Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort recommendation for family at Easter

Poster: A snowHead
We're taking the kids (7 & 9) for their first ski holiday at the start of April. I've been looking for suitable sensibly priced accommodation for that time and haven't focused as much on the resort but think this might be putting the cart before the horse. So rather than look for accommodation first that suits and then making the resort work for us I'm hoping you nice folks could recommend some suitable resorts for us to visit. I'll then endeavour to locate suitable budget accommodation there. Our criteria for a resort are:

- high enough to guarantee (as much as poss.) that they'll be some snow in April
- plenty of wide green and blues and no (or limited) narrow transitions
- has plenty of stuff to do for the kids after the slopes i.e. skating, tobogganing, swimming, restaurants
- Ski in/out would be ideal if poss.

Does anyone have any resort suggestions? Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@JuJitsoup, I would suggest looking at Arc 1950, Montgenevre and Val Cenis for this Easter. Montgenevre is my favourite all round and is excellent for beginners.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Risoul would be worth considering, if you can get accommodation with a pool.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anywhere really, we've struggled to have a bad holiday over Easter, conditions have generally good if a little heavy going at times. If you are skiing to a budget then look at areas that offer free children's skiing when an adult pass is bought. Off the top of my head Ski Amade, Skiwelt, Paradiski amd Serre Chevalier offer this most Easters (age dependant). I'm sure there are a few others that offer it too.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lovely, thank you all for the great info. Gives me a great starting point. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@JuJitsoup, have a look at Vallandry, is linked to Arc area, so plenty of snow sure slopes for Easter, but runs above Vallandry are ideal for beginners. As it's a satellite resort, is cheaper than main Arc resorts but still easy to get to sk areas
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
La Plagne would suit your brief
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You could do a lot worse than Sainte foy.

Lift passes cheap, good snow retention, there is accommodation with pool. Etolie des cimes was really reasonable price when we stayed there. Peak retreats is a U.K. agent for it

Great safe resort for kids......

Good luck
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ski2 operate out of Champoluc in Italy which is great resort and Ski2 really look after you and the kids. I've skied for 30 years and we're going back for the third time having only found it 4 years ago.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Obertauern in Austria and you will probably get free ski passes for the children as well. About an hour south of Salzburg and only the last 5 or 6 kilometres could be called mountain roads. The rest of the journey is motorway and A road along the valleys
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Assuming the children are going to a ski school then finding somewhere with a good one would be a top priority.

You may need the off slope stuff less than you think. After a full days skiing, chilling, eating, board games are often enough (I have children of the same age).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Useful thread. Was about to start my own on the self same topic.

We are limited to places within a reasonable drive of Lyon and I was erring toward Les Arcs/ Peisey-Vallandry so good to see those mentioned on here.

Jujutsoup did you decide on anywhere?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Risoul
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is Risoul snow-sure, then? Had a quick look and it really does look quite appealing.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Risoul - It's high but southern Alps. Took my family for their first time. They loved it. Lovely yogurt pot lift up to easy slopes down. They all went from the top of the mountain by the end of the week.
Wonderful sweet shop on the main street. Great sledging run at the bottom of the slopes. Nice ski over to Vars. Very charming little place for a high altitude resort. I've done most of the other French high resorts but would take a young family to Risoul every time
snow conditions
Thanks cameron. I think we have ruled it out on the basis of difficulty of access, though. We have to go into Lyon for complicated reasons ...
snow conditions
Les Deux Alpes would work OK from Lyon.
latest report
The problem with Risoul is acccess - We drove form Turin. The advantage, however is the lack of crowds which you will get in resorts near to major cities at holiday times. If you have to go to Lyon I guess the obvious answer is to head out towards the big French resorts. La PLagne is mostly north facing. Couchevel is also pretty much north facing with the bonus of being able to get over to VT where the snow is always good.
ski holidays
I would agree with. Les Deux Alpes. Guaranteed skiing and plenty to do in the town. We drove down last Easter and are planning to repeat this year.
ski holidays
Quote:

The advantage, however is the lack of crowds which you will get in resorts near to major cities at holiday times.

in most French resorts Easter isn't crowded, and it's low season for accommodation costs. Maybe some of the resorts where lots of British package tourists go are busy, but most aren't because the French have mostly given up skiing by then.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

The advantage, however is the lack of crowds which you will get in resorts near to major cities at holiday times.

in most French resorts Easter isn't crowded, and it's low season for accommodation costs. Maybe some of the resorts where lots of British package tourists go are busy, but most aren't because the French have mostly given up skiing by then.

I've wasted fair too much time waiting for the lift up the Bellecote glacier or the big cable car up to Salluire at Courchevel at Easter over the years......
latest report
Oh I loathe busy slopes, we usually go to italy for that very reason Laughing

From the amount of accommodation on offer, it really would seem to be off-peak.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the info. We've now booked to go to Montgenevre Very Happy at Easter. Looks perfect for us as it seems geared up well for kids and beginners. Found a good deal on accom, an OK deal on flights (Turin), car hire and kids ski lesson but the cost of the lift passes for 6 days is eye-watering Shocked, 5th most expensive in the Alps. I was hoping their cost would be graduated, as we won't be heading too far afield as the kids are beginners but not so. From the looks of it though it's not cheap skiing anywhere in France.
ski holidays
@robertsnerys, you are right. I understand that access to Risoul is a bit difficult if you're not starting from the Italian/Turin side. Great resort for family, though. @JuJitsoup, I've heard great things about Montgenevre from friends.
snow report
@cameronphillips2000, yeah, well, if you go to the 3 Valleys in UK school hols, you expect queues and crowds.
snow conditions
In fact I've stood in lift queues in the 3 Valleys in the middle of January.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy