Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heathrow T2 and Air Canada advice.

Poster: A snowHead
I've recently booked an Air Canada flight to Kelowna (via calgary) leaving Heathrow t2 at about 13.30 on a Mid February Monday. I've elected to hotel overnight at the Prem Inn and park up the day before departure, so it's just a stroll and check in at the start of what promise to be a bit of a journey.

I've not travelled via Heathrow for many, many years and am wondering how long to allow for check in, security etc. I was thinking of getting to the front door 2 to 2 1/2hrs before departure. Is there any monster queue of bottleneck that would make this unreasonable?

Also having booked with Air Canada I can't prebook my ski carriage, which makes me feel a little paranoid about space in the hold (I know it's irrational). Has anyone ever had a problem getting their extra kit on the flight with AC?

Any other comments about T2 or AC appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
T2 is a great new terminal. Departure lounge actually has windows!! I traveled to Germany recently, though not with AC, and had no problems with queues at baggage drop off, security etc. However past performance is no indicator of future performance... Very short walk to gate but I don't know which gates AC use - some are a significant walk away from departure lounge. Heathrow airport website will give you info on shops/eating places etc.

AC do recommend you pre register ski equipment by phoning Reservations (See http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/sports_equip.html for more info and link to phone numbers). Not tried it myself but have never seen anyone turned away...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Cygnet, Odd that the AC website says that. The lady who dealt with the booking at AC over the phone was most adamant I couldn't pre-book or prepay for the ski carriage. Maybe I'll just ring and amend my booking - hopefully someone else will answer the phone.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rogg - I think there's a difference between 'pre register' and 'prebook / prepay'. I don't think you can pay in advance - but at least they know to expect your skis.
Where are you going to from Kelowna?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I did the same flight a few years back. No issues with ski gear or anything. They are used to it I guess. The one issue I did have is that my transfer time in Van was pretty tight (its what they gave me when I booked). By the time you collect your stuff in Van and transfer it to the other luggage belt (a bit stupid if you ask me) you are pushing it to make the connection. I just made mine but surprise surprise my ski's did not!! To AC's credit they were delivered to Big White a few hours after my arrival. Just to be sure I would pack essentials in carry on so you can ski on the first day, ie jacket, boots, goggles etc.

Enjoy!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Cygnet, Revelstoke for a week, then on to Banff for a week with maybe a day trip or two to Kicking Horse if it snows. snowHead

@BMG, my flight's connections in Calgary so hopefully it'll all go smoothly.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I fly them a lot, including yesterday. 2.5 hours is fine, seldom any queues, even security was quiet yesterday.

No pre book needed: its not a charter flight. Just check your skis. The oversize drop is right there. For your transfer - interior flights can be weather affected. If you have all segments on one ticket then they will txfr bags - that is a minor risk, but they pay if they cock up. Kelowna airport is nice, like a bus station.

Ac planes have power &USB even in cattle class, good videos, large screens. Veggie food is generality best. Beer often poor.

T2 has stupidly expensive shops but free wifi.

Haven't been to yyc in a while, but its Canada, civilized people. You will have a customs form to fill and immigration there, no big deal. It should be cold outside.

Ylw - silver star has the best snow down there right now, but by the time you're there it'll all be different.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Highly likely your skis will not make the internal flight. ..small planes and too much luggage . There is a customer service desk next to the carousel. They will give you a ski hire voucher and deliver skis the next day.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You will have to pick up your luggage and clear customs at Calgary then drop luggage at air canada desk for internal flights. The flight to Kelowna is short its about 50 mins. Just about time to serve you a coffee and gather the cups back. We have not had a problem getting skis in to Kelowna but they have been left at Kelowna twice when flying home. Seems to be worse flying to Vancouver as more people are going on to international flights via Vancouver then via Calgary. We are flying to Kelowna with westjet on the 4th feb.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been travelling through T2 since SAS moved in there a couple of months ago. Its quite swish and most of the time check-in, security etc hasn't been busy at all. Some of the airlines have check in terminals and you just need to take your hold baggage to a bag drop - not sure if AC do this though. Some of the gates are a bit of a walk though.

Arrivals aren't so good - can be a hike from the plane and frequent lengthy queues at passport - 45 mins last Weds night.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rogg, oh yeah - even though I read Calgary it didn't register!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I've elected to hotel overnight at the Prem Inn and park up the day before departure, so it's just a stroll and check in at the start of what promise to be a bit of a journey.

I think I know where the Premier Inn is located but it does't really matter that much as there is no hotel that is "just a stroll" from the Central Area terminals at LHR. T4 and T5 both have attached hotels - albeit a bit up market from the Premier Inn, but for 1, 2 or 3 it's a bus transfer on the "Heathrow Hoppa" at a fiver a pop. You should allow half an hour for that on top of your planned check-in time.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ta, I was figuring I might need to get a bus or walk about a mile, which is no biggie. All I wanted to do was get the stress of driving/parking out of the way and get a good nights sleep in.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We flew to Calgary with AC and I remember we had to pay at check-in for ski carriage (in both directions). I was a bit twitchy about that too but it was absolutely fine. I think we rang them to ask before hand. I think you get a 'free' boot bag carriage included although that was 2 years ago
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thanks bagginsmum, I called AC yesterday and they have pre booked the extra space, but I have to pay when we arrive.
snow conditions
Just checked in with Air Canada @ T2 skis are free at the moment(although i'd paid already and they adised me to contact AC) I'd recommend just going to the assisted check in as the automated systemseems to throw a wobbly with more than one bag
snow conditions
Burrow01 wrote:
Just checked in with Air Canada @ T2 skis are free at the moment(although i'd paid already and they adised me to contact AC) I'd recommend just going to the assisted check in as the automated systemseems to throw a wobbly with more than one bag

Don't expect this to be an easy process …. I had the same issue, could not check the skis in via the self service check-in, ended up paying for them and told to reclaim. This was a complete nightmare of being passed from Customer Care Centre to Reclaims and so on around the circle - I gave up in the end.

You need to check in manually with the assisted checkin, then your skis will go for free (and boots). Its the same at Calgary, just get manually checked in. Seems crazy that Air Canada designed an automated checkin process that can handle hunting trophies, but does not have a mechanism to check a pair of skis in Sad
ski holidays

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 29-03-19 16:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Burrow01, haven't you just replied and given yourself advice over 4 years after your original post? Puzzled
ski holidays
No idea what happened, post came up in "new posts".. probably should not be posting in between "Working from Home" Happy
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
Highly likely your skis will not make the internal flight. ..small planes and too much luggage . There is a customer service desk next to the carousel. They will give you a ski hire voucher and deliver skis the next day.

Take note of this ... in January, our skis didn't arrive on either the outgoing or return trips to Kelowna!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy