Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gastein Valley.....tell me about it.....

Poster: A snowHead
So the girlfriend and I are looking for a cheap deal in January as we already have a march trip to Mayrhofen booked up and i have found some cheap deals to Bad Gastein and Bad Hofgastein, but having never been there i would like to know a bit about the valley.

We have always skied in Austria and have previously been to the ski welt (soll) and Mayrhofen, several times!

so basically we like a decent bit of miles...150km upwards
not afraid of a split valley skiing along as the bus / train links are decent
price of a beers can't be stupid......its the main reason i haven't been to france!
we like a resort that has a bit of night life but it doesn't need to be mad...we do the apres thing and then its quiet after that haha
we are both lower advanced skiers.....happy on most blacks and playing a the side of the marked runs.
like some tree lined runs if possible

so what is the valley like????

also if anyone knows if canazei or the like fit the bill, I've seen an odd deal or two for these italian areas too.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Went to Gastein Valley last January - & loved it! Stayed in Dorfgastein (great value self catering) - a quaint sleepy village with a good-sized, varied ski area with a big vertical.

We had a hire car so it was easy to explore the whole valley. Badgastein is a bit of a sprawling un-ski resort-like ski resort - more of a big town - but a great ski area. Sportgastein is great - massive vertical but basically served by one gondola.

We also visited a couple of great other ski areas in the vicinity...I'll update this post when I remember their names!

Snow at altitude was fantastic (winter conditions) but was all man made on the valley runs after a mild Dec and Jan. That didn't detract though - the snowmaking was fantastic. It snowed to valley level on our last night and we had an epic powder morning before leaving for the airport on departure day - Dorfgastein is only about 45 mins from Salzburg airport.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not been to the Gastein valley, but yes, Canazei is a good fit for your requirements. Sella Ronda links can be accessed directly, and there's a regular bus to the rest of the Val di Fassa (10 min via Alba). Prices are fine, there are a couple of popular bars at the bottom of the run into town, but one annoyance is that the lift does not start from where this run ends but is a shortish walk or trip on the electric train thingy (or just don't ski to the valley floor till the end of the day).

The area is high so good snow, but not many lower runs on the main Belvedere area. For trees head down the valley on the bus, or ski over towards Selva (plenty in Plan de Gralba). We got a cheap deal in January a couple of years ago, and it snowed all week except the last day!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BG will be great, esp at the moment with the great snow although looks crowded, where isn't?
Lots of opportunity to do some off p which will get your co fidence up without running the risk of getting lost!
Sportgastein offers better of p but without trees higer up on low vis days can be unplesant. Better Graukogel, small, underused but when there is fresh snow to play in fantastic, wish the same could be said about the lifts there - two very slow chairs.
Beer on the mountain was normally just under €4 and around €5 in town. For apres go to the Silverbullet, live band at 5pm who play a set for @ an hour which is just long enough before rtn to your accom for shower and dinner.
Chalet Tannenburg is run by Ski Miquel, great British ski company that offers a quality product at affordable prices. If you can book last minute and are not to worried where to go there are some fab deals to be had.
Just my two penneth worth!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 for Graukogel. It looks tiny on the map and is tiny but it's also brilliant. There's an old downhill world cup run there which is great fun. I had one of my most enjoyable mornings of skiing there.
We then went on to Sportgastein and had an awful afternoon's skiing. I guess it must be lovely in good conditions with clear skies, but the first time I went only the bottom half of the gondola was open and the snow down there was slushy and horrible. The second time the visibility was awful and only the runs above the mid station were open.
Dorgastein is a lovely ski area.
The linked Bad Gastein and Bad Hofgastein area is ok and there's a lovely long red run. I think it's H1.
The thermal baths in Bad Hofgastein are well worth a visit.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@enduroaid, fits the bill for all your points I think. We went to Hofgastein last year. Plenty of skiing and the buses are good. Sportgastein is a fair way off though, but very worthwhile. Not a great deal of tree lined runs, Dorfgastein/Grossarl may be better for this. Apres in Hof was good but not a lot of it (was early Jan though, with a lack of valley snow.) Good umbrella bar next to the bottom of the Schlossalmbahn and a big new place over the road beyond the car park. Apres/nightlife in Hof was quiet I think due to time of year and snow conditions and Bad Hofgastein is a big flat spread out town. Plenty of good places it's just that alot of them are a fair walk apart. Beer was standard Austrian prices nothing scary.

Accommodation location should be your priority when booking. Hof is big but flat. The 'centre' is a ten minute walk to the main Schlossalm lift or use the ski bus if the stop is near enough. There is a hire shop nextdoor to the Shlossalmbahn with ski depot so a ten min walk was a nice warm up. Bad Gastein is seriously hilly, hairpin bend footpath hiily. From the ski bus through town you get to look down on whole hotels below you. Choose your accommodation in Bad Gastein with care.

We stayed at the Salzburgerhof in Bad Hofgastein which was refurbed that season. Nice place with good food and friendly staff. It doesn't have a separate bar if that is important and don't take a cat with you as our room wasn't big enough to swing one.

Saw the Alpenblick hotel in Bad Gastein on some cheap deals last year. It looks to be on the 'wrong' side of town. Across the valley from the main skiing, but near the Graukogel area.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Further to my earlier post re. our trip of Jan 2014:

Graukogel was closed when we were there - no snow. As snow conditions lower down weren't brilliant overall (though valley runs were open on man made), we visited a couple of other areas that weren't on the lift pass (or was there some kind of regional pass?) in search of better snow. These were:

- Katschberg/St Margarethen - A bit of a drive but a snowsure area at the top of a pass. Not massive but brilliant snow/nice long runs and great for a day.
- Moelltal Glacier - Via the Tauern Rail Tunnel (ie car loaded on the train). Superb - bluebird powder day. Excellent glacier.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skied the Gastein valley last year and going back again this year. There is plenty of skiing in the area regardless of the conditions. I thought the area was good value (although don't go expecting French Alps standard cuisine) and the skiing was challenging but fun.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I do realise that you are looking for Gastein valley and NOT France, and yes I do know that the French beer prices are (in my experience) rather higher than Austrian prices, but....

You did say you are looking for a cheap deal in January. Son is currently in La Plagne and has drawn my attention to https://www.facebook.com/Charlieandphoebe/posts/1527710707478307

£199 for a week in a catered chalet including transfers from Geneva if needed. No, I am not connected in any way to this company and nor is my son. It just looked like a good deal
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Stayed in Bad Gastein few years ago. Lovely, pretty town and very good skiing with lots of variety if you try the other valleys too. We didn't get to Sport Gastein, much to our chagrin as we were told the conditions there were excellent. I think it's the highest of the resorts?

In BG itself we found the best apres was in the Silver Bullet bar, but couldn't find much off the slopes (I was later assured it does exist).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks folks.........JohnHSmith thanks for the heads up but i'm looking at the later end of Jan......can see us in hofgastein just need to figure out the accommodation location....

would love to get to italy but i don't think the deals will come up....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
we also looking at gastein amade area but finding it difficult to decide which town village to stay in we would have car both older generation like cruising around reds couple of beers at the end of day with atmosphere and a comfortable bed and board without being 5 star any help out there
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ski for fun, a snowHead called Kersh would be the best person to advise you - he had an apartment near the Graukogel slopes in BG for a long time. Try sending him a PM.

If you have a car them maybe Dorfgastein would be a good bet as you are at the end of the valley that would allow quick access to other areas in the Amadé region if you want. Plus it links over to Grossarl in the next valley with some interesting runs. Hofgastein is the middle village and gives you immediate access to the Schloßalm-Angertal-Stubenerkogl interlinked area but that did suffer from having the lower runs not open over the Christmas week (no base). Should be better now though as it is snowing quite hard in the area (I'm a bit further along in Altenmarkt so it may be slightly different as each valley appears to have its own micro-climate).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here I am! Smile

We sold our apartment in the summer for financial reasons but i'm still a great advocate of the valley, i'll miss it a lot this winter.

@ski for fun, it really depends on what you want. Bad Gastein is more of a resort with more lively apres etc. Hofgastein is more like a traditional alpine town. I like them both equally but i'd base yourself in Bad Gastein as it's easier to get to Sportgastein and Graukogel, both of which are must visits.

The Graukogel is especially good if it dumps overnight as everyone heads straight for the larger Stubnerkogel/Schlossalm area. I went to the Graukogel a few years ago after heavy snowfall and I got about 3 runs laying fresh tracks on the piste ... still goes down as one of the best morning's skiing ever!

Please PM me if anyone has any specific questions. wink

Kersh
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ski for fun, usually do a summer research trip for our group trip in winter and we preferred Grossarl to the rest. I know its in the next valley but I'm sure you know its lift linked.
as someone else said already Bad Gastein is not really like your typical ski resort and we thought it lacked some atmosphere. could be totally wrong as it was summer when we were there and it was only a walk thru. stayed in Grossarl and it was fairly quiet but did have 2 nice bars. im sure there are more but were prob not open that time of year. another plus was the prices for beer and food were very reasonable and its actually cheaper than Bad Gastein which was another reason for our decision. Grossarl in our opinion also had the most cosy traditional type town and town centre.
we are actually booked for our group trip in march. @Kersh, any info for that side of the valley? decent restaurant or hidden bar?? like the small local traditional type bar where you can chat with the locals. finally anyone know the correct pronunciation for Grossarl? before I make a fool of myself in March.
ski holidays
It is said as you think, Gross and arl (like a a country yokel on TV pretending to be from Mummerset and saying I'll) @garc.

It is a fabulous place but not exactly on the radar for foreigners as such. I've made day trips over from St Jo from time to time, but I'm not a party animal, so Après Ski does not really interest me. It makes a big effort during the annual Ladies week in March, I believe they actually had the first-ever one before it spread across the Amadé region as a whole. The skiing is excellent and there are some really good mountain restaurants. The one road in and out of the valley is winding and narrow in places but I've never known it to be closed except in exceptional circumstances (very heavy snow or drunks having road accidents). They keep it clear, or clear it exceptionally quickly.
snow conditions
@Samerberg Sue, didn't notice or cant remember that road. wasn't going to bother with the snow chains but may rethink that now. you have given me great travel advice previously so if you don't mind can you give me your best route from munich airport. google route planner gives 3 different ways 1x motorway and 2 cross country towards Salzburg.
11 am arr flight and 11.15 dept sat-sat. 1 more Q for the local experts. is it possible to get a local lift pass? ie Grossarl and the Gastein valley. on a wider point it seems most of the resorts are now only offering the region pass which are funny money. they boast about 700- 1000km of ski slope on the 1 pass!! who the hell is going to ski 100+km per day if your only there for a week, which 90% of people are! ok, rant over
snow conditions
@garc, I'm reluctant to say don't bother for March as last year I was in the area the weekend of 22nd March and it dumped the best part of 80cm over 3 days in that neck of the woods, despite the snow drought and warm temperatures of the previous weeks. During that little storm you would not have made it without the security of chains, especially the last stretch from St Johann up over the hill past Alpendorf.

Depending on which weekend, you may get away with the straightforward A9/A99/A8/10/B311 route as the traffic does not get to be quite so bad towards the end of the season. The Easter holidays start in most areas on March 30th (the Monday is always counted as the first day, so the holiday exit will start the Friday before with a peak on the 29th).

The only local area passes you can buy these days are day, half day and hourly passes I'm afraid. A 6-day pass for the area is €234 for adults, €175 for teenagers born between 1996 and 1998, and €117 for children born between 1999 and 2008. Children born since 2008 ski for free. There are also free passes for all children born since 1999 if the parent(s) buy a 6-day adult pass from March 14th onwards. You don't need to drive by the way to get to other areas. There is a bus to and from Großarl to the Alpendorf base station as well I believe, I'm sure I've seen the buses going from there to Großarl when I've parked at the bottom car park in Alpendorf. As I'm always travelling by car, I'm not 100% sure of that though.
ski holidays
thanks to those whove replied to my earlier post , done a bit more looking and have come across flachau which to be honest ive never heard of but at first glance looks like it s worth a second look anyone know more
snow conditions
@ski for fun, you have to be kidding right? There are a whole load of us based in that area! Start with holidayloverxxx, flangesax, scarpa and kooky. I'm off to bed now as I'm off over there tomorrow morning at the crack of dawn! Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
@Samerberg Sue, yes and no ive never looked seriously in this area before as always considered it too far to drive, which it isn't now, and doesn't come up on main TO to generate interest and unfortunately had a bad experience in zell years ago so that put me off Salzburg area but I can forgive and forget hope you enjoy your day
latest report
garc wrote:
Bad Gastein is not really like your typical ski resort and we thought it lacked some atmosphere. could be totally wrong as it was summer when we were there and it was only a walk thru.

I'd agree Bad Gastein isn't your traditional ski resort town with it being predominantly perched on the side of a hill. The summer is very different to the winter, lots of the bars close outside the winter season and the town is populated by lots of elderly folk going to the spas. Very different in the winter. They keep opening new bars too, seen a few on the Facebook pages - follow Gasteinertal for more info.

I'm a big fan of Grossarl too. I regularly take the ski lift up Dorfgastein and ski the Grossarl side. Lots of lovely open pistes and loads of really good huts. I don't really have any recommendations, they were all good! You'll have a great time! snowHead

K
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy