lunch (or any lunch?) you could still get a good way across the area and back before the links close for the day, especially later in the season, Easter time and so on. On a good blue sky day, and up and over early, skiing over to Sunnegga and back is certainly possible.
You certainly don;t want to get caught on the wrong side if the wind starts picking up - as already said, it's a long and expensive taxi ride back round.
latest report
Looking a damn sight better now Very Happy
snow conditions
Just chilling in my hotel after two great days skiing here. Conditions are great. Yesterday it snowed all day, visibility v poor but lots of fun in powder lower down.
Today was simply perfect. Sunny, little wind and great snow. Even skied all the way back from Furi into Zermatt and whilst the snow there wasn't as good as high up it was fine. Links to Italy open even yesterday in the snow

I'm only an intermediate skier so can't comment on the off piste. But lots of people seemed to be doing it. Most of the itineraries runs were officially closed but had tracks down them......

I have a suspicion that the lift count includes the drags on the glacier that only open in the summer. Also the Stockhorn section rarely opens before feb, even in good years.
ski holidays
How much is a beer out there with the exchange rate changes?

I was close to returning to my favourite resort but plumped for Courchevel instead, save it for next year if the exchange rate is sensible!
ski holidays
comes to something when courcheval is a "budget" choice Smile
ski holidays
Snow is pretty good at present but it has not been a big snow year. The itineraries are gradually opening up. Stockhorn has been open a while and is in great condition. A couple of the itineraries off Schwarzsee opened up this week. I did number 58 (the direct one from Aroleid to Furi) on Monday - it has some "interesting" bare parches, thankfully on grass not rock. The itineraries off Rothorn are not yet open - I wonder if they will this year. The last piste to open - number 15 past Kumme - opened this week. I did that Tuesday and it was in good shape. As I said on another thread thr Italian side has had better snow.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy