Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIY edge repair/replacement - Advice needed please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hit a big rock at the end of last season and cracked the edge on my snowboard. Didn't want to risk catching it and ripping the edge out completely so got the guy in the rental shop to do a temporary repair with epoxy for me, but it only lasted the rest of the day, that night he dried it out properly and glued it again but i'm not convinced it will last and I think it will break again quite soon.
The crack is in the worse place possible, right in the middle of the board on my heelside edge. So to make a more permanent repair I guess I need to put a new section of edge in. I'm quite comfortable tackling the job and have access to most of the tools needed. But I'm not sure how long the new section I'm going to put in needs to be?

As the board flex's most in the middle do I want to try and move the two new joints well away from the middle buy putting in a large section of edge say 12 inches long? (or even longer?) Or is that way to much ??
Done correctly will the repair work or because of where it is am I wasting my time.

As you can see from this last photo the board has had a hard life, the edge rearward of the crack is badly gouged and there is a small section of ptex base missing just forward of the cracked edge. So replacing atleast this much seems like a good idea, which would be about 7 inches long.

Thanks
For your help

Phil
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
spyderjon once fixed a board for me with way more edge damage than that.

Try searching the forum; he posted a big piece on it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Definitely one for the experts - I wouldn't attempt this (although I can fix most issues).

Or a new board.... Sad Sad Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do not replace a section of the edge as two joints are a lot weaker than one plus it's a very invasive procedure that requires a section of perfectly good base to be removed etc. Edge replacement would be required if the edge had pulled out and/or was deformed etc, which is often combined with base damage, but all's well on your board in that respect. Best to leave well alone, especially if it's already been properly epoxied and clamped etc. Just make sure there's no high spots on either the base or side edge angles around the cracks so there's nothing to catch.

And that base damage just needs a p-tex weld job to sort it - possibly with a metalgrip foundation layer if there's any exposed core.

That's the downside of a directional board as you can't just turn the bindings around and use the other edge as your heel edge.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 31-12-14 10:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mosha Marc wrote:
spyderjon once fixed a board for me with way more edge damage than that.

Try searching the forum; he posted a big piece on it.

Here ya go:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1483078&highlight=edge+replacement#1483078
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The base surface of the edge is in pretty poor shape. You could get the board rideable with only minimal repairs, but it would take extensive work to get a sharp edge again. I would do the former and keep it as a spare and/or for days when further damage is likely (eg poor snow cover). And get a new board for most riding.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've eventually got round to an edge repair on a very old pair of armadas, I've been riding them occasionally for a few years now with half an edge missing on one side of the ski. Basically stuck to spring days and park sessions

Anyhow, I was waxing them seeing a though it has eventually snowed a bit in the pyrenees and I'm waiting for a set of bindings to arrive for another pair of skis, and thought that I really should try and do a repair. I took out the full edge down one side of the ski, from tip to tip so I wouldn't be left with any join under foot (catching on rails would be bad, have previously broken ribs because of that on these skis!)

I found an old ski knocking about in the workshop that I bought for the old fks bindings and painstakingly lifted the ptex along the edge to get the edge out.

Once done, cut the edge to size and mixed up some magic Araldite and stuffed it along the gap left from the old edge and slid the new edge in. Used duct tape to hold it all in place for 24 hours and laid a big slab of concrete over a particularly raised section. Once dried and set a good file along the joins and hopefully all will be well now!

Not claiming this to be a professional job in any way, but I didn't want to throw the skis away, but really need that edge this year with the lack of snow and hard pistes around!

Hard to tell from the photos but I can assure you that the base is far from flat and smooth now, but it wasn't before either!

Results

Sacrifical Ski

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Update on the effectiveness of the above repair. Totally unskiable, had to sideslip down the hill just to stop from falling all the way down. The ski just didn't want to do the same thing as the other one.

My tip when the edges are really knackered is go and buy a new pair of skis! Time to make a shelf out of the armadas now.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Pumba, I like your ingenuity, post some pictures up when you've done it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The pictures in the previous post were the results of the "repair".

Ingenuity is only any good if it works!!!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Pumba, Should of mentioned it was the shelf I wanted to see. Oops Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dzmarc,

Turner into a ski rack rather than a shelf.

[img[/img]
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy