Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Very (!) cheap Snowchains hire

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It wasn't intentional - Honest!

Just got back from a long weekend. Got a cheap flight into Lyon, but was a little miffed that the car hire company wanted 50euros for hire of chains for the weekend - surely they aren't much more than that to buy?? After a short blast up the autoroute we stopped for a little shopping at ChamNord: a set of chains for 49euro ended up in the trolley.

Fast forward a few days....

Didn't need to use the chains to get out of the village, although it was a little slippery, and the road down the mountain was clear so we where ahead of time. Stopped at Chamnord again for a coffee and crepe. Walking past Carrefour's customer service desk, we saw a notice "return anything within 15 days unused in original packaging and with your receipt for a full refund." Well .... if you insist.

We didn't plan it this way - and normally the hypermarkets are shut on a sunday, so if you think you may want to take Carrefour at their word ....
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If its your regulr size of hire car surely you'd have been better keeping the chains to save the hassle in future?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RobW, Wonderful, a cost neutral solution, bet Carrefour get inundated with returns, how long before they change their policy I wonder Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
RobW, Marvellous result! snowHead

On a similar vein, I hired from Hertz in Lyon on December 6th, Opel astra estate. Not as lucky as you though. No snow chains were available for cars until 7th December. Didn't bode well for skiing I thought, not having skied in December before. Alas no snow! Sad

Toddled up to Tignes and low and behold beacoup snow! Very Happy No problem on the roads that day. Following day was bad though. Chainage sign illuminated and really struggled to get up to Tignes. I knew that I wouldn't get down without chains and bearing in mind the £500.00 car hire, damage excess, felt that purchase of chains was necessasy to safeguard self and self's pocket.

Regrettably only snow chains on sale were 'Pewag' (These do everything apart from self-load) - the meilleur prix was euro 170,00! Shocked

I have a good few trips there in 2006 and after explaining the situation to Hetrz, they have promised me the same vehicle for Jan 5th trip at least and will do their best to get me the same vehicle for the other trips, or failing that, a vehicle with similar tyres. Smile

You did very well compliments of Messrs Carrefour. Very Happy

PS.

Said PEWAG chains will be for sale here later! While stocks last....One set only - knockdown price! Toofy Grin

Will post Chains Model & sizes later if anyone is interested that is.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is is necessary to get chains regardless of the current road situation?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Peter Ross, The problem is that the 'current' road situation can very suddenly become the 'past road situation'. Conditions do change very quickly.

If you do not have snow chains when chains are required and the Police are normally on hand to enforce the requirement, then they will not let you travel any further up the mountain.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bernard Condon, Thanks , although I'm going from Girona to La Molina at about 11pm, would there be police about at that time? Still I suppose it's for my own safety to have them regardless of police! snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter, it's not so much a question of times. If it is snowing heavily, or there are really adverse weather conditions, then the Police will usually be on hand.

It is for your own safety really, but what tends to happen is that cars without chains, or winter tyres can easily have minor prangs in slippery conditions. I have seen just three cars block the road up to Tignes/Val d'Isere for nearly two hours. (A car without chains coming down the mountain skidded into a car going up. The following car, also without chains skidded into both and became entangled. Although Police came on the scene, they were also unable to move the cars - they summoned a snow plough which DID seperate the vehicles & none too gently either!))
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bernard Condon, I'd better check about getting snowcahins then!, might try the supermarket approach suggested above Laughing !
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Peter - Carrefour 'hire rates' seems a win-win approach and displays magnificient Gallic generousity! Toofy Grin

Incidently what route do you fly to Europe on?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bernard , flying Dublin to Girona with Ryanair, out on 29th about 2pm and return Jan 3 at about 8.30pm so can get in the best part of 5 days skiing. Cost €155, booked at start of the month. A good price for that time of year. Most of the Ryanair flights from Dublin aren't great for short hop skiing as they tend to be in the middle of the day so loosing snow time and holiday time, Aer Lingus is better for late night returns.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The alps is full of steep hair pin bends. When you need snow chains you NEED snowchains, police or no police!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
The alps is full of steep hair pin bends.

Lots of hairpin bends I agree, but not many I'd describe as steep: the road tend to contour the hills, gaining height only gradually. "Steep" means something like Hardknott Pass in the lakes - and I'd not try that in snow even *with* chains.

Quote:
When you need snow chains you NEED snowchains, police or no police!

Totally agree with you on this one. IMO it's worst on the way down: at least when going up if you start to loose grip you slow down, as when going down, there is little to stop you.....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RobW, I'm scared just thinking about this, I don't want to go car sliding, just skiiing, I think I can get a train to my destination, maybe a safer option!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peter, sorry for any concern caused! Snow chains and common sense will get you to your destination without any worries. snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy