Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Grave 2014 - 2015

Poster: A snowHead
Pretty sure no one has started a thread for this season.

Friends staying with us skied LG New Year's Eve whilst I was driving all over the place and they reported good cold snow stashes down from P3 to P2, but not worth trashing your skis by going down to P1.

We all then spent New Years Eve in La Grave at the Edelweiss and after a superb sophisticated gastronomic affair it all became very silly, and as I had done nigh hours of driving in the mountains and Italy I was very "tired", well that was my excuse.

Next day spent chilling up at Chazelet.

Then yesterday we went back to ski there based on my mates New Years Eve ski aplus we had someone else turn up here in SC en route to Courchevel who had never skied there.

As we were driving over the Lautaret all the usual parkings for the many ski tour routes were full and I've never seen so many tourers going up, didn't bode well for La Grave.

However more than pleasantly surprised as the lift car park was empty and the car park opposite the Castillan had a fair number of spaces.

No one buying passes and lift queue was non existent.

Going up in the lift we could see how empty the Vallons was and once out at P3 we opted to go down Chancel and the nip back over the Breche to ski back down the Vallons and the traverse to P2.

Snow was varied hard pack, crust and well tracked, but still good to be out and hard skiing. And for the first time since I've been out in the mountains this season I had leg burn by the end of the run and had developed quite a sweat, though was wearing a helmet which I always do there.

You really had to keep a watchful eye out for the rocks, as we were skiing down the wind picked up a fair bit and by the time we were back on the lift it was howling.

We'd all packed skins as I had a little plan, though at P3 our group split as one half did not fancy the more energetic option.

And it was a good plan as the wind had quickly carried the snow over into Chancel and once we were below the traverse down to the refuge we skied loads of lovely powder as hardly anyone had skied down that way (as that would mean skiing on to P1).

My friends daughter Ronja works in the Chancel and she was really surprised to see us walk through the door. In fact she was just on her way back down (on her rock hoppers) as it was so quiet with no one stopping off there.

So after a quick food stop it was out with the skins and we started the climb back up to the traverse, and was that tough or what!

The wind was howling and conditions were damn extreme and no exaggeration as I saw my mate blown over with a huge gust (50mph plus) as he'd just finished a kick turn. My OH was really finding it hard as she was so much lighter and had to keep stopping against the huge gusts coming through carrying a mixture of frozen snow and powder.

All the time the weather was closing in and that was a little bit of a concern, but had faith in my navigation to the traverse though we did take a steeper / shorter route to try to stay out of the wind. The clouds were truly spectacular.

Once back over the breche we saw a heli coming in for an evac. Never a good sight but still very impressive to see the whole evac. Turned out it was a Brit who is on next week's Euro Avalanche course who had done his knee.

So as ever a dramatic day in that most imposing of locations.

More pictures here here
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As we're in "snow conditions" section - what are the currently like? Has LG had a decent top-up in the last few days too?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arriving in La Grave Saturday Cool Cool
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was having a FaceBook chat with a mate yesterday who is a guide there and this is straight from the horses mouth as it were...............

A PROPER METER AT 3200, 70 CM AT 2400. WINDEFECTED TODAY BUT REALLY GOOD FAST SKIING.

He didn't answer when I asked him what it was like down to P1 and the village, but Hotel Edelweiss on their FB is saying you can ski all the way down to the village.

If you go to their FB page https://www.facebook.com/AubergeEdelweiss you'll see some very drunken shots of moi from New Years Eve, took me two days to get over that night Confused

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 20-01-15 8:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Goodo, hopefully opens up lots more options
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@norris, Great timing!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What are conditions like now? Thanks!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They have had more snow than over this side of the Lautaret (Serre Che) and you can ski back to P1.

Yesterday it was shut due to strong winds.

We'll be going over for a day this coming week as I have a mate over and we'll take a look.

Daily patrol report is here
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the link.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Was in LG for a few days last week. Quite wind-affected, but good chalky snow in the hollows. Vallons & Chancel classics are good (usual rocks in the bumps on returns to P1), ski to the bottom is fine (skied out chalkiness on the bottom fields). Patou and Banane good smooth chalky snow though entries getting a bit troughed and bumped due to everyone slipping the exact same line in. Entry to Dérobé thin. Freaux good (firm but grippy). Glacier wind-blown with smooth wind-buffed zones. Didn't do any of the bigger road runs but they were being skied. Vallon de la Selle good if you get a few days sun for the spring snow cycle to set up but definitely an afternoon run at the moment for the top 200m to have softened a bit.
Triffides were being skied at the start of the week but the entries look very thin...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mate left me today to ski in La Grave with friends he met in Antarctic and a guide I know well.

Had a good foot of fresh, and said he'd come and get me tomorrow am as looks like Col is open to ski with them and Per the guide.

Only trouble is I'd said to OH I'd ski with her tomorrow as I'm away all next week - AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tricky... hope you did the sensible thing (taking her over to LG with you).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm posting this in the La Grave thread as people interested in LG will find this of interest.

Oh and by the way I did ski with the OH in Serre on Sunday first lifts (see the Serre thread)

My mate skied there in the morning in LG

So yesterday we went on a road trip, met up with the guide 35km down from Sestrierre on the Pinerelo road.

He then took us to a little resort that just had so much snow, almost too much based on my experiences of the Pyrenees a couple of years ago, just bonkers amounts when comparing it to where we'd come from and driven through to get there.

On the chair soon became obvious it was going to have to be very steep skiing as anything too shallow you'd get stuck.

So it was all in the forests and below the chair.

Guide fell three or four times which was so funny because he was really going for it, but he was so good humored about it which was so refreshing.

At lunch time we walked into restaurant and there was a couple I knew from La Grave (he was the chef in La Chaumine La Grave back in 97).

I was expecting smiles and how are you - but instead we got daggers, well not so much us but the guide!

They had warned him and another Swedish guide of bringing clients to here, as they now have a place there for when the conditions are right.

After lunch I ended up buried a couple of times, which was quite scary as I choked on so much pow going down my throat!

On FaceBook I posted "Crazy day in the resort I'm not allowed to name for fear of having my gonads cut off by two refugees who moved there from La Grave".

And a well know person posted the response "hoho gavin spot on"

After the day we the drove 2.5 hrs to where we are now, and a superb day!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^ Oh : that will be <edited> p------o....
Secrets out now you posted pics online Wink

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 17-02-15 18:12; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks epic Gavin Very Happy
snow report
@Haggis_Trap, wrong !!!!!

Though can see the way you read it - but he was coming from Turin so we had to meet up somewhere and then goes elsewhere.

And if you make any more guesses I'm not saying yes or no as that will help narrow it down Cool
ski holidays
^ nice double bluff : don't worry I just edited the name for you Wink
snow conditions
@Haggis_Trap, doesn't have an "O" in it - and that's it - no more Smile
latest report
Hehe, so you were at one of the other villages in same valley.... Could be mean and post the piste map but its not my secret to give away Happy
ski holidays
Looks amazing. give it away!! Toofy Grin
snow report

Snowheads at la grave - awesome today top to bottom
ski holidays

Snowheads at la grave - awesome today top to bottom
ski holidays

Pics no loading ....
latest report
@PBJ, conditions? Please?
snow report
That looks pretty steep
snow report
La Grave was in the best shape I've ever seen it today Smile
ski holidays
And due to get 50+cm this week, lucky gits that will be there..................
ski holidays
@under a new name, just back home , la grave on Thursday was awesome - guide said some of best conditions he'd seen for a long time. 40cms powder pretty much top to bottom.
Still some rocks to hit in the bottom gullies .... On the way down chirouze.
We heard that a snowshoer fell into crevasse and died near the top of the draglift - some us saw the rescue Sad goodness knows what they were doing up there snowshoeing on the glacier.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 28-02-15 18:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@KenX, Cool
ski holidays
3 weeks until we're there - ca' nae wait! Looking like there should be a fairly good covering lower down until then too?
latest report
T-6 days
latest report
Hi, is anyone from this forum there this week? Any idea anout the conditions? I plan to visit skierslodge on 28th...
snow report
@vasja, well I came across a guide I know from LG today who was out touring with a group of Swedes - and yesterday he, along with others were in Via Lattea so that sort of spells it out Sad

But if there's good conditions to be had anywhere then I'm sure Skiers Lodge guys will get you there !
ski holidays
@vasja, needed snow last week. Some good touring and spring snow descents for us but the main LG runs were not great
snow report
Hmm, not liking the sound of this at the moment... We arrive tomorrow afternoon with 2 days guiding booked Sat and Sun. Forecasts seem to predict some snowfall down to about 1500-1800m, those days so not sure what that'll mean? Dust on crust? Whiteout? All time laps? Ah well, sure it'll be character building Very Happy
ski holidays
I was touring above La Grave today in the Galibier sector to the Crête de Côte Plaine and were some nice views of La Grave and the various villages etc.

Warmest day of the year so far today - probably the same over there would have thought.

latest report
For those that are interested in La Grave matters the tunnel closure is having a severe impact on La Grave.

The tunnel in question is the Tunnel du Chambon, just after the dam at the Deux Alpes junction - more on the link below.

http://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/alpes/2015/04/15/tunnel-du-chambon-pas-de-reouverture-avant-le-15-juin-705345.html

I cycled over there from here in Serre yesterday and bumped into a mates daughter who was preparing a road party to attract the media's attention that LG is still alive and kicking, with great conditions above P2 and on the glacier.

I have not been in contact with my friends that run the Edelweiss, should imagine it's dire, and they will now start to worry about the summer cycling bookings if the work carries on beyond June.

The road closure is also impacting here in Serre. A friend who runs the Plein Sud hotel in Chantermerle has closed early and will not reopen till the Galibier is opened.

We're leaving Serre today to go to my brothers north of Grenoble and we will have to take the Gap diversion which is nigh on four hours, as Frejus one way is expensive for a van, and we're in no hurry, and then I'm planning on being back here second week in June Puzzled

ski holidays
Just had a long chat with Marlon who runs the Edelweiss Hotel - and they have closed.

The worry is now for the summer, they have many cycling groups booked, not least for the Dutch week on the Alpe D'Huez and they, the hotel that is, are due to re-open May 22nd!

One would hope that with the tunnel closed, and not the volumes of snow of last year at altitude that they make an effort to open up the Galibier earlier than planned, but that will not be all that much help to La Grave, more for here in Serre Che.
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:

We're leaving Serre today to go to my brothers north of Grenoble and we will have to take the Gap diversion which is nigh on four hours, as Frejus one way is expensive for a van, and we're in no hurry, and then I'm planning on being back here second week in June Puzzled

Okay, so it should cool down a bit now with maybe snow for late april, early may for the end of the touring season. Then a nice warm sunny may with some nice mountain biking followed by awful stormy cold rain weather from... the second week in June.
snow report
@davidof, you're right about weather turning Laughing

Have you seen the forecast for La Grave Sat through to Monday rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy