Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Analysis of alpine and pintech binding release

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There's a facinating article over on Wildsnow that will take some digesting:

https://www.wildsnow.com/15123/tech-binding-release-testing-acl-broken-leg/

I suspect it's going to be well worth the effort!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very interesting stuff. Well done to they author for the study.

One thing I always do, not just between individual bindings but especially if moving them to another ski., is to drop the DIN settings a couple of points and test them, you can always adjust upwards if you get pre-releases, but different weights and stiffness profiles of skis definitely seem to affect the point at which they pre-release in my limited experience.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whoooaaa that's a heavy piece of research there.........

As someone who has done their ACL whilst using Dynafit Tech bindings a few years back I do question in the back of my mind was it the binding or just sods law.

In fact I'm now testing some second generation Vipec's and way too early to comment just yet - that said, when skiing with tech bindings I do ski well within my limits, and I do feel slightly more confident at the prospect of using the Vipec as opposed to my Radicals and TLt's.

I'm actually doing an article on the new breed of tech bindings and have asked this question, along with a few others to the man that invented the Dynafit tech binding.......

Finally and you might find this one hard to swallow Smile

If you had to, what non Dynafit tech binding would you be happy to use etc
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The article actual says that tech bindings are less likely to hurt the ACL at the expense of the tibia whilst alpine bindings do the opposite so the chances are if you did your ACL using a tech binding you'd have done it in an alpine binding as well. As per the bottom of the article I'm far more concerned about pre-release when skiing on tech bindings although not so much whilst skiing on the Beasts.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Weathercam, but it appears that 'traditional ' tech bindings where lateral release is based on pivoting of the heel piece are less likely to cause ACL injury, albeit increasing chances of spiral fracture of the tibia (I take some comfort from this as I too have had acl reconstruction and now as my skiing aspirations have changed I exclusively use tech bindings). Although it seems counterintuitive the vipec may be more likely then your radicals to cause acl re-injury. Only bringing it up as last year I very nearly replaced my then one year old ft radicals with vipecs as I was concerned about my acl.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@meh, beat me to it by 7 min Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Weathercam, dynafit have introduced some new features to their toe pieces giving the binding some elasticity so hopefully the chances of pre-release that are discussed on Lou's website will have decreased.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@altis, Thanks for posting. Interesting results.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The comments are worth a read as well, some interesting observations.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I must admit to scanning that article and did not read it thoroughly as most of you have done....

Lke I said, when skiing with tech bindings I always ski within my limits, but it is difficult as more likely than not when skiing with them the chances are that you will encounter every type of snow pack on a descent and it's being able to adapt to the different snow pack and react that is one way of protecting yourself.

Going up the back of me shortly and no doubt the above will be true but no chance of any cold snow, so waiting for it to warm up.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Typically you want to ski within your limits when touring regardless of perceived binding reliability as help is that much further away. Granted that's more or less true depending on where you are given the Alps has such extensive lift infrastructure.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@meh, and if you're on your own like I do a fair bit, then a little extra caution, but not that much............

As you can see my strategy of going up way later paid off and found some nice snow, reckon an hour later (13:00) and would have had even more options.

Did cane it going up though, HR was through the feckin roof but I do have the mountain cough / cold / flu at the moment.

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looks lovely.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice turns.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
They've made a video of the testing:

http://youtube.com/v/m2wEy25S3ik
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy