Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing after ankle operation

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

On the 13th of September I broke my ankle in a rugby match. I then underwent an operation on the next morning where I had two screws put in to attach and realign the fragments with the growth plate. I then had a temporary cast for two weeks and was put into a fibre glass cast for 6 weeks whilst non weight bearing. After that time, I then had a boot for about 6 weeks which I gradually put weight though whilst it supported my ankle and prohibited my leg from flexing forward.

I have now started walking without the boot and with a crutch if I'm walking anywhere far. I have also started Physio therapy to rebuild strength and improve balance. My dad has booked a chalet in Andermatt for the a week from the 14th of February. If I continue to do my exercises as much as I can, do you think I will be able to ski? I already have a good range of motion but still have trouble walking anywhere far as I have pain on the front of my ankle.

All the best,

Euan Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have 9 screws and a plate on my fibula after a bad footballing injury and I wish I had not gone back to sport as early as the doctors said I could (I gave up playing football after that, sadly).

Your ankle will take longer to heal than you think and if you get it wrong, you'll have a weakness for years. It isn't worth the risk. I know, as I have a weakness now.

The above said, people can advise you all they want, you need to make the decision yourself and I know I wouldn't have the self control.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@EuanFraser, Can't advise you on the skiing aspect of this, but I suspect one thing that may cause significant pain/damage is putting your boots on/off. I find that a lot of strain on my ankles. Best bit of ski kit I have is a Slippin. Works brilliantly with tight or damp boots.

http://youtube.com/v/RKqJv4MFg_8
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi@foxtrotzulu, I tried getting into some boots a few days ago and although it was a bit difficult, my ankle feelt fine if not better with the boot on as it was supported a lot. Thanks @mr_merc, My bone has fully healed, the problem is the weakness in the muscles and ligaments surrounding the ankle.. I will stick to my physio as much as I can and hopefully I will be able to ski in February.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
EuanFraser wrote:
Hi all,

On the 13th of September I broke my ankle in a rugby match. I then underwent an operation on the next morning where I had two screws put in to attach and realign the fragments with the growth plate. I then had a temporary cast for two weeks and was put into a fibre glass cast for 6 weeks whilst non weight bearing. After that time, I then had a boot for about 6 weeks which I gradually put weight though whilst it supported my ankle and prohibited my leg from flexing forward.

I have now started walking without the boot and with a crutch if I'm walking anywhere far. I have also started Physio therapy to rebuild strength and improve balance. My dad has booked a chalet in Andermatt for the a week from the 14th of February. If I continue to do my exercises as much as I can, do you think I will be able to ski? I already have a good range of motion but still have trouble walking anywhere far as I have pain on the front of my ankle.

All the best,

Euan Very Happy

Sounds a reasonable goal if healed and surgeon happy with that decision.

Issues to address: -

Try to max the recovery of range of motion especially dorsi flexion ( lifting foot up to wards the face)

Then balance excercises and calf strength

Jonathan Bell
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for your reply. I had a physio appointment a few days ago where she measured my dorsi flexion and the opposite where i pointed my toes to the floor. The dorsi flexion measured pretty much the same as my other ankle and slightly less pointing towards the ground. If i continue to do my exercises, do you think i will be able to ski in February?

All the Best

Euan

@Jonathan Bell,
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I broke my Fibula and ruptured ligaments in November 2008, was skiing February half term 2009. I have a plated fib. I went out thinking I'd stick to the blues but I'm a bloke and that didn't last long, two days later chasing down reds & blacks. The ankle has been known to get cold around the plate area even in a boot. The ankle is fine playing football Saturday & Sunday's.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
EuanFraser wrote:
Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for your reply. I had a physio appointment a few days ago where she measured my dorsi flexion and the opposite where i pointed my toes to the floor. The dorsi flexion measured pretty much the same as my other ankle and slightly less pointing towards the ground. If i continue to do my exercises, do you think i will be able to ski in February?

All the Best

Euan

@Jonathan Bell,

It certainly sounds as though you'll be recovered by then.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks @Jonathan Bell,

I've got lots of incentive to do my Physio for skiing now:) I hope everything goes to plan

All the best

Euan Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@EuanFraser, I'm a couple of months behind you wink Broke medial and lateral malleolus on 10 Nov and both repaired next day (plate and screws on the outside and screws on the inside). I am in a boot but starting to weight bear fully. Just back from physio and feeling quite positive that things are going in the right direction. I am going away in February but not really serious about skiing then. I will only just be back at work so being cautious! Going to aim to do some walking and snow shoeing and then get back into ski boots in March. Good luck with yours snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hi euan
I broke my ankle 4 years ago and had a plate and 7 screws right across the bone. i missed the first year, and then have skied every year since. I think you will only know by trying, and your body will soon tell you if you have done too much. My husband also has ankle issues and one year skied immediately after having the cast removed. A well fitting boot is key.

A couple of thoughts/tips ..
I was a little more cautious after my accident as a small realization that you can break if you fall hard !

Take the time to try on a couple of pairs of boots if you are hiring, for me the right fit avoided pressure directly on the screws.

Elevate/rest at end of ski day.

on my first day of physio after the boot was removed, i was told to lose the crutch, and in doing so started to work on balance which had been lost.

good luck
sue
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@foxtrotzulu, Slippin's are looking very appealing at the moment. That's probably the bit I'm least looking forward to, especially as I already have a high instep.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@foxtrotzulu, just to say a big thank you for the Slippin' heads up. I have managed to get my injured foot into one of my new snow walking boots (which have good support) so I have had an afternoon out of my surgical boot which is real progress Very Happy And down the line will be reassuring to have when I think about putting ski boots on.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@igLou, Glad you saw my post. The Slippin has saved my no end of agony over the last couple of years.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Seems all too common. I had ORIF (plate and screws) myself on the 25th Jan after a rugby injury. It's put paid to the trip I have booked to Japan but I'll settle for a swift recovery. I have a follow up appointment tomorrow so hopefully everything is going to plan. Hopefully won't be too long until I can get back to strength work but I guess to one tiny silver lining is that this season is a write off (rugby and skiing) so nothing to rush towards.
snow conditions
@malk, get well soon wishes coming your way Very Happy When I finally managed to get out the door on my own into a cab the driver told me about his motorcycle injury several years back. He was in toe to groin plaster for .........18 months Shocked Made me feel better.
I'm at the stage where I am still limping, still swollen and more sore than I was a few weeks back. But then I am doing more. Driving again and managing walks on uneven ground for about 30 mins. Going back to work on a phased return next week which I am having some doubts about but have lots of A/L to take over next few weeks so it will be very gradual and I have a supportive manager.
My orthopod nephew said skiing next week could be possible but my own ortho advice is no. I have to say I am nowhere near fit enough or comfortable enough to even think about ski boots so while we are still going, I'm going to bring the dog and lots of books Very Happy
latest report
@igLou, and to you (and everyone else!) too.

Got to see the wound for the first time today and they were happy with that so staples out and into a proper cast. Interesting being out and about on crutches in the snow! Work is in an office so I just had to rearrange the furniture a bit to give me something to elevate my leg on. I can work from home but get more done there.

Follow up in 4 weeks and perhaps into a boot then but we'll see, nothing to rush for and I'd definitely sacrifice some short term convenience for a better long term outcome. That said I'm saying that before I go through any of the weight bearing induced soreness you're going through now now!
snow conditions
@malk, they removed my cast at 3 weeks and produced a boot from the cupboard which surprised me! Apparently they had had a couple of DVT related deaths locally and prefer to do this now. It was great to be able to wash and to take it off at night (the first night I didn't get much sleep as it felt so vulnerable Laughing ). It was good to be able to see my wounds, being a nurse I couldn't stand not seeing them Madeye-Smiley and importantly it meant I could bend the joint.
snow report
Mrs BS Broke one ankle and strained the other last Feb. Skied quite happily over this Christmas and New Year. However, she could not get her boots on (they were a very snug fit all ready) so we bought a pair of rear entry boots! Worked a treat Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy