Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nordica Nrgy 90 - thoughts and impressions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi fellow and trusted skiers

Has anyone heard much about the new 2015 Nordica Nrgy 90?

I currently ski Volkl Gotama's and looking for something a bit more All Mountain. Will the Nordica be any good off piste but still be OK on the piste?

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally v. big on Nordica skis, an exceptional uber quality product that is still for the most part sitting in the nose bleed seats vis-a-vis skier recognition. Picked up a pair of the 80's this year - in addition to a set of the Avenger 75's last March and to say that I am blown away by both is an understatement. Nordica's quality construction is so high.
The NRGY 80's so far this year have seen appoximately fifteen days here at Snowmass and three days over at Beaver Creek (on a fun visit with some friends who live over there) in all manner of condition between the two locations and do it wonderfully. They are altogether stable, supple, can really maintain an arc - radius without washing out and go into turn with such ease, as well come out any time I want without hesitation. They have shown they can handle all conditions and speeds, preferably higher speeds typically between 30 - 50 mph is where they are happiest. I personally went with the 80's as I am not a big advocate of wider waist skis per se. By the way in powder which has come our way three times at most this year with maximum depth of call it 30 untracked inches out in the back where twice we humped a ways once off the top on the second storm that passed through the 80's were great, allowing for any rhythm I wanted and any length of turn - from relatively short on to medium and long. Before Christmas with small skier number I used them to go all over the mountain in-between region that was not being lift serviced and they went through everything wonderfully. Note......... The skis were ever so lightly tuned as they come out of the factory remarkably "perfect" (in any ski's imperfection) and are waxed every single day. You can draw your own conclusion from there.

Again, Nordica ski quality is nearly Nonpareil. Their design group definietly know what they are doing and I've been around........................... More of the public ought to open their eyes to the brand. And I think the world of the Avenger 75's!! I'm looking forward to trying a set of the Avenger 82's come February when Nordica are due to arrange a demo for me.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I demoed the NRG 80s at Stubai in November and found pretty much the exact opposite of @equinoxranch, Smile I was wanting to try some more piste orientated skis after skiing fat skis for ages. I ski around 180cm for a fatter ski and like around 170cm for on piste. I tried quite a few piste skis around this size, including the NRG 80 but I found the Nordica's really light and unstable feeling. I might have enjoyed them more in a bigger size, I read another review after demoing them where the author who was a similar height to me (5,9") sized up to nearer 180cm. The skis were really light, I could see them working well for touring or very light skiers but they weren't what I was looking for for a piste ski with a little all mountain ability. I also tried a pair of the Nordica women's skis (Belle to Belle, horrible name, nice ski) in 170cm and they were much stiffer, heavier and confidence inspiring for me.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I skied the Nrgy 90 las November at Kaprun. It is a really good piste si for a 90 waisted ski. Actually, it is a very good piste ski, period.

In bumps and crud, they are amongst the best all mountain skis in that width range. Stable, light, manoeuverable, yet powerfull. I have not been able to ski them in real powder (there wasn't any), but I suspect the slightly tapered tip and tail will let it release easily and not get hooky. On float I can't comment. But coming from the Gotama, I think a 90 is not as 'all-mountain' as you are looking for (to much piste-oriented). For real all-mountain capabilities, I would go for a 95-100 mm waist. Fischer Motive 95 TI, Nordica Hell & Back are great options. Nrgy 100 is hard work on piste, as is the Mantra or Rossignol Experience 100/98. So in that width range, many great options, but advice heavily depends on preference and skiing style.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Lynseyf...........

NOT a retort. Just a thought. Many of the newer "all-mountain" sticks over the past three to six plus years, especially the most recent additions such as Nordica's NRGY series do not tolerate a boot that is stiff and many skiers take a spin on such a ski with too stiff a boot with less than positive results. Over twenty years ago I was pleased by one boot mfgr. who came out with a model that had variable flex - stiffness which really awakened me to the benefit of softer flex and I'm routinely big mountain GS through and through where big equipment rules the roost. About ten years ago I bought one of the first pair of (finally) softer flexing boots and my whole skiing game changed. I bought my current set of boots two years back and they're rated as "intermediate" boots....... Laughs!!!! They flex as a boot should and wonderfully so, allowing me to get more needful ankle and knee flex which especially befits skis like the NRGY series. These skis demand that the entire length of the ski be skied and with a subtle boot whose flex matches the ski. Too stiff a boot on these simply overpowers the ski and does not allow for effective finesse for such a board. Before I purchased the Nordica's I also tried another ski brand of similar character and was more than impresed by how that ski also skied its entire length with such deft when coupled with a softer flexing boot. Many established skiers, especially those who have been around need to acquaint themselves with this new direction wherupon it's today so often the boot that really needs to be reevaluated.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@equinoxranch, I don't think my boots are too stiff but yes a decent point, I've been skiing Rossi S3s for a while which are pretty noodle like but I ski them in a 177cm. What length did you ski them in and how tall are you, I would have been interested to try them in 177cm (I think that is the next length)?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@lynseyf................

Hoping this finds you well. Another solid day of essential 50K plus. I'm 5'11" at 185 pounds avg.. I grew up on traditional boards, affect big GS type skiing anywhere on a hill so learned/prefer the longer skis which back in the day were 204's to 212's for moi meme. Now things have definitely changed and it took some time mentally getting used to today's short skis. But they are better. I have a few so called parabolic pairs starting back from about ten years ago to the au currents - so often you just don't get rid of stuff. I still have two pair of traditional sticks that still are going strong (204 and 210), one in particular I take out a few times a year for fun that still turn eyes - K2 Unlimited VO's mit Mickey Mouse top sheet. They haul.

The au currents range from 176cm to 185, in-between a set of 180's - those from nearly a decade back that still work wonderfully (thank you Atomic). The NRGY 80's are 185cm and given their progressive rocker I'm glad I did not opt for the next size down. Over on edge they power great arcs and the more one pushes the more one can get out of them up to about 45 - 50 mph then they wash out. They go through mix just fine. And powder. I'm still at a loss to understand this mega-wide powder ski madness which is at least over hear a disease. Or how anything underfoot less than 90 is considered "narrow". Whiskey Tango Foxtrot............!?! Fads come and go. That's skiing. Politics is worse.

The boots I primarily use are an 80 flex which technically should not be enough, but are. Another pair have a 90 flex. It's the boots more than the skis that have dramatically opened up my skiing. And have made skiing so much more comfortable.
For years I've held that both traditional and that which is now skis most people are on are too short a ski, too stiff a boot. Things have monumentally improved with today's equipment but I still see people if nothing else still on too stiff a boot........... Very little leg/knee flex exhibited. The park skiers could teach the pure slopers a thing or two it appears.

Same as it ever was.......................... Tschüß...............

http://youtube.com/v/Oqv9FSGNzto
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy