Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crystal reps are useless

Poster: A snowHead
If it was Crystal's fault this week when there was a big dump of snow which mean people have their holiday affected, why wasn't it their fault last week when there was no snow which created different problems. Ironic really. As skiers and hence risk takers, we should know better than most that it's quite difficult to overcome the forces of the weather ...... "no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing" and all that...... and when you go on a skiing 'holiday' you are putting yourself in a potentially harsh and dangerous environment and hiccoughs occur (snapped Achilles a few years ago).

I suspect that there were risk assessments and contingency plans in place by TOs and local government offices which is why they could get emergency accommodation but looks like the situation that presented itself was bigger than anything that had been planned for. I'm not aware that anybody is seriously ill (or even died) as a result of being stuck which, frankly, must have been a concern (and perhaps even primary concern) given the conditions out there so on that basis, there should be some applause. I dare say there will be lessons learnt and changes that will make it better next time - being able to communicate seems to be the big one. Of course if we all want less hassle transfers on snowy days then we will all need to accept that ski trips become that little more expensive as more contingency will cost money.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
James the Last wrote:
Randomsabreur wrote:
We always seem to have water left to bin/down at the airport at the end of the week (don't risk resort tap water)

Eh? You're in Europe's second wealthiest country (GDP greater than UK, 2008-2012, source Wikipedia) and you think the tap water won't be drinkable in resort?

That must be the most extraordinary post on this extraordinary thread. I'm amazed you're prepared to travel abroad at all!

It will be different to what I'm used to (at the moment bottled as our landlord supplied private supply is dodgy) so slightly riskier. Having spent a large proportion of our annual holiday budget on the holiday it seems perverse not to spend a small amount on tasty mineral water rather run a small risk of spending a 6th or more of my holiday in a small room feeling miserable.

OH prefers not to risk it (brought up by paranoid parents), I accept his logic on this one. I also drink more if I like the taste which reduces the risk of dehydration.

I try not to drink bath or shower water, soap tastes nasty.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Since having worked in the ski travel industry I'm constantly amazed at what customers expect from a rep in times like this. Crystal is a budget tour operator and provides a basic but decent service. At this time of year the rep is likely to be a youngster with no real practical experience, having just got through training in mid December. And that's not unique to Crystal, seasonal working for tour operators has a huge staff turnover and every November is the start-again period. Any reps that return to do more seasons as a rep with the same TO or another one are in the minority (probably around 5-10% in my experience), so there is very little retained knowledge amongst the transfer staff.

It's a common complaint that "there was no information given", but the rep can only pass on the information they have to hand, which in scenarios like this weekend with chaos abound is extremely likely to be guesswork or just a complete lack of info from travel HQ. I've seen some comments on here suggesting that the reps blatantly lied, which I struggle to believe. I do believe that the system for getting all information to the reps on stuck coaches is limited, but its predominantly limited by the fact that generally even those organising transport rearrangements don't know the solution until very short notice, and the amount of options are very few. Besides, I found that passing on bad news as you found out about it was never well received, it's only good information that is wanted and in such situations people just want to sound off at someone even they were provided with a fully accurate but bleak picture.

The reps are always the ones that bear the brunt of the customer but its a thankless task as they are in no position whatsoever to influence anything, they can only pass on information that they actually have, and disruption in the Alps is almost unlike any other form of travel when it comes to such out of control matters as monumental snowfalls and general chaos everywhere.

I'm not suggesting that TOs do everything right, far from it. But the expectation level of the customer is sometimes at such ridiculous levels that there can be no right solution from the rep; some customers expect the rep to sort out all the problems there and then when they are simply not in any position to do that, whoever they work for.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would suggest to blame the [generally very young, inexperienced] rep on the bus as unfair, yet not unusual with big corporations.

Those at the 'sharp end' get the grief & the 'suits' keep their heads down...no surprise there then!

We have travelled with Crystal several times & on the whole they have met our expectations satisfactorly, as for 'budget operator' got to disagree having always had to go Feb 1/2 term. Last holiday with Crystal was 2010 to the Diva @ Val Claret, I think the base price was around £1200/pp & that was x 5...add lift passes, lessons, drink, lunches etc, not a cheap weeks holiday.

As for providing water/food would it make a difference if the holiday was 'off peak' hence 'Budget?'

Hindsight is a wonderful thing & any criticism should be voiced direct to the management/directors & customers should vote with their feet or skis Toofy Grin

No matter how it was dealt with some customers will never be satisfied & expect someone else to take responsability, is this an American thing? ie: if there's blame there's a claim? I do hope not.

I acknowledge though it wouldn't have been a pleasant experience for customer or rep, ultimately in the ideal world delays wouldn't occur Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
what @Dav says they are...
Quote:

Since having worked in the ski travel industry I'm constantly amazed at what customers expect from a rep in times like this. Crystal is a budget tour operator and provides a basic but decent service. At this time of year the rep is likely to be a youngster with no real practical experience, having just got through training in mid December. And that's not unique to Crystal, seasonal working for tour operators has a huge staff turnover and every November is the start-again period. Any reps that return to do more seasons as a rep with the same TO or another one are in the minority (probably around 5-10% in my experience), so there is very little retained knowledge amongst the transfer staff.

what Crystal says they are...

Quote:
At Crystal Ski Holidays we provide the very best ski holiday possible, giving customers great experiences on and off the mountain. And whilst delivering service that’s a cut above the competition. Not only that but we’re going digital, from booking to delivering great service in resort. We make sure every customer goes home happy and thinks only of Crystal when booking their next holiday. That’s why we’re the UK and Ireland’s most recommended ski company.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Shimmy Alcott, apart from the obvious sales blurb from Crystal, I don't necessarily see that comments within both those two paragraphs are mutually exclusive, if that's what you're trying to suggest?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Randomsabreur wrote:
tasty mineral water

The taste can only come from the impurities in the water.

A friend who works for the UK consumer council for water regularly comments "UK water companies would be prosecuted if they supplied tap water with impurity levels anywhere near those in mineral water".
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Randomsabreur,
Quote:

It will be different to what I'm used to (at the moment bottled as our landlord supplied private supply is dodgy) so slightly riskier.
In what way 'different'? You get ill from water infected with bacteria, not because it's a bit different from what you are used to. If you are worried about getting ill from dodgy water, then don't drink bottled water and stick to tap. The standards are higher and more frequently monitored.

Quote:

I also drink more if I like the taste which reduces the risk of dehydration.

Where in God's name did this British phobia of dehydration come from? A few hours without water is not going to do any of us any harm. It used to be that footballers sucked 1/4 of an orange at half-time. Now they rush for the water bottle every time a player takes a dive or picks his nose.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Shimmy Alcott, well, let's dissect that a bit.

Quote:

we provide the very best ski holiday possible

.... within certain parameters, ie the fact that we are a mass market operator in a business which is extremely price sensitive.

Quote:

delivering service that’s a cut above the competition

Possibly. But given that their competition is other mass-market/budget TOs, it's not saying a lot, is it?

Quote:

we’re going digital

But failing to get updates ind info to their reps and customers on a disastrous transfer day. Though this might have something to do with an overloaded mobile and data network as well.

Quote:

We make sure every customer goes home happy and thinks only of Crystal when booking their next holiday

That one's just a flagrant lie.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dav, you say they are budget and basic operator - they seem to sell themselves differently to the consumer, so are they misleading their customers? I certainly have a very low opinion of them as a Company, though am rather indifferent about the reps. themselves.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Crystal are incompetent.

Two years ago they sent a 34-seater coach (or thereabouts) to pick up our group returning from a resort in Italy. We had a group of ~30. However the coach already had 10 passengers on it. And even after they were ejected (they were booked on a later flight) there was not enough luggage space for our group - as being a club, the vast majority of people had (and had booked) their own ski carriage. Did we just strike lucky that on the way out they did send a full-sized coach?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Lizzard, and another gem...

Quote:
With over 30 years' expertise the Crystal in-resort team has more local knowledge than you can shake a ski pole at. Whether your rep is based in your resort, just a call away or in a resort close by, you'll have expert, 24/7 service - if you have any problems then there's always someone on hand to help out with any situation

disregarding this one very difficult transfer weekend that is still a total load of bull
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
@Dav, you say they are budget and basic operator - they seem to sell themselves differently to the consumer, so are they misleading their customers? I certainly have a very low opinion of them as a Company, though am rather indifferent about the reps. themselves.

As I said it was a sales blurb, but there's at least some half truths in there, as Lizzard has pointed out. They're the most popular TO in the country by a long way and one of the main ways they've achieved that is providing a decent level of service at a very competitive price. Apart from Ryanair and some select others, I don't think you'll get too many companies openly saying they provide the bargain basement element of the spectrum. But that's what Crystal do, as well as their other options which to be fair are more mid-range.

I'll openly admit I've worked for Crystal a few years back (during a break from "proper" work in my mid-30s, so quite eye opening to see such an industry close up). All I'll say is that they're far from perfect but I still travel with them (I'm off to Italy with them in February) as I recognise that they're a good option at a very low price compared to competitors, and the range of options available for travel and discounts appeal to me.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Shimmy Alcott, all the marketing b0llocks on everybody's website is a load of old rubbish. You're not supposed even to read it, let alone actually believe any of it, as any fule no. Really, how old are you? Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm not going to defend Crystal, their a big company and can do that themselves, but does anyone really think having a nasty go at a young 19 to mid twenty year old Rep really going to help? As a person who knows what it's like dealing with difficult customers in my own job, I would only seriously complain if their is a serious problem that can be rectified to a reasonable expectation.

Maybe I'm just soft but that's the way I think. Confused
ski holidays
Quote:

all the marketing b0llocks on everybody's website is a load of old rubbish. You're not supposed even to read it, let alone actually believe any of it

ah, well, thats ok then.
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@Randomsabreur,
Quote:

It will be different to what I'm used to (at the moment bottled as our landlord supplied private supply is dodgy) so slightly riskier.
In what way 'different'? You get ill from water infected with bacteria, not because it's a bit different from what you are used to. If you are worried about getting ill from dodgy water, then don't drink bottled water and stick to tap. The standards are higher and more frequently monitored.

Quote:

I also drink more if I like the taste which reduces the risk of dehydration.

Where in God's name did this British phobia of dehydration come from? A few hours without water is not going to do any of us any harm. It used to be that footballers sucked 1/4 of an orange at half-time. Now they rush for the water bottle every time a player takes a dive or picks his nose.

Sports science related phobia of dehydration, sorry. If I make a garbage decision fencing or playing tennis, I lose, consequences are larger skiing. As debilitating as being drunk in some situations.

Private supply tastes foul boiled, bit odd not, so easier to avoid drinking it. Chlorine or something.
ski holidays
I think, as is quite usual, that loads of SH with tonnes of experience in resorts either as punters or as resort workers tend to forget that a great deal of people going on ski holidays are not as clued up as some people on here. That is why we get people on here asking where they get their ski pass from and should they get lessons or not etc etc Experience may tell many of you to pack extra water and snacks in case of long delays but people without experience may not know this, they probably rightfully think that their TO donkeys years of experience and one of the best in the business will take care of them - after all they are the ones that organise the journeys week after week year after year.

This isnt the fault of the reps. Its the fault of the TO. They cant solve the traffic chaos at the click of a finger but they should, with all their supposed knowledge and experience, be able to provide water and snacks if people are stuck on buses due to traffic chaos as a result of PREDICTED heavy snowfall.
ski holidays
Crystal are right in there with half a dozen other companies which offer identical products in a similar price range. However, Crystal appear to attract more flack than the others.

Let's face it, it can all go 't!ts' for any company for any reason. It's how the company manages the situation which makes the difference. Leaving a bunch of fresh out of 'training' teenagers to muddle through isn't managing.

We had a broken plane issue at INNS years ago, when travelling with Total. A 'suit' was 'parachuted' in swiftly, we were bused off to Munich, booked into the Kempinski with food/drink laid on at 2am. That's crisis management from a 'budget' company.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 29-12-14 19:41; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Insiders wrote:
maybe they should create an app.... people have become so fused to their Apps to tell them when it's ok to scratch their backsides i'm sure if they had an app it would make most people feel more connected to the world they live in, oddly.

But they do already have an app rolling eyes

http://www.crystalski.co.uk/about-crystal/ski-explorer-app/?cid=ppcgoosea309crybro_ski_explorer_app&kw={ski_explorer_app}&src=gseaB&ef_id=VHdQPwAABFquBT5K:20141229183223:s
latest report
An app to do what exactly?

As I intimated in another thread a few weeks back, I wouldn't board a dog with Crystal, (quite a few Crystal fans leaped to their defence and I was roundly criticized. Where are they now?) but I'm not sure there was much they could have done. What information did people want? It must be like having kids in a car asking "are we there yet?" every twenty seconds. As for food and drink, they might win customer loyalty by providing some in instances such as this, but I certainly wouldn't expect it from a budget TO.
latest report
@Shimmy Alcott, I agree. If it's a DIY trip you plan. You check the weather, traffic, change plans, divert, buy stuff etc. If a TO says it's a 2 hour trip to the airport you believe them. And if they pick you up at your chalet/hotel at 5/6 o'clock in the morning without telling you that chaos is outside you trust them. You have no chance of buying your own drinks/snacks at this stage, anyway.

(Nothing against Crystal reps, btw. They're just kids who do as they're told.)
latest report
@maggi, you don't have much option at 5am to stock up either. You're lucky to have any bread for breakfast let alone anywhere open to find any. ON the occasion we were severely delayed we were meant to be served breakfast and just say managed to find a cup of tea and a glass of juice.
ski holidays
@maggi, if you are getting picked up at 5am then the hotel, in my experience, will provide a packed breakfast. Usually a filled roll, piece of fruit, a drink, and maybe a slice of cake.
snow conditions
@dode, like I said just above, we didn't, the breakfast room was actually locked and reception closed. Many of the chalets were lucky to have bread at that time of the morning.
ski holidays
msej449 wrote:
With us, there was no bottled water on the coach and no emergency food for the young kids.

Erm, they are your kids - isn't feeding them your responsibility Puzzled

We delayed our trip home because of the conditions & I think it is unfair to castigate Crystal over this. Extreme weather happens, & if you have kids, then bring food drink & warm clothing with you when you travel to the mountains.
latest report
@genepi, +1

I cant imagine going 5 minutes down the road without food or drink for our little one, its the only thing to keep him quiet Happy
snow conditions
I'd agree Crystal sit in the "budget“ category. The tag applies to where they sit in relation to other operators. Yes, their prices go up for peak weeks, but so do all prices. They still remain at the more cost effective end of the market.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@genepi, +2.

As I said yesterday, I think rule 5 applies.
snow conditions
Several phone networks were down, the APPR radio station that gives traffic news, worked only intermittantly, loads of cars on summer tyres broke down, badly fitted chains broke ...... the snowploughs often couldn't get though the traffic to deal with the snow. Outside our place in Plan Peisey, the snow was falling faster than they could clear it - there were 2 ploughs up there. Seems unfair to blame anybody for the weather, I think.
snow report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
They still remain at the more cost effective end of the market.

What's that?? Confused
snow report
And the people arriving will enjoy the most fantastic conditions so far of the season, so please stop whinging.
snow conditions
@genepi, and I arrive in 5 days time Toofy Grin yipee!!
latest report
@PaulC1984, snowHead Enjoy Toofy Grin
snow report
@genepi, I intend to Happy
latest report
Quote:

We delayed our trip home because of the conditions

right. So you saw the conditions were pretty horrific and had the luxury of being able to delay your trip home. This is not an option for many. They have to go when they are told. Ive had many an early morning start and Ive never been offered a breakfast picnic bag. Finally I dont see many people "whinging" on here - just people having a conversation and giving their opinion, just like you have.
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:
They still remain at the more cost effective end of the market.

What's that?? Confused

Comparatively cheap, no frills, but generally an acceptable level of service.
snow report
My last trip with Crystal was booked by a pal a few years ago to Canazei. It was NY week and far from 'budget'. The chalet was a bit off the beaten, comfortable other than, the garage that they'd loosely converted into a dining room. Confused

The portion sizes at breakfast were a complete joke. My pal took the cooked option every day, which would be a spoonful of scrambled eggs or six mushrooms etc. By day six, my pal was again asked at breakfast time if he'd like the cooked option. He replied 'Right, I've had ALL the samples which were fine, can I now have the whole bl**dy breakfast?!!' The chalet lad looked blankly at him, the table full of guests fell about. Very Happy
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Quote:

We delayed our trip home because of the conditions

right. So you saw the conditions were pretty horrific and had the luxury of being able to delay your trip home. This is not an option for many. They have to go when they are told. Ive had many an early morning start and Ive never been offered a breakfast picnic bag. Finally I dont see many people "whinging" on here - just people having a conversation and giving their opinion, just like you have.

I thought the OP was whinging - what does the thread title imply to you? Of course they had no option but to travel when the coach leaves, but surely they could have taken a few supplies to keep their kids warm & happy. Don't think I've heard any mention of a 'breakfast picnic bag'.
latest report
genepi wrote:
Several phone networks were down, the APPR radio station that gives traffic news, worked only intermittantly
And even the Savoie Traffic info website went down. Difficult to blame the reps for lack of access to information in the circumstances.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy