Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do clients find male or female, younger or older instructors to be the best at communicating?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been a sports coach myself (fencing) and have learnt from some rather elderly male professors/coaches. They have been fantastic and patient with us more inexperienced folk. With regards to skiing, I have had three instructors so far - all ladies, one Canadian early 20's, one French early 30's, and one English late 30's (hinting for free tips easiski hehehe ).

All have been very good at not only getting their intructions and tips across but at motivating me to want to ski more. Speaking to other people I have received the impression that women tend to fulfill the sexual stereotype of being more centred around communicating ideas. So - should we avoid male instructors until they have matured somewhat? Discuss in a lighthearted or argumentative fashion.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have had both extremes. Elderley (late 50s) Austrian lady in Kitzbuhel, and a young french buck called Raphael in Courchevel 1850.

Both were faultless.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

Elderley (late 50s)

hold on there young man. No way can anyone in their 50's be described as "elderly" Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman, That's almost as insulting as being called "middle aged" at over 40!! BTW, since Alan & I are both instructors and since we'll all be at the EOSB ...................................... NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh
Scarpa, you old flatterer you.... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alan Craggs, easiski, No offence intended. I was just pointing out that I would have considered 50s to be at the elder end of the instucting spectrum.

If you are both coming to The EOSB, then I shall expect a suitable good kicking (reminds me of a Monty Python sketch; Hells Grannies wink )
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

If you are both coming to The EOSB, then I shall expect a suitable good kicking (reminds me of a Monty Python sketch; Hells Grannies

Do you want them both to wear stilletos wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowbunny, Well..........now that you mention it wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman, Well I know instructors still working (not full time of course) in their 70s and 80s. Why shouldn't they? My greatest ambition is to drop dead in the middle to a ski class, but I'm assuming I'll be over 65 at the time!!!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, tut tut . . . surely a naked fat lass in a headscarf and wellies is the Yorkshireman's damp nightmare?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was once overtaken at the beginning of an easy 600 foot icefall/frozen mountian stream by an elderly ice climber soloing the route - he explained that he was testing out his new replacement hip (operation took place a few months earlier). There is another mate from my club who sometimes climbs at the indoor wall - he's pushing 80 and now that he has a new knee he can lift his leg higher. As you get older just keep replacing the parts that fail Laughing

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 20-12-05 0:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, if I drive out then I'll pack my stilletos, if flying may be pushed for baggage wink

We have a guy teaching who is 82 or more - he's a bit stiff cos of the leg braces that he wears (well that's his excuse anyway) but is still enthusiatic.

I remember skiing in the Gers bowl at Flaine about 10? years ago - we'd just watched an old geezer who looked about 150 wafting down the 40-45 deg slope behind us, then our instructor went up to him and much French hand shaking and allezvousing went on. When the instructor returned he said that the guy was Emile Allais, just out for his daily constitutional Cool
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't think age or gender matter too much - if you can communicate, you can communicate. However I would normally be happier with an instructor who's reached the big 30 (generalisation) because I think the general life experience adds a certain something to the teaching and communication and they have a better chance of making various analogies that will hit home with the student. If you've never done anything other than ski in your life, how can you compare it with anything?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alan Craggs, WOW - did you get his autograph. I hope you bowed suitably low - what a treat to actually see him ski. Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarpa, it depends how you learn.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat, Very true. Different people have different needs.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy