Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Predicted heavy snow

Poster: A snowHead
Start that again…..Travelling down to Les Arcs on Saturday/Sunday in BMW X5 with big plc profile tyres and wonder how the car should cope if we hit this heavy snow fall that's being predicted Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You do not need lots of snow - small amount is enough to make 4x4 useless with summer tyres.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Be sure not to drive fast round any downhill bends. On a snowy transfer day the police sometimes require 4x4vehicles without good snow tyres to use chains.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They never stop us to check what sort of tyres we have on our 4x4 just wave us on while checking other vehicles. Not an X5 though, an X-Trail.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It all depends. Reports on Snowheads last year of 4wd vehicles on summer tyres or balding snow tyres being stopped. Tends only to happen when heavy snow and busy transfer days coincide. I have to drive through albertville to courchevel and back on Saturday so don't want any holdups!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Once I've seen the local police stopping 4x4s to see if they had winter tyres fitted. It was two years ago a couple of Saturdays before Christmas and the driving conditions were extremely bad because of the amount of snow that was coming down. The police were checking in Bourg St Maurice for cars heading to Les Arcs and further up the Tarentaise to Val d'Isere, etc. All cars were required to put chains on, with the exception of 4x4s with winter tyres.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have an X5 too, absolutely useless in snow with wide summer tyres on. Different beast with winters on. Winter tyres are your solution or chains, best is to have both, I wouldn't do the drive without. I will be doing the drive too on Fri / Sat, though to Avoriaz. Have a good one!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, I suspect the Gendarmes only motivate themselves when there are sufficient ill equipped vehicles to hamper the orderly !? Progress of transfers.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Always bring chains - your never know about the weather in the mountains. Even the best 4WD with best winter tyres can not compete chains. And chains cost nothing!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jun wrote:
I will be doing the drive too on Fri / Sat, though to Avoriaz. Have a good one!

Hope you have at least a half decent week. The snow at the weekend just might make it bearable for you 'cos it's really needed. Anyway, have a safe journey and just make the most of whatever the conditions are like
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Friends had an X5 they bought winter tyres for it very quickly! If I was you I would get some winters fitted Saturday morning, your BMW dealer may stock them.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Hyst, my (4x4) car either,

A. Can't handle chains
B. Can only handle chains on the front wheels
C. Can only handle chains on the rear wheels

Depending on the translation of the manual rolling eyes

We've always had snow tyres, spend much of our time above chain levels and haven't had a problem in 8 winters.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You could always go for something besides chains or snow tyres...

http://www.flextrax.com/

But better safe than sorry. Don't risk going into the mtns with just summer tyres.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Never been stopped in my 4x4 with summer mud tyres, never had traction issues but carry chains that I have used twice in 7 years.for self preservation to cross sheet ice.
Easy to fit, manual dictates chains on front stearing axle.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dsoutar wrote:
Jun wrote:
I will be doing the drive too on Fri / Sat, though to Avoriaz. Have a good one!

Hope you have at least a half decent week. The snow at the weekend just might make it bearable for you 'cos it's really needed. Anyway, have a safe journey and just make the most of whatever the conditions are like

Cheers. Luckily out there for over two weeks so hopefully the snow and the cold will have time to work their magic! Always do a number of days at other areas, hence driving down - this year planning on day trips to Chamonix, Les Arcs (now Tignes) and Les Houches for Anglo / Scottish and BARSC races if they go ahead, maybe a bit a bit of Pras de Lys and Grand Massif thrown in too if the weather allows. Really hoping the links open at Avoriaz, as a short ski to Linga translates into an inordinately long drive!!
snow report
Decent winter tyres are worth their weight in gold. Use them in the UK when it does snow and have put many a 4x4 to shame in my Seat Ibiza Very Happy
ski holidays
@under a new name, i can't fit chains on my audi have been using snowsocks the last few years and they've been fine.
ski holidays
any car can handle chains - just a matter of choosing the wheels/tyres.
latest report
Jun wrote:
Les Arcs (now Tignes) and Les Houches for Anglo / Scottish and BARSC races if they go ahead

Hi Jun, do we know you? I'm in a black Saab 9-3 estate with a personalised reg and thule roofbox. See you in Tignes (where you staying? - we are in BSM) or Les Houches.
ski holidays
@RobW, Just there for day trips to support friends who are racing - staying (and mainly skiing) in PDS. Will pick days based on whether the skiing is good on those days in PDS. Will keep an eye out. Smile

@francium., OH has an Audi wide low profiles and was told that by the dealer but Thule K-Summit chains work fine. Winter tyres are the dogs nads though for most situations outside of the extremes, we run both cars on them from Oct to April (UK and Alps trips).
snow conditions
Two weeks ago after skiing in the Pennines, a chap managed to slide his brand new merc 4x4 off the B6277 on his way home. Silly low profile tyres and undoubtedly driving too fast. Hardly any snow on the carriage way either. He was very unlucky to hit a man hole cover, and take the bottom of his car off.

Looked like a write off Sad
latest report
I keep 215/55 R17 tyres on my Forester but go for Nokian A3s in the high load, high speed rating. Last 2- 3 years all year round driving, they can squeal a bit if you rag it round summer corners though. Winter tyres are a must really if you want to avoid snow chains.
snow report
@Hyst, I'm not complaining, in 7 alpine winters it's never been a problem, although Geneva to Zurich in a meter of fresh was tedious...
snow conditions
This thread tells me why I wouldn't drive my Ford Fiesta to the Alps.

That and the fact that I'd be on my own and I've never driven outside of the UK! rolling eyes
snow report
@Scarpa, you reckon on Nokians? I know "good enough for Finns" and all that... I think our (crappy) Bridgestones are on their last season and I am looking forward to something a little more effective next winter... Shocked
snow report
Regardless of tyres and chains: Being four wheel drive only helps when you are pressing the accelerator. When pressing the brake, 4wd is no assistance.
snow conditions
Does anyone know what depth of tread on winter tyres renders them no good? I have 4mm all round, should I change them, before going to 3vs assuming that it snows of course.
ski holidays
@DavidYacht, as with all tyres there isn't a certain mm of tread which then means they are useless. Tyres come with 8mm of tread from the factory, and as the legal limit (in the UK not sure about France, could be 2mm?) then your tyres will be fine for another winter trip.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ringingmaster wrote:
Regardless of tyres and chains: Being four wheel drive only helps when you are pressing the accelerator. When pressing the brake, 4wd is no assistance.

Isn't that why ABS ASP stability controls etc etc are fitted?
ski holidays
@DavidYacht, yes, you should change yours definetly. Especialy if you have driven on yours in summer and if they are 5 years or older. Winter tyres are made from a softer rubber compound, they get harder with time and only 4 mm of thread left might be ok for the UK winter, but if head to an alpine region they are not very effective most probably. If you do not change them, drive carefully.
latest report
Most winter tyres have two tread depth indicators (or at least mine all have had) - one at 4mm which is the recommended minimum for snow use and one at 2mm which is the usual "change me" warning.

I reckon @DavidYacht's are about ready for a summer left on the car. I'd probably leave them on for a trip out to the alps and then change them when worn down to 2mm
ski holidays
Regardless of whether the French cops would stop me or not I'm not sure I'd feel very comfortable driving a heavy 4wd like a Discovery down a snowy mountain road without chains. We've got quite decent AT Grabbers on our Disco but they really aren't the same as winter tyres or chains.

As a general point to some of the comments above, winter tyres are not just for snow they perform so much better than normal tyres in anything below about 7 degrees.
snow report
Anyone who drives to the Alps in winter without winter/ snow tyres (irrespective of whether they are law, ie France vs Germany, Austria or CH-land) is asking for trouble IMO. 2WD with snow tyres and chains is all you need unless you are going seriously up 30-40 degree tracks in resort. X5 wide summer tyres, Bambi in the making!!
snow report
@foxtrotzulu, I've never felt the need to put them on our X-Trails, I've crossed the Col du Lauteret in heavy snow and the car was fine. We have a new car this winter, and will let the standard tyres do this season, they are all-season ones, but no snowflake symbol, so will probably change next winter.
latest report
Will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow (Saturday) as there's going to be a lot of traffic on the move.

Down here in the South we have the Col du Lautaret 2,057m which is the most direct route for those travelling back from the resorts down here back to Lyon, Paris etc. Although just as many come up from the likes of Marseilles / Toulon etc

I've actually recommended to friends going back tomorrow to go back via Montgenevre and Frejus tunnel which should be much faster as you'll not be picking up all the Deux Alpes / ADH traffic and have the bottleneck at Vizille.

They'll try and keep the Col open for as long as possible but even if you have the best 4x4 with snow tyres and are used to driving in the snow it's the guys without snow tyres and those having to use chains etc for the first time that they take into account when closing the Col along with how much daylight there is left and how windy it is, and once they decide to close the Col you're in for a big detour as I found out last year Evil or Very Mad

I'm going over the Col at 08:30 to drop my daughter off at the dam at the bottom of Deux Alpes and then hopefully will get back over the Col, if not I'll just have to ski La Grave and spend the night there Cool

Have a webcam set up in our garden so you'll be able to see how much snow is creeping up the bird table during the day Toofy Grin
snow report
@Weathercam, I just saw someone wandering around on your webcam Smile
ski holidays
Yeah, and they need a haircut wink
ski holidays
@Mosha Marc, Laughing
ski holidays
RichardB wrote:
This thread tells me why I wouldn't drive my Ford Fiesta to the Alps.

That and the fact that I'd be on my own and I've never driven outside of the UK! rolling eyes
I would rather drive a Ford Fiesta down to the Alps than a X5 with Carlos Fandango wheels fitted.
snow report
@BergenBergen, agreed. A Fiesta would be fine.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy