Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thoughts for late March near Munich

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've got some flights booked to Munich for last week in March (28th) and had originally thought of going to Solden.

Now wondering whether there might be anywhere a bit nearer as we are only going for 4 days and so minimising travel times would be more desirable.

Any suggestions?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Ray Zorro, Söden is about 3h drive ( maybe a bit less ), St. Anton about 2h30 on a good day, Zillertal (Hochfügen) about 1h40 or thereabouts, Kitzbühel about 1h30. I would just decide spontaneously if you have transport. Look at the snow reports and go. I don't think you'll have problems finding accomodation in resort at end of March.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have done the journey down to Zillertal (1hr 40), Flachau (2hrs) and Obertauern (2hrs 20), All easy drives and hassle-free. Had a good time in Obertauern last March when everywhere else was suffering from poor conditions. If you can wait until last minute before deciding and the weather Gods are good to you, there are some lovely smaller resorts around Achensee - 1hr 15. Word to the wise. Queues for some of the car rental desks can be 1hr +. Sixt and Avis are often better staffed if a little more expensive at first glance. Also, skis tend to take ages to come through baggage reclaim at Munich. Good luck.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hey @Ray Zorro, which day of the week do you fly in ? I ask because, depending on when you arrive, you can be well into the Ski Amade ( for example ) in considerably less than 3 hours from Munich. Or, if it's a Friday night, after 3 hours, you'll still be looking at the Allianz Arena Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys!!

I understand your comments on waiting on conditions, but there are 5 of us, so we may well take a chance and prebook accommodation. Think Zillertal sounds the best option for us, though from first glance it looks like the main accommodation is around Kaltenbach rather than Hochfugen?

Comments noted about the car rental - thanks!

@Timberwolf, we are on the 06:20 from Gatwick on the Saturday, so should land about 09:15

Wanting to get some skiing in that afternoon.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Two years ago we did the Munich car rental through one of the internet agencies (might have been HolidayAutos but not sure). The oufit they used at the airport had a huge queue and took ages to sort everything out. We had pre-paid for Winter Tyres and they had to make several phone calls before that was agreed. They wanted to sell us insurance waiver and we declined as we have an annual policy for that - again several phone calls. This didn't seem unique to us. Everyone seemed delayed. We waited for in excess of 90 minutes to collect our car.
Last year we used Avis. Took less than 5 minutes total. Going again this year. Not booked car hire yet but will be using Avis
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That is the first weekend of the German schools Easter holidays so traffic around Munich will most likely be horrendous. Eleven out of 16 States either start their holidays that weekend or it is the first full weekend. Might be better to use a Bayern ticket to Kufstein and then a taxi from Kufstein up to one of the Skiwelt resorts. Five people can travel on all the public transport in Bavaria for 43 Euro but includes destinations like Kufstein and Salzburg in Austria because they are right on the borders.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The train from Munich to Jenbach takes less than 1.30 if I remember, then its a case of jumping on the Zillertalbahn and jumping off at your required spot. It may not be the cheapest of ways for a family of five however.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@JohnHSmith, @wib, thanks for advice, just booked Avis - they were pretty reasonable anyway.

Not sure why they asked whether I wanted to pay extra for snow tyres - I assumed that was mandatory for a hire car in Germany Confused
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Samerberg Sue, thanks. I read your comment after booking the car - I may just have to sit in a queue then Sad

Hard to answer at this stage in the season I know, but is Skiwelt usually an option for March 28?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Ray Zorro, yes, SkiWelt is usually fine right through till April, as is Kitzbühel, which quite often has runs open into May. The Söll/SkiWelt season runs through till 12.04 as far as I can see. Kitz runs through to 03.05
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Ray Zorro, I can give you a cross country route that avoids the usual hold ups if you want. It's one I use quite often if I have to collect /deliver someone to the airport on a peak weekend. Maybe longer, but even in the worst weather guaranteed to be more scenic Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Samerberg Sue, thanks - I would value your local knowledge of an potential alternatives. I'll come back to you when we have decided on a resort if I may snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy