Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help with choosing skis!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello!

I'm in need of a new pair of skis and could use some advice.

I am a 6 foot tall, 80kg man. I ski around 3 weeks per year, mostly on piste on anything from greens to blacks. I like to try difficult things and push the limits of my comfort zone at least a few times per day. I'm not hugely experienced on moguls however that is more due to a lack of availability in the area I tend to ski in (Gastein Valley) than a lack of interest. Whilst most of my skiing is currently on piste, I am starting to do more off piste and enjoy it a lot (even though i'm pretty bad at it atm) so intend to start doing more. I don't have much interest in jumps or park skiing.

On the beginner-expert scale that most sites seem to use I think I would probably be classed as advanced but am planning to get some lessons next time I go skiing, so this may increase at some point.

Based on what I have read in online reviews, skis that have jumped out at me as possibly being suited to what I want and how I would use them are:
Volkl Mantra
Atomic Theory
Line Supernatural 92 or 100
Rossignol Experience 88.

I'll be look for 170cm - 180cm length I think.

If I can I will try some out before I buy however I'm not sure that I will definitely get the opportunity. Any advice would be massively appreciated (especially if I'm on totally the wrong track with what i'm looking at)!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Given your dimensions and ability, I think you should be looking at least at the upper end of your length scale. Even slightly over 180 wouldn't be a problem.

Sounds like somewhere around 100mm underfoot would be about right for you.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the advice!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I do my piste and slack country skiing on an old LINE Prophet 98 ski. I find that they are a joy to do big high radius carved turns on, both on piste and off in the crud or powder.

I think the Prophet was the fore runner to the new Supernatural range.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Do you ski fast, slow? More on strength or more on technique?

Also, your list is a bit all over the place (that's why these questions are important). The Mantra is a demanding ski for a physically and technically strong skier, quite all-mountain but more piste-oriented. The Rossi E88 is a very wide piste ski, not very lively I think. THe Theory is most versitile, could recommend that to anyone, no matter what type of skier. I don't know the Lines, so I can't comment on those.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
With regard to the LINE Supernatural, which has the metal matrix, like the Prophet before it, I suspect this will make this ski fairly 'dull' in terms of performance. But because of this it will be stable at speed, but will lack the 'poppy', playful element. Probably mostly likely to be described as an all mountain charger.

I love the Prophet in the crud. Whilst it is happy in powder, it's not amazing. It doesn't feel massively 'floaty'.

Hope that is of assistance?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I ski pretty fast and I try to ski more on technique. My technique could never be described as perfect, however I am planning to get some lessons to improve it.

I suspected that about my list, I think it comes from not being 100% sure what the key things I should be looking for are.

Thanks for the advice!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@dh1990, you would probably find some private tuition at this stage very useful in terms of your progression. I know I did.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Feast, Yup that's what I figure. Going to have 1 or 2 days I think.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@dh1990, 1 or 2 days private?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Feast, Probably private with my sister who is about the same level as me.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
a couple of hours a day, for a couple of days of private lessons is probably enough. you'll really enjoy it. but you'll be shattered afterwards.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am a similar height and weight to yourself, maybe slightly more advanced/experienced based on your self assessment and last year I got some Blizzard Brahmas.

Only had 1 week on them so far (and no off piste due to conditions) and they've been great!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for that!

Apologies for dregging this thread from the dead again, I have been reading about the Armada TST. Is this a ski that would be good choice? I ask because it seems to get good reviews on the sorts of skiing I would do and I've seen some really good prices for last seasons version.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy