Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New ski boots - pins and needles?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I have read a few of these sorts of posts but none seem to correlate to the bracket of boot I'm purchasing. I bought some Salomon X pro 120 and custom foot beds from sno and rock about a fortnight ago. I had them fully fitted including the shell being moulded. However after wearing them for an hour in the house i get pins and needles, is this normal for new boots? I have also skied for an hour at Castleford to where I have found that the right boot doesn't fit as well as the left does to pressure points on the top side of the foot as well as the ankle pockets not feeling so good. So I went back to the store (after not wearing them in the house and the Cas trip) and they said that I don't have enough evidence for them to do anything with them after only an hour's worth skiing and no wearing around the house. They did take the stick measurement and said that my foot fits ok in the shell and has at least 15mm of movement to take the liner. But I don't really understand how I drop £400 on a pair of boots and they're not feeling comfortable after about 2.5 hours of boot fitting.

So I'm asking if the pins and needles are normal and will go away after a weeks skiing or is there something wrong and the shop isn't being very fair?

Thanks in advance Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can they not make some adjustments to the fitting? there's quite a few things they can do I believe. I would ware them around the house some more and see if it gets any easier.

Its a shame you didn't go to the Ellis Brigham at Castleford, there is a really good boot fitter there and they will let you go back and make adjustments as many times as it takes to get it right.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That is pure sod's law as I was going to go there in the first place but I had arrived too late for the boot fitting :@
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You've been misinformed, their website states:
"BOOT COMFORT GUARANTEE
When you buy boots from us we will do our best to ensure they fit. If any problems develop prior to going skiing, we will refit or change the boot at no charge and refund the difference if you choose a cheaper model. For full details, see our terms and conditions." (t&cs http://www.snowandrock.com/terms-and-conditions/content/fcp-content#ski-boot-comfort)

Well worth going back, pins and needles doesn't sound like a well fitting boot. Might also be worth a trip to a dry slope if you've got one near you, I did that when I had boots fitted at S&R last year and managed to have a few changes made before I went on holiday.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
eetherington wrote:
But I don't really understand how I drop £400 on a pair of boots and they're not feeling comfortable after about 2.5 hours of boot fitting.

Well I dropped a whole lot more than that on my last foam injected liner-ed with high-end shells boots and many many more hours than 2.5 before they stopped hurting.
I guess you can either spend time fitting them, skiing them, tweaking them, repeat, etc and get a boot that fits well and works well, or..... you can have them instantly super comfy, blow out the shell, etc, but not really give you the control..., or you can just be really lucky and get both.
Since I really noticed and cared about my boots performance, I've never had any that didn't require at least some if not quite significant tweaks

Even my super-loafer touring-ish boots got a new intuition liner fitted a few weeks ago and even they had a bit more pressure than I'd have liked for a few days of skiing.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 2-01-15 2:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@eetherington, sounds like you have discovered Snow & Rock "boot fitting" = go back, quote their website, might be worth printing it off if required, take your receipt and ask for your money back.

Then go and see a decent boot fitter.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's a while since I've worn my boots at home but if you've done your boots up good and tight (and there's no point if you haven't) then it wouldn't seem unusual for sitting around inactive at home to lead to pins and needles. A good, close fitting pair of boots won't fit correctly unless you're standing up in the ski position and when you're resting your heart rates drops down and there's much less pressure to keep the blood flowing.

Tight spots should disappear as the liner packs out a bit.

I can't speak for the fitters but I do wonder if what they mean is that it's not clear at this stage what, if anything, needs correcting.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@eetherington, people seem to get hung up on the length of a boot "it has X many mm shell check therefore it is correct!" overall shape and volume of the boot are really important too and just being in a boot the right length does not make them right or wrong... pins and needles is pretty common if you are sat around the house in a new boot, it takes 3 or 4 days of skiing to get the liner to bed in but what is causing the pins and needles??? is it pressure on top of the foot which needs a bit more space, the footbed not supporting your foot properly, a limitation in the available flexion at your ankle joint due to a tight calf muscle or some other problem??? these things should be ruled out before just assuming that the liner will pack down (even though it probably will)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
"BOOT COMFORT GUARANTEE
When you buy boots from us we will do our best to ensure they fit. If any problems develop prior to going skiing, we will refit or change the boot at no charge and refund the difference if you choose a cheaper model. For full details, see our terms and conditions." (t&cs http://www.snowandrock.com/terms-and-conditions/content/fcp-content#ski-boot-comfort)

Well worth going back, pins and needles doesn't sound like a well fitting boot. Might also be worth a trip to a dry slope if you've got one near you, I did that when I had boots fitted at S&R last year and managed to have a few changes made before I went on holiday.

The OP states they used them at Castleford so that would probably constitute skiing and therefore the guarantee would not apply.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
How would you know if they have a problem prior to actually using them?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Once the boots are used, even for an hour in Castleford, then they would not resaleable.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If the shell and liner have been moulded surely they can't be resold, can they?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It would depend on what defines "moulded". If all they did was put the liners and shell in the warmer then they could resell as they would simply do the same for the next purchasers.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gaza wrote:
Once the boots are used, even for an hour in Castleford, then they would not resaleable.

Don't think that's quite the point of a comfort guarantee is it? Ski boots aren't exactly your average pair of shoes.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gaza wrote:
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
"BOOT COMFORT GUARANTEE

The OP states they used them at Castleford so that would probably constitute skiing and therefore the guarantee would not apply.

Guarantee still applies for refitting though, which OP was told wouldn't happen.
snow conditions
Quote:
If any problems develop prior to going skiing

He went skiing to Castleford beofre going back to the supplier. If he had gone back prior to skiing at Castleford the guarantee would have applied. However, it seems the OP had issues around the house and went to Castleford to see if things improved. They didn't, so he is relying on the goodwill of the supplier to do something to help.[/u]
latest report
Gaza wrote:

True but after 3 attempts to change they will buy them back at a % of the price 70 or 80 I think. I got mine done that way
ski holidays
@Gaza

Think you have the wrong end of the stick, read the full T&Cs linked above.

My interpretation of the OP is that S&R aren't willing to make adjustments after so LITTLE time in the boots. Perhaps, given the complaint, their approach is to let the liners pack down first (not saying that is nessesarily the right approach). Having said that, I do think the shop should have done a better job of explaining their policy and why at this stage they are unwilling to make any further modifications. There is always two sides to a story

It takes days (not hours) for liners to pack down. Get some more slope time in them, wear them round the house and it they are still giving you trouble take them back and be specific about what you are not happy about.
ski holidays
This is a BIG serious problem, I bought a pair of Nordica 3 clip boots from Snow & Rock a couple of years ago ... I spent a long time getting them fitted so I could be sure.
I found the boots were comfy on the piste for about 2 hours and then my left foot would start screaming at me .. then when I took it off, the right foot would start to grisle.
I was in agony every day until I performed the double barreled orgasm at the end of each afternoon when got my boots off.

But my feet although much happier, would carry on tingling with "pins and needles" .. I didnt mind it that much .. but it lasted for 3 months.

Talking to people, we consider that the three clip boot design was just not right for my feet and it was cutting off circulation to the foot.

I took them back to Snow & Rock for a fettaling to no avail, after a couple of hours the same problem.

In a fit of desperation I bought a pair of Salomon Xpro 120 in Tignes, problem solved in a 20 minute fitting session, comfiest boots I've ever had.
Feet happy ski happy .. they will last the rest of my ski life.

I sold the Nordicas for £15 on eBay .. I hope they fit whoever bought them.
snow conditions
Gaza wrote:
Quote:
If any problems develop prior to going skiing

He went skiing to Castleford beofre going back to the supplier. If he had gone back prior to skiing at Castleford the guarantee would have applied. However, it seems the OP had issues around the house and went to Castleford to see if things improved. They didn't, so he is relying on the goodwill of the supplier to do something to help.[/u]

Not sure of the specifics of how snow and rock work, but here I think it is implied that the bootfitter a ) knows enough about what they are doing to get things heading in the right direction b ) Since it is quite hard to achieve boot perfection every (any?) time at least a few follow up visits are expected to get things just right.
I'm not sure I would ever be able to find out all/any of the problems from just walking round the house, but rather I go out do a few runs the first time out to pick up any major problems and build it up from there to get things dialed in. So to have a comfort guarantee that stops the first time you ski in them would seem a little strange.
With my high-end boots I was back in the boot shop after almost every day of skiing getting something done for quite some time - and this was one of the best boot guys in Whistler (though somewhat reluctant to ever compromise on performance for comfort! Madeye-Smiley )
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy