Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to propose in Morzine/Avoriaz

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all,

I'm hoping someone with some local knowledge might be able to help me!

I'm going to Morzine next Friday for a long weekend and the plan is to propose to my girlfriend while there.

Does anyone know any good spots which are a bit out of the way and won't be too crowded, preferably up the mountain somewhere (provided there's enough snow to get there)?

I really haven't thought the actual proposal part through enough...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No idea but good luck Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My OH says at the top of "The Wall" snowHead Good luck with the proposal! Great choice of destination!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How about on the terrace of La Grande Ourse overlooking Les Gets? It would be lovely on a sunny day.

http://www.lagrandeourse.eu/
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It is so unromantic that you let loads of strangers tell you the prettiest spot to propose, why not pick a spot that is nice to you both? what about a good day out and stop for a picnic in a spot you both like then do it?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
biddpyat wrote:
It is so unromantic that you let loads of strangers tell you the prettiest spot to propose, why not pick a spot that is nice to you both?

What a load of nonsense! rolling eyes

I did the same thing last year, in the 3V, and ended up wishing I had asked ahead as we nearly missed our special lunch I had booked because I kept putting it off trying to find somewhere private! Ended up skiing a little off piste and just shouting to her to follow, something that normally would have got down very badly, but this was the exception Very Happy

Your right to try to have an idea of where to do it, not sure I can help too much as it's been a few years since I have been, but would have thought Morzine/Les Gets would be quieter, and as I rememer it is very pretty

Good luck, getting through security is a right panic!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't think it nonsense at all, I ski , have skied for years , and as a couple there are places that are so pretty that a surprise is excellent in a spot where they both stop and say wow look at that, while the view is perfect, and you can ask ahead of pointers for a good view, you may just both end up having a great laugh in a different spot, and why not pop the question when you are both feeling the moment, rather than waiting for a specific moment. The Idea of asking her in the alps with snow is all around is sweet, don't let anyone tell you the spot to do it, because then it is not a feeling, it is a rehearsed spot, ie. we have to get to this spot.. be a total surprise ask her in a gondola or when you are having coffee in a nice spot, keep it in your pocket, and when she LEAST expects it, then ask her.
Believe it or not the place you decide to get married is less important than the why you want to get married. It will be mad romantic if you just do it..... believe me.
@SkiG, Romance is not a setting, no matter what the movies say, romance is from the heart, and if you need someone to point you to romantic settings, it is not nonsense from me, rolling eyes it is just a fact, the place doesn't make the romance, the couple do..... so if you fell short, it wasn't the setting......
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@SkiG, you sir are rude, so I will return your rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I just proposed to Lady Flashman on the hill at Kirkwood, and actually, while it worked as I had scouted out the area the day before, tips would have been welcome.

She said yes, so all good.

@Salgar, how good are you guys? If it's a nice powdery day, there are some pretty and relatively secluded spots off piste off the back of the Combes black run at the top of Prodains. Either a lovely powder field/trees which you can get to off the first major corner, or some spots if you simply go into the back bowl by tramping right off the chairlift and then turning left into the bowl and traversing over towards the far trees (latter not recommended after heavy snow and if no avalanche control has been done there).

Good luck! Proposing on the slopes just worked for me, so fingers crossed for you too!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PS - if you are not comfortable going off piste, wait until the end of a sunny day, after they have put the closed sign onto blue run no 34, which also goes down to the Prodains base station (accessed from Avoriaz, top of the Prodains gondola).

One of my favourite runs of the resort - trees and superb views, especially in the late afternoon sunshine. 10 minute bus into Morzine centre from the bottom. Can be a bit swept/icy if conditions are poor though, as during the day it's a busy run.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Top of Mont Chery, Les Gets. It a 5 min walk up from the chairlift to the observation table at the summit, it's a beautiful view, you'll have some privacy, and it's where Mrs Shep said "yes" Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What @shep, says.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@shep, where did you propose though? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
biddpyat wrote:

@SkiG, Romance is not a setting, no matter what the movies say, romance is from the heart, and if you need someone to point you to romantic settings, it is not nonsense from me, rolling eyes it is just a fact, the place doesn't make the romance, the couple do..... so if you fell short, it wasn't the setting......

More nonsense rolling eyes

Not going to continue this beyond this reply as I don't want to take over what is an important thread for the OP, but there is absolutely nothing unromantic about trying to plan the setting for a proposal. A gondola which is full of people or a piste which is crowded is not as romantic as a secluded spot with just the two of you. You may disagree, however the majority of women would agree with me. And for that matter the original poster clearly thinks his other half would think that more romantic (and it's fairly safe to say he will have a better idea than you!).

And I definitely did not fall short so don't be at it.

More importantly, Salgar, have you thought about what sort of time you want to do it at? Something that I hadn't fully appreciated when I did it is what happens afterwards! If your other half is anything like mine then she will want to phone her parents, your parents, have a celebratory bottle of bubbly etc. Late in the day when the pistes are less crowded and your heading home soon might be a good move, although I know that if you have the ring with you it sort of burns a hole in your pocket!

Good luck and enjoy it!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just don't do what my mate did several years ago. He carried the ring around all week but just couldn't get the right moment in a group holiday in Les Arc.
He eventually, literally, threw the ring at her in the apartment in the middle of a drunken argument, she cried and said yes. True story and they've been married ages now with 3 lovely boys.
ski holidays
I don't think there's anything wrong at all with asking for a few tips! Otherwise you might never find a good location. People who know the resort well would know some very pretty spots I'm sure.

The suggestion by @shep sounds lovely. Good luck, it's such a fabulous moment.

My OH chose sunset in Tuscany to ask and it was perfect.
ski holidays
This is just a suggestion, but I think it would be quite amusing to do this in a ski rental shop, with the immortal and very romantic line ...

"Darling, forget all this glossy commercial hardware in front of us. Would it be OK to rent you as my wife, till death us do part, free of charge?"

No jokes about waxing, lengths etc., please.

I think this suggestion would assure you of a very long and happy life together. Or perhaps not!

Wishing you an exciting and happy future. David
latest report
I proposed at the top of the Wall. We had skied it, got the chair lift back up, I popped the question, she said yes, went into the restaurant for a quick beer and then spent the afternoon skiing = perfect Very Happy
snow report
My husband popped the question on a chairlift in Merible. We were on a group holiday but he'd made sure we were on the lift alone, it was perfect, and we managed to not drop the ring! I don't know Morzine/Avoriaz but there could be a long chairlift in the sun that might work?

Good luck Happy
ski holidays
shep wrote:
Top of Mont Chery, Les Gets. It a 5 min walk up from the chairlift to the observation table at the summit, it's a beautiful view, you'll have some privacy, and it's where Mrs Shep said "yes" Madeye-Smiley

Great suggestion.
ski holidays
I vote for Mont Chery too - easy enough to have a word with Grande Ourse in advance and get a nice table for lunch for you both afterwards.

S
snow conditions
Yes perfect @Nadenoodlee, table in the corner right hand side Very Happy
snow conditions
I had a Les Gets proposal. On day 13 of our 15 day holiday; don't know if he had been scouting a location all that time or not. He said the worst bit was carrying the ring about all that time and worrying I would either find it or he would lose it. With that in mind you may wish to do it sooner rather than later. Lots of places to choose I think you will be spoilt for choice, just go with what feels right. Good luck!
snow report
There's a beautiful view from the top of the chair looking back towards the lindarets bowl at the start of the abricotine piste - the super long blue back to avoriaz. Late in the day it can be fairly quiet up there and you can ski abricotine then onto the blue all the way down to ardent.
snow report
MOssettes is longest slowest chairlift ever. I'd divorce someone who made me take that wink
snow conditions
@Nadenoodlee, Very Happy

Great thread! What a romantic bunch we are... Blush
latest report
mah wrote:
I had a Les Gets proposal. On day 13 of our 15 day holiday; don't know if he had been scouting a location all that time or not. He said the worst bit was carrying the ring about all that time and worrying I would either find it or he would lose it. With that in mind you may wish to do it sooner rather than later. Lots of places to choose I think you will be spoilt for choice, just go with what feels right. Good luck!

This!!
latest report
Another vote for Mont Chery. Someone on here called it Narnia once and it is exactly that - magical, although I've only ever been up there in the mist and snow! Good luck, don't drop the ring in the powder, and please comeback and let us know how it goes.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have no recommendations but a huge good luck and hope she accepts snowHead
snow report
Another vote for the huge blue run - I think it is Abricotine . Is that the run where there is a large wooden cross near the top - stunning views from there andd that spot would be my shout.
snow conditions
My SIL proposed to our daughter nearly four years ago at the end of February, on her birthday, at the top of the Chamossiere. They know it very well, and that day he suggested that they walked up to the top - she said that as she was walking up there, carrying her skis, she did shout to him 'this had better be worth it' - and then he got out the ring.... and the rest is history. Their very best friends who were skiing with them at the time caught up pretty quickly, and then they said that they found a lot of cafes on the way back to our chalet with Champagne, and not much skiing got done that day.
He had phoned us the night before to talk to the Father - and I kept him on the phone for ages about whether he had managed to fix a leak on the washing machine.... so long that one of the others in the chalet hadn't realised that he was out in the garden and had locked him out and he had to knock to get back in - and come up with a cock and bull story about what he had been doing.

The friends who were with them had been waiting ages for this proposal - she told me afterwards that she used to grab hold of her husband and say 'just let them get on this lift on their own' to give him the opportunity.

There is the teeniest little bit of blue sky now up above Mt Chery.
snow report
tarrantd wrote:
No idea but good luck Very Happy Very Happy

This, but best of luck mate - hope it all goes well.
ski holidays
@Salgar, Good luck....please let us know the outcome. Smile
latest report
How about somewhere along the Grand Paradis (is there enough snow?), amazing views of the Dents du Midi along a tree-lined route, or, closer to resort, off-piste near Les Hauts Forts (Tête d'Arare) - mostly quiet with views across the peaks. Good luck!
snow report
One word of caution from me. Make sure she is careful taking her gloves off. Unless the ring fits very snugly there is a chance of it coming off due cold hands shrinking.

I speak from personal experience. I got married in Dec and had our honeymoon in Vail. Out for a walk around the village one evening we had a little play snowball fight. I took my gloves off to shake the snow out. An hour later we got back to the hotel and there was no wedding ring on my finger. We walked back to the place we're i took my gloves off and despite a couple of inches of fresh snow Mrs ansta1 spotted it at the bottom of a snow hole. More luck than skill but a true story.
snow conditions
If it's a sunny day do it at the top of nyon as it
Overlooks morzine and us stunning! Or at the top of
The fornet chair avoriaz! Get to the top walk
Right and stand on the edge of the cornice which
Looks towards nyon n les gets! Also have the famous
Dent blanch to your left (white teeth)
Good luck mate
ski holidays
Realistically, have you already agreed that you are going to get married, so she is expecting you to propose soon and her answer is a foregone conclusion? If yes, then propose in whatever romantic spot you think your girlfriend will like. If you haven't, propose in a place you can actually have a conversation, in case the answer is "Er..." (even if she eventually says yes). There is absolutely nothing romantic about being put on the spot and having to deliver an expected line and deal with the awkwardness if you don't, if your response is "Well, probably, but there are things we need to talk about" or "No."
snow report
Amazing responses, thanks everyone! sorry for not getting back to you sooner, was just out organising the ring yesterday Smile

I'll study the piste map at work this week and figure out where all of these places are. I don't know where we'll ski on which days yet but it should be fairly easy to go to one of these and I'll just figure out when the time is right, might be at one of these spots or on the chairlift or somewhere else Smile

I'm fairly certain she will say yes, although we haven't discussed it for a while so she will definitely be surprised.

We're both quite good (she is better than me) but we probably wouldn't do any unguided off piste unless it was very obvious where it started and ended, i.e. between pistes. But i'll take a look at the map.

Thanks everyone!
ski holidays
Is there a Fole Douce in Resort? If so do it there as if she says no you can get blootered and try to hook up with a drunk student.

Good luck
snow report
Assume you mean Folie Douce @davidhammy, the answer is no. Thank god.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy