Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche warnings in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Avalanche warnings in Austria
Continuing heavy snow fall in Austria's Alpine regions has raised the risk of avalanches and prompted urgent safety warnings to hikers and skiers to avoid the areas deemed most prone to snow slides.

Strong winds and snow fall of up to 120 centimeters (47 inches) in sections of Styria, a mountainous province in southern Austria near the border with Slovenia, put the avalanche risk there at four on a five-point scale on which five is the most dangerous stage, according to the Central Institute for Meteorology and Geodynamics in Vienna.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Surprized it's only Styria and not Salzburg or western "Upper Austria" too calling the avalanche warnings.
Most of the snow seems to have fallen on the Upper Austria / Styrian border (just east of Salzburg)

The resorts at the top of this list are in middle Austria around Salzburg
http://www.bergfex.at/austria/schneewerte/?sortBy=Berg

Ski Amade doesn't have the best of snow records (e.g. when compared to Tyrol) but if I wasn't already booked up to visit another resort with over 200 cm I'd be thinking about giving it a try at Xmas.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Ski Amade doesn't have the best of snow records (e.g. when compared to Tyrol)

Are you sure? I don't have the figures, but having skied quite a few times at the Gasteins, Dienten, Zauchensee etc and always had great snow, maybe not up there with Lech & St Anton, but I'd be surprised if they weren't a better bet than Soll, Westendorf, Alpbach etc?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Plake wrote:
Quote:

Are you sure? I don't have the figures, but having skied quite a few times at the Gasteins, Dienten, Zauchensee etc and always had great snow, maybe not up there with Lech & St Anton, but I'd be surprised if they weren't a better bet than Soll, Westendorf, Alpbach etc?

I skied Ski Amade in March 2000 and the conditions were pretty bad (it was unusually warm).

We agree - Ski Amade can't compare to places like St Anton, Lech, Obergurgl etc for snow reliability. i.e. I wouldn't put it up there with the best/most reliable Austrian resorts. But I'd agree it's more reliable than the other places you mentioned. I was just making it aware to other snowheads who were thinking about a last minute booking that Ski Amade has very good conditions at the moment (even better than Tyrol which is not normal).

Follow the snow ......
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
.... or follow the money, when there's no snow.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Back from Ski Amade (Flachau, Zauchensee, Wagrain etc).
Five days, (Dec 8-12) always sunny, best skiing in my life.
We wanted to go to Tyrol, but the poor snow condition and the small number of open pistes made us change our mind.
Flachau area was the perfect choice. Over 120 cm powder in the brightest sunshine.
No draglifts, no queue at the lifts, ... I want to go back.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Plake wrote:
Quote:

Just had this email today from SCGB re Bad Gastein ( where I am going on 4/2/06 ) part of the Ski Amade area

lower slopes - 50 cms
upper slopea - 70 cms
last snowed - 18/12/05
20cms of fresh powder
lifts open 7/13
on piste - powder
off piste - powder
resorts runs - fresh
Improving conditions due to fresh snow
temp - -9 c

Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hibernia, we're off to Bad Gastein on New Year's Eve for a week. I was also a bit worried about going so early in the season but not now! More snow is forecast for the next few days also. The Sportgastein area has about 140 cm at the top according to the Bad Gastein web site.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kerekip, where did you stay?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy