Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Seeking recommendations for eateries around la tania

Poster: A snowHead
A friend is taking his young family for their first ski holiday to a self catering appt in la tania. As the kids are beginners and he is off his board due to a recent hip replacement, their access to other areas will be limited.
Has anyone any recommendations for reasonably priced, family friendly eateries that they could enjoy for lunch or the occasional evening meal within easy access of la Tania.
Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For lunch, courcheneige in 1850 is always a favourite of ours. Reasonable value (for 1850) and good quality.

If they are eating out in the evenings in 17:13:03 i hope they like cheese!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @ansta1, 17:13:03 ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Damn autoreplace on the BlackBerry replace "LT" with latest time from phone. "LT"=la tania now.

Goes off to add other autocorrect

"Stanton"=troll
"DG"= no helmets propoganda please
"Noz"= weather guru
"Admin"= he who didn't make sure i won a prize in the tombola.

Any others i should set up?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
'Snow Food', great pizza to take back.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ansta1, Laughing and thanks also @anarchicsaltire,
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bouc Blanc always a good spot above La T. Just across from the top of the gondola. I love their Beaufort cheese tart and salad. It's also good place to have an end of day drink before heading back down. La Taiga in the village is nice in the evening, though serves quite posh nosh so is a bit more pricy.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agree with @Perty, Bouc Blanc is lovely, especially on a sunny day.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Perty, @Maireadoconnor, sounds a great recommendation thanks. I know he's keen for the wife and kids to enjoy the holiday in the hope of them developing a taste for more. They will, however be on something of a budget so I suspect the posh nosh is less of an option.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@nickH, for pub food go to le pub ski

we self cater and use the deli in the village run by an Australian. Each night they will have a different dish. You get it in take out foil cartons. They also do pizza and you can hire their fondue set. they also do roast chicken dinner. We normally book our food with them earlier in the day then collect at six.

www.latania.co.uk has all the links and details.

The supermarket is small but normally has everything you need. Just watchout as it has a habit of selling out of fresh milk
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh that's right, @chrisb, the deli/traiteur is excellent. Perfect for self-catering. I'd forgotten about that. They have raclette sets too, plus ready-prepared cheese etc, which I personally think is easier than fondue.

The ski lodge pub is good and lively. Just don't expect to hear much French spoken there!

Bouc Blanc is pretty reasonably priced. La Taiga is more, but worth it for a treat one night.

Over towards 1650 the Bel Air is very good, but a bit pricey. Decent value for money, but not cheap. In contrast, there was somewhere on the front de neige at 1650 whose name sadly escapes me that was cheap but poor value for money. It's worth walking a bit further into 1650 to get food.

1850 is generally very pricey but there's a good sandwich bar in the shopping centre near the bottom of the gondola.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi@chrisb, I can imagine a place like that must be really popular with the self caterers, I'll pass it on, many thanks - and likewise thanks for the milk warning!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chrisb wrote:
@nickH,

we self cater and use the deli in the village run by an Australian.
That Australian's a Kiwi called Kirsty wink

I love her Beef Bourguignon with Potato Gratin. She also does great lamb shanks if you ask nicely with about 3 days' notice. Very Happy

http://www.lasaucissesavoyarde.fr/en/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lamb shanks - Sounds fabulous, thanks @Raceplate,
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Echo Bouc Blanc and echo that their Beaufort tart is lovely

I'd also recommend La Taiga, we've been a few times and we've always been impressed
snow report
Cheers @Lucylou, will pass that on along with the other recommendations
snow report
@nickH, there seemed to be more fresh milk last week when we were there, but it had run out by Thursday - but new delivery on the Friday - they might have learnt finally to get a bit of stock Toofy Grin
snow report
All the restaurants in La Tania are fine and pretty good value. I would let them just pick whichever takes their fancy that day. It's small enough that they're all within about 50m of each other and so they won't have difficulty finding them.

If they get as far as Courchevel 1850 then the bakery (Pain d'Antan I think it's called) in the forum shopping centre just across the road and behind the main lifts is a good place for a cheap lunch with kids in tow. The coffee there is excellent too.

The courcheneige as mentioned by ansta1 is nice, and although cheaper than the rest of Courchevel 1850 it's still not what I'd call cheap. We usually stop there once a week though, and the terrace is nice on a sunny day. They also have a snack bar that opens onto the piste just past the main hotel as you ski down that does offer cheap food on the go.
snow conditions
I can fully recommend the raclette from the deli in La Tania. Ordered the basic for 4 people as we already had potatoes, salad and some extra cheese, 9.50 euros a head with machine supplied free of charge and we actually fed 10 with potatoes to spare! But another time I would ask for additional pans and scrapers as we were only given 4 lol

The Sherpa also lends out fondue and raclette although a different sort of raclette, the one without the top grill for meats etc.
snow report
Thanks all for your recommendations, friends now out there and enjoying it !!
latest report
Just a quick ask, we are in a catered chalet but on the reps night off, is it worthwhile heading off to Courchevel 1650/1850 to eat, or best stay in La Tania?? Understand there is a bus around the 3v, but what time does this stop at? Is Courchevel 1650 within walking distance?
ski holidays
The burger place at the bottom of the pistes in LT is excellent (and excellent value too). Second Bouc Blanc, Courcheneige.
snow report
From reports of the folk staying in our chalet the restaurants in LaT were fine. Non of the Courchevels are within realistic walking distance, unless someone knows a shortcut not using the roads? We drove to 1850 a number of days because snow conditions were better but its not a cheap place to eat, other of the resorts may be better. The first one down from La T, I think from memory, is La Praz. Others may be more certain than I am.

I would stay in resort.
snow conditions
book a place for chalet host night off, if you are staying in la tania, it can get busy in some places.

Our chalet hosts said to us that http://www.courchevel.com/winter/en/restaurant-la-table-de-mon-grand-pere-n113-s385.html?socioPro=385 is getting good feedback, it's in la praz, not tried it yet though
snow conditions
Your chalet staff will have recommendations, even New Years week they were still able to book just the day before for our chalet.
latest report
@Simon94, the last bus back to La Tania from Courchevel is pretty late, but I would stick with what is in La Tania. Just book it at the start of your week
snow report
+1 for Chrome Bar (the burger place) - although I don't know if they do food in the evenings.

We once went to a place in La Praz, which is an easy taxi ride away (as long as you like your taxi rides white knuckle style!) and the food was lovely. I'm not sure what it was called, but you could see the ski jump out of the window. It may even have been the place mentioned by Little Martin. It was certainly all wood and stone.

Taiga is always packed but we usually end up there at some point. Food is usually ok but service can be a bit sketchy.
ski holidays
Actually, I've just looked and it was Bistrot du Praz.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Even big French supermarkets sometimes run out of fresh milk, or only have one kind (only full cream last time, in a big Intermarché). So if this is really important to you, buy for the whole week as soon as you see any.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy