Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Irish Snow 14/15

Poster: A snowHead
There's some decent snow around, Wicklow area, Nephin and Mourne Mountains all got some. Has anyone been up around there? Enough to board back down? Looking for a hike and board location for Thurs.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can ski in Ireland? Shocked
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Walk / hike up, ski down, no lifts
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is this thread a wee wee-take?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shredder, don't think there's enough up the Wicklow mountains yet, could be wrong but doesn't appear to be as much a covering as a couple of years back.
Did it in Jan '10 & '13, hard work and not great snow but still great feeling to board within a 30 mins of your own house.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah it doesn't look like it, Dublin Mountains is just light frost
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
peanuthead wrote:

Here's some skiing in the Mourne Mountains in April 2013.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
West Clare - "Mount" Calan, Jan 2010. One run of about 150 to 200m. A variety of watercraft, bodyboards, surfboards a surf canoe and a motley collection of snowboards.

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Was up mamturks on 28th very small bit of snow on the top, not skiable, looked like slightly more on the top of the mayo mountains but seemed to have all melted by the 30th with the warmer weather
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hydrox wrote:
peanuthead wrote:

Here's some skiing in the Mourne Mountains in April 2013.

Cracking vid
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@hydrox, Lovely. What height are they ? I see the online OS maps don't stretch to Northern Ireland.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers for the responses, I'll be keeping an eye out. I know there's a bit up on Lug at the moment but probably not enough coverage yet.

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
@hydrox, Lovely. What height are they ? I see the online OS maps don't stretch to Northern Ireland.

I believe the highest peak is around 800m or so, only hills really. You still need to take care up there , the weather can change very quickly. I'm not part of that group of skiers', just heard about them and thought I'd share. The OSNI do have online maps, but don't provide a freeview facility Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hydrox, cheers for the info.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snowforecast.com actually have Ireland listed.

latest report
Quote:

Snowforecast.com actually have Ireland listed.

Couldn't find Ireland there Puzzled
ski holidays
@shredder, Between Iran & Israel. As if we didn't have enough problems of our own. wink
snow report
I live by nephin, and I would hike it in winter wouldn't chance boarding down though as you could get stuck on boggy bits, we would need far more snow than we have had in a long time. Its a moot point though as the snow has melted on Nephin range.
latest report
@shredder,

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Knockanaffrin/6day/mid

Nothing on the UK listing that I can see.
snow report
Quote:

@shredder, Between Iran & Israel. As if we didn't have enough problems of our own.

Ah stupid me, was looking on snowforecast.com not snow-forecast.com. Thanks!

Quote:

I live by nephin, and I would hike it in winter wouldn't chance boarding down though as you could get stuck on boggy bits, we would need far more snow than we have had in a long time. Its a moot point though as the snow has melted on Nephin range.

Thanks for the info, wasn't sure if it was do-able just looked like it was holding the snow well.

Quote:

@shredder,

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Knockanaffrin/6day/mid

Nothing on the UK listing that I can see.

Surprised there's nothing on that yet, Indo reporting sleet from tomorrow with heaviest in the S.E - Wexford/Waterford:
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/widespread-frost-black-ice-and-sleet-on-the-way-30876654.html
ski holidays
plenty of snow down Cork way in the last few days. a whole 5-6 cms in West Cork !!! maybe I will get my skis out
latest report
Anything in Dublin or North Wicklow would love to bring the little man up
snow conditions
@hydrox, Wow! if this had been on Snowheads a week ago you might have had lots of people coming over wink Great video....hope conditions are similar now snowHead
latest report
Good bit on the road up to the hydro station, plenty of people out with sleighs. Went up Tonelagee yesterday plenty of snow but was frozen over on the north side.

http://youtube.com/v/Rn_toCB-nR0
latest report
Solid effort
snow report
Good work. Looking at some of the pics on Facebook there are some epic conditions in the North of Ireland at the moment.
ski holidays
Cheers, it feels good to get up the mountain and do what ya can when conditions allow it!

Seen a good few pics from Mayo, Limerick and Cork. All have good coverage, just a pity it didn't move east.
latest report
Lads I know this thread is well dead but is there a group of heads that do this regularly? Would love to check it out.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not dead, just haven't got the right conditions to head out yet wink

Nice bit of snow last Sat, Sunday was the first real opportunity to get out. Was up in the hills around Blessington area this morning and the snow has already receded a lot. Needs another layer of snow before being able to venture out in it. I'm all ears if someone has been further south of the Sally Gap or in the Mournes. This weekend looks like snow making weather higher up on Sunday/Monday with the precipitation forecasted.
ski holidays
would love to check it out Shredder if you're heading up any time soon and have room in a vehicle? rear wheel drive car so I'll be lucky to get to the foot of the thing Smile
snow report
Take a look -tons of snow above Glenmalure on Sunday! https://twitter.com/cottageireland/status/686274340996919296
snow report
Where near Dublin / Wicklow can I get to the snow line without driving on a road that would be dangerous in snow condtions? Want to bring son out to play in it. Got car stuck in Chrone woods before. Can't see me driving up Sally gap, Cruagh or Hellfire in a Passat.
ski holidays
You could drive to Glenmalure via N11 exit 8 kilmacanogue to Laragh/Glendalough and on to Glenmalure at the crossroads turn right -this cul de sac will bring you to Baravore. Park here and cross bridge. Turn right and keep walking. If there's any snow you'll find it here! Stay safe!
snow report
Thanks Timmy - but thought that road up from m11 towards glendalough was dodgy enough if it's cold enough else snow?
snow report
No it should be ok - only possible tricky bit between Laragh and Glenmalure . If that's the case then you can always access Glenmalure via Rathdrum eg the open end of the valley. If you're all reasonably fit it's also possible to get a guided hike up Luqnaquilla - the most snowsure mountain in Ireland we 'd guess . Good fun and a lengthy but not arduous hike - I've been up with kids as young as seven and as long as you have proper gear and are with someone who knows what they're at its one of the best days out you can have near Dublin and if there ain't snow on Lug then there isn't anywhere else nearby!
snow conditions
I've skied in the Sperrins, Antrim Hills and on my own farm near Coleraine in 2010. Packed down the snow with tractor loader, then used loader bucket as a chair lift. Great craic, but it was a once in a lifetime snow event. Weeks of sub zero temps and about 12 inches of snow.
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/2YWE7dINYU4

Snowy Lugnaquilla - Wicklow Mountains, Ireland March 2016
ski holidays
Quote:

down the snow with tractor loader, then used loader bucket as a chair lift. Great craic,

Love it!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy