Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Tignes Le Lavachet - any help/guidance appreciated

Poster: A snowHead
We are taking Eurotunnel rather than flying this time and staying in Tignes Le Lavachet (Lavachet Lodge) February half term.
We are on the midnight train on Friday 13th and then going to drive through and return the following Sunday - but leaving resort on Saturday
Any help regarding route/trip/car park/equipment etc very much appreciated - probably going to hire a car for the trip
Also any ideas for hotel on the Saturday night for return journey around half way or just over back to Eurotunnel
Sorry so many questions but new to this
Many thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Keep going Sat AM. Try and get to Bourg before 11 - even then you might be queuing. Make sure you have chains and know how to fit them. You will need a head torch and big plastic bag to make putting them on easier. Pre book parking it will be full that week via Tignes.net. Book the Lavachet indoor park if you can its across the road from your pad.

I use the BB hotel at Troyes, its 2km off the AutoRoute has a nice Italian next to it and a very cheap petrol station across the road and it has auto check in if you are late. Plan on leaving resort after 3pm of before 6am.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think the latest 'snowmageddon' in the alps reinforces the need for winter tyres. Just been reading the prefect of Savoie, Eric Jalon's assessment of the issues in the Dauphine libere. First of course was the snow on the busiest changeover day of the year. Then some freezing rain made matters worse. Then HGVs, which were forbidden at the time as well conspired to make a problem.

But then the real perfect storm happened when a large percentage of these thousands of cars were ill equipped for the conditions. Lack of winter tyres, blocking roads by changing into snow chains too early, blocking roads by changing into snow chains too, or not having them at all. Apparently, many hundreds of cars were turned around at the chambery peages as they didn't have snow chains.

It's unlikely that there will be heavy snow on the february half term changeover day. Purely because it doesn't snow heavily that many days over winter. But it is perfectly possible. I wouldn't drive to the alps without winter tyres. I also have snow socks and chains (but have only used them once).

Yesterday, really does show that going to the alps in winter without winter tyres is irresponsible.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Make sure all the car's fluids are good for -20C.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've done the drive three times from Leeds to the Chamonix area in one go. Just check your sat nav route before you go to ensure its avoiding the Town Centres. Like everyone else has said have your snow chains to hand. Also don't forget your high visibilty jacket, spare bulbs etc. To be honest I don't mind the drive, clear roads and good scenery. Enjoy!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

It's unlikely that there will be heavy snow on the february half term changeover day

Now there's a forecast!! The overall probability of a heavy snowfall on one day is low but it is just as likely to happen in any of the months between Dec and Mar in Tignes. Remember the storm of March 06 anyone - yesterdays was a mere flurry by comparison (1.5 m in less than 36 hrs)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks very much - great help so far
Noted just drive straight through to resort and not book a hotel for Friday night
Found car park to book and so will get onto that once have reg number for hire car - will book that with winter tyres and hire snow chains etc with the package
Found info on hotel for way back as recommended - certainly looks like it will be good for what we need it for
Will start having a good look at route and plan that now
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For route planning try http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Routes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks again any suggestions about car hire with winter tyre/snow package etc in UK we are in hampshire
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
Found car park to book and so will get onto that
If you want to save €75 there are two free car parks in Tignes - one at Les Brevieres and one at Tignes 1800 (which was formerly Les Boisses). Both are adjacent to the slopes for easy ski in/out - although last season at least there was no lift ticket office at Tignes 1800. Even if for timing/logistics purposes you pay to park at each end of your holiday, you can still save a bit by using the free car parks. Most of the Tignes car parks (if not all?) allow 2 hours free parking, which is handy for dropping off/picking up luggage.

Les Brevieres free car park is a lot bigger than the 1800 one - so more chance of getting in there at half term. Take a shovel in case you need to dig the car out - worth doing that the day before you leave - can take longer than you think.

Quote:
any suggestions about car hire with winter tyre/snow package etc in UK
Do UK car hire companies generally let you take the car abroad no problem? Auto Europe (online) generally include winter tyres in Alpine rentals at least - so they might be worth a try.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict wrote:
Do UK car hire companies generally let you take the car abroad no problem? Auto Europe (online) generally include winter tyres in Alpine rentals at least - so they might be worth a try.

i did it once (during summer months). Can't remember exactly which company but I think it was Europcar from Heathrow. You need to have a permission from them which will obviously cost extra. I paid something around 40-50 quid for 48 hours. I'd be surprised if they fitted winter tyres and have any chains in stock.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ok thanks for all that will ring around and check some companies. If not will look into snow chains for our t5 van and take that
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@SharleyG, the roof box company will give excellent advice on suitable snow chains.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for your help - roofbox company great to deal with so sorted snowsocks
Just checking is this the hotel recommended for a stop on the way back - or any other suggestions on our route

thttp://www.hotel-bb.com/en/hotels/troyes-st-parres.htmhe
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@SharleyG, I would recommend that you pre book car parking. I was in Val Claret over New Year and the car parks there were all full. However we were issued parking tickets for IIRC 5 euro a day so we could park on the streets. Even then there were not a lot of free spaces.
latest report
Quote:

Noted just drive straight through to resort and not book a hotel for Friday night

Always a matter for debate and IME whatever suits you. There is no way we could do this as we are not night owls, on the occasions when I have had to stay up all night the next few days I have been a zombie. Personally I'd rather have a nights sleep

BUT - appreciate for some people it is the preferred option.

As for hotel on way back, we often use the Val Moret near Troyes - we've had no problems with it, but others don't rate it.
snow conditions
@SharleyG, leaving the resort after a full day's skiing on the quiet changeover Saturday is an excellent idea. I personally would stop before the Val Moret if not leaving till around 5 - 6 pm. Dijon, maybe.

On the way down, if you're not crossing till midnight you won't be on the road from Calais till around 2 am. Even a fairly straight drive through (assuming a good clear night dry roads etc and a sensible number of stops for coffee for driver etc, will see you hit heavy traffic before you get to the Tarentaise. And if the road is wet (speed limit 69 mph) or it's foggy, it won't be very fast journey. No chance of getting away a bit earlier?

However well laid your plans the tunnel often seems to get choked up on the Friday night of half term. So don't make firm plans, have supplies in the car and a stock of good listening material, and go with the flow. Be prepared to stop.

If it's very nasty on the road I'd stop for the night and aim to arrive resort after 5 pm on the Saturday.
snow conditions
Oh course the good thing about self drive is that with the exception of crossing the channel you are in charge. Get too tired driving - stop in an aire for a hour or two of sleep. Conditions too bad or the autoroute closed due to an accident - stop, or even go somewhere different, feeling hungry - then get a meal, but remember that the service station restaurants will be closed from about 21:00 in the evening, fed up with "in our time" - then put "more or less" on (I have downloaded "War and Peace" for my next trip)
ski holidays
Quote:

I have downloaded "War and Peace" for my next trip

Laughing that should do it!

I agree about the pleasures of being flexible. I don't book hotels because I never know when - or whether - I'm going to want to stop. But then i don't travel at half term, when it's particularly important to book on the Friday night, if you want to stopover fairly near the resorts.
snow report
Thanks for all this. Can't get away earlier unfortunately as limited on tunnel booking. Will pack up the van with lots of supplies and just see how we go. Just trying to work out best app to use for nav as don't have a sat nav have read Co pilot is good as offline anyone else used it or other suggestions?
latest report
@SharleyG, I used copilot for getting around the Dolomites and across Switzerland this summer. It was excellent and well worth the price
snow report
Great thanks for that will get Co pilot for the trip then
snow conditions
@SharleyG, There is no need to go over any closed passes to get to Tignes. If your sat nav says go via Petit Saint Bernard ignore it.

Have you booked parking yet? I might be able to help.
latest report
Ok will take note of that Re: Car park - nothing booked I've been advised to go to Les Boisses and then catch the bus back
ski holidays
@SharleyG, it's an extremely simple journey. Look up on Google and make a few notes. Or buy a cheap map!
snow report
Follow the signs for the A26 and Arras, then Reims, then Lyon, then Lyon Airport, then Chambery, then Albertville, then Moutiers, then Bourg St Maurice, then Tignes, As Pam says easy!
Be prepared for all the free parking to be full, if its a diesel you could be playing the lottery game if we have very cold temps.
snow report
@chocksaway, It was -14 at New year week and the car started first turn of the key - but took ages to warm up. I have never had problems even to below -20.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy