Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BOOTFITTER IN KENT??

Poster: A snowHead
Ive got a great pair of Lange boots which are beginning to give me grief across the ankles. I see and hear all this praise in the cause of bootfitters, so come to the Font for recommendations from an SH who will be able to point me in the direction of such an individual who is tried and tested a heat treating the ankle area, is accessible from Margate/Canterbury and who doesn't want to try and up-sell me a £500+ pair of new boots!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Captains cabin in Canterbury were great with both mine and boyfriends. Sorting a pair of his bought elsewhere without ripping the proverbial out of it and being very patient with me (my disability meant I stood on him and kneed him in the chest when I went into spasm during the fitting) in spite of this he sold me a pair of last seasons boots cheap and took them back to stretch my little toe area where I was cramping, no additional charge of course.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that - dont suppose you remember the name of the 'patient' guy??
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
From limited experience I have found that you are best served by waiting until you get to the resort.
I had one good experience with an outfit called 47 Degrees
The dude there moved to the alleged A1 foot outfit in the UK, but seems moved on before they convinced me to buy boots/footbed/inserts for a small fortune that were the worst purchase of my life.
Ive got very odd feet one size 8 the other 9, but took my old Rossy boots to to Val disere and a very young guy in a chain ski place at the Solaise sorted them overnight.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Thirsty, I don't remember his name, they have 2 guys there, 1 seems to do the majority of the fitting, the other the fixing. I'd google the phone number and just buzz them before your visit to check the fitter will be there for your visit.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My experience of Captains Cabin in Canterbury was not a good one on both occasions when i bought boots for my son and daughter. I would suggest asking on here for recommendations and making a day of it. Be prepared to travel to the fitter, it will be worth it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@BergenBergen, Thanks for that... in the absence of any tried and tested fitters, I think Im going to take CharlieG's advice and utilise a boot technician in the resort.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@CharlieG, IIRC 47 Degrees in Fulham is now no longer trading.
@Thirsty, Bit of a trek for you, but Edge and Wax may be able to help you, they're in Partridge Green, West Sussex.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Thirsty, I used edge and wax for my latest boot fitting. Also returned a couple of months ago for some adjustments. Good service.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BergenBergen wrote:
@Thirsty, I used edge and wax for my latest boot fitting. Also returned a couple of months ago for some adjustments. Good service.

Can I ask what you had done to your boots?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I can also recommend Edge and Wax!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Thirsty, I had a small pressure point below one of the buckles that they ground or pushed the shell out. You could always ring them for advice prior to travelling, follow the links in the post.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Edge and are no better or worse than a good resort shop. It's really simple though - just go and see CEM. It's well worth the extra drive. I've had three pairs of boots professionally fitted, and his are in a different league.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
turbosmurf Thanks for your post.

"It's really simple though - just go and see CEM."

CEM??

Did you have any stretching heat work for the ankles area?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CEM is a user on these forums and seemingly-universally-recommended boot fitter: Easier to Google as Solutions 4 Feet, although located in Bicester, Oxfordshire so a little outside Kent.
latest report
Thirsty wrote:
turbosmurf Thanks for your post.

"It's really simple though - just go and see CEM."

CEM??

Did you have any stretching heat work for the ankles area?

Yes. That's my main issue. Inside ankle bone is very prominent, so all normal boots become extremely painful quite quickly. This apparently not so easy to fit as the shell needs to be adjusted close to the hinge. One previous pair was blown out so far they exploded after a couple of seasons, another not enough not to be painful. Colin chose a perfect shell for me, and got the adjustment spot on. My boots are an unbelievably good fit. I can do the buckles in the morning and not touch them until the evening and have a tight but comfortable fit all over. He works *really* fast - I was almost a little put off, but I am completely sold. He insisted I got custom footbeds, told me not to buy custom liners yet, and to try his initial adjustment before he went further.He was right about all . Easily the best money I have spent on any ski gear.
snow report
Next set of boots I get, I'm seriously thinking of flying to the UK on a pretense of something else just to have an appointment with CEM - especially as I have family around the Milton Keynes area which is just up the road really.
snow report
I went for a fitting at Edge and Wax not so long ago and although they didn't do anything particularly wrong, I wasn't overly impressed. Yeah they measured up my feet and stuck me on the blue light thing to see what kind of arch i had, but when it came down to it, the actual fitting process was still "here's some boots, what do you think". With all the praise they get I was expecting something a little more along the lines of "your foot is this size/shape, this boot is likely to be the best fit". Is that not how a proper fitting should go? Or are my expectations way off? The guy dealing with me was professional and nice enough but it just seemed like they didn't really have the product knowledge to be able to offer any in depth advice.

Having said that, they don't charge like the other recommended fitters seem to so I can't complain too much.
snow report
I havnt had any boots fitted, but have had no problems with captains cabin (although I do know some who don't like it).. alternatively there is a relatively new shop 'the shack' in Canterbury, I haven't used their services but the guy running it seemed very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable, may be worth a call?
http://www.theshackcanterbury.com/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy