Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ABS Recall

Poster: A snowHead
Just got this...

Code:

We are the UK agents for ABS.

We are sorry for the delay in getting your bag tested and returned and also for the lack of information we have been able to provide. I’m afraid ABS in Germany have been simply swamped by the process.

We are doing what we can to get things working better from now on.

ABS have found it difficult to send bags individually to England because of complications with shipping gas canisters. They are sending a batch of tested bags and canisters to us and we expect delivery on Monday. We will do all we can to get them shipped from us to you on Monday if we can, but by Tuesday at the latest, so they will be delivered on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a list of which bags are coming, so yours may not be in this delivery – if so, then more apologies. I won’t know which bags are here until they arrive and I will email to let you know if yours is on its way to you.

There are a couple of things it would help for me to know before they arrive, so we can get the bags sent on ASAP when they do.

Firstly, could you let us know if the address you gave ABS is not where you want the bag returning.

Secondly there is an offer of upgrading to a carbon canister you may wish to consider.

Much of the delay has been caused by a shortage of newly produced steel canisters. Your bag is coming from ABS in Germany and will be complete with a new steel canister. We have none in UK and as we are now able to test bags here, this causes delays in getting bags returned. The only way we can do this quickly is by supplying a carbon canister which should cost an extra £95.

Below is the email I am sending to customers who’s bags we have tested here

We are sorry for the problems caused by the ABS recall.

We are doing all we can to get everyone’s bags back in use as quickly as possible. Unfortunately we can’t yet get a supply of replacement steel canisters, so for now the only way to get bags back in use after they have been tested, is to supply carbon canisters. They are better as they are much lighter than steel (280g as opposes to 510g), but significantly more expensive. A bag with a carbon unit costs £90 more than steel and the normal cost to upgrade from steel to carbon is £95.

Until we have a supply of new steel canisters, we can swap your steel for a carbon unit for a reduced price of £35. While we are embarrassed to ask you to pay just to get your bag back in use, we hope you will be happy to take the opportunity to make the upgrade at the reduced price.

I would be much happier to be able to offer this as an option rather than the only choice.

Bags coming from Germany have new steel canisters, so if some folk with these would like to swap, I would then be able to have a few steel canisters as a choice for bags we have tested here.

I hope that made sense.

Basically, if you would like to have your bag returned with a carbon, rather than steel canister for £35, just reply to this email and we’ll contact you to arrange payment. I’m afraid this offer will be limited as we don’t have that many carbon canisters.

Summary

1)      We have some bags due here on Monday. We will email to let you know if yours is amongst them

2)      Please let us know if the address details you gave to ABS are wrong

3)      Please let us know if you would like to swap to a carbon canister at £35 (subject to availability.

Sorry again for all the nuisance and confusion

Question is, I'm just going to sell it when I get it back, will I make the £35 back. Would people rather have a carbon canister?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Update; after a few more calls and emails abs acknowledged that they have received my bag but that they have no idea where it is! After an apology they have sent me a 'rental' bag to where I am staying in France that arrived today. The best news is that it is a brand new bag with tags and all Smile. Clearly cock up but under the circumstances I can't complain as my own bag is 8 years old.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@allanm, my first thought whe I read that was that is was some kind of phishing thing. However if it is legit I reckon you will get your 35 back from theupgrade. I upgraded to the carbon canister this year and the difference is certainly noticeable.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've had that too. Think it is genuine. I've had dealings with that agent previously
Be interesting to see what happens next week
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave Noble has been an agent / distributor of various sports brands over the years, and was a pretty good National Windsurfer in ye olde days.

My mate arranged his to carbon canisters to be sent to my local shop here in France but no show as yet, and he arrives tomorrow.

But I'm not going to be taking him anywhere just yet as slides still happening in this part of the world and one only last Fri on a route I took him up last year!

http://www.ledauphine.com/hautes-alpes/2015/02/06/deux-skieurs-indemnes-et-un-blesse-dans-une-avalanche

I'm going out with the local CAF tomorrow (Sunday) and I know the route to be quite mellow.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ajdetpwm, @Weathercam, I will take your you'd that they are legit then. I got the email today too but I got my bag back a week ago ( I sent it without canister). So I now wonder if some people will ask for the carbon upgrade but then receive their bag back direct from Germany. Seems they are starting/trying to get organised but are still having some issues.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^^ Don't think there is any doubt about the legitimacy of the email, they're just not that organised... and I do have some sympathy given the scale of the matter.
I've gone for the £35 upgrade, even although I'll sell the bag when I get it (just as I won't use it again for other reasons).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Noble Custom, the UK distributors, are a very reputable company and £35 to upgrade to a carbon cylinder is a great deal.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hope mine comes back to Jennewein in next 2 weeks, great service by those guys, hope ABS pull out the stops! wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
took my steel activation unit back to the shop in St Gervais where I bought it in late December (i.e., after the recall had been issued rolling eyes ).
They genuinely seemed to no nothing about the recall! It was Sunday evening so they took it back and were going to get in touch with ABS this week.
Fortunately I hadn't tested my new bag...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mail received today..

Code:
We received our delivery of bags from ABS today and have returned everyone’s bags that we had.

Unfortunately there were far fewer than we expected and yours wasn’t amongst them.

We are expecting another delivery on February 16th, but, I’m afraid  have no information about how many or for whom. We will let you know as soon as we do have any information.

Sorry again!

I am sending this mail to all on my list from ABS, which I now know includes some who have not sent bags to Germany.

If you have not yet sent your bag to Germany and not previously contacted us, it may be better to send it to us in UK, as we can now carry out testing. Email me for information on how to do that.

If you sent just a canister without a bag to Germany, email us as we can probably arrange to get a replacement sent from here.

We will keep you informed as soon as we have more information.

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So I did not send my ABS back to Germany in the end and instead sent it direct to Noble. I sent it yesterday, they tested it today and they are shipping it back for delivery tomorrow. While this cost me an additional £20 in shipping, I'm really impressed with how fast they have turned this round. If you are still sitting on your bag for whatever reason, I'd suggest this route. They also mentioned that the failure rate so far has been extremely low.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Luckily my bag was on the delivery from Germany yesterday. I have just received my bag back from Noble by overnight delivery as promised. Thanks.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

took my steel activation unit back to the shop in St Gervais where I bought it in late December (i.e., after the recall had been issued ).

They genuinely seemed to no nothing about the recall! It was Sunday evening so they took it back and were going to get in touch with ABS this week.

Fortunately I hadn't tested my new bag...

just told me that I was right about the recall (!) and they are getting their stock replaced with carbon. I can swap for one of those for an extra euro 32 next week
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Progress - of sorts.
In chasing up my two replacement cylinders and handles
I have got through on the ABS helpline to talk to someone in English, gave her my reference number and explained that I have been waiting 7 weeks and need these back before we go in two weeks.
She said there is no way that they will be able to ship those to me by then.
So took the address of our chalet in France and said that she would ship them there in next few days.
Obviously there are issues with shipping of the hazardous goods to UK that don't exist with going to France.

We will have to wait and see if they are there when we arrive on 15th Feb!

On a side note I asked her what the current turn around on checking packs is and she said "three weeks" !!!

Seems that this has worked - have had a confirmation that a parcel has arrived to chalet for my attention.
Will need to wait and see for Sunday if it is 2 nice shiny new cylinders
latest report
Bag arrived back from Noble yesterday complete with a shiny new carbon activation unit. Turnaround time from sending it through to receiving it was 72hrs. I am really impressed with Noble's service here and would suggest others take this route if they have not already sent their bags directly to ABS.
snow report
Well done ABS ( eventually)
Arrived at chalet in Tignes, opened parcel and found nice new carbon cylinders ,( free upgrade from the old steel that I had sent back)

Backs up the theory that there are no stock of new steel but good to see that they are supplementing that with carbon

Off to the supermarket deli counter in the morning to weigh them ( lateral thinking solution)
snow report
Just a quick update. I had decided to wait to get my ABS checked as I was in Austria all season and there was definately a shortage of carbon cylinders in all the local dealers. I reasoned that being without my bag for a few weeks while skiing off piste involved a much larger risk to myself than that associated with one test firing in the past.

So I sent the bag off to German on 03/09/15 and got it back today, fairly quick turnaround.
latest report
did the recall for two bags last winter. steel cylinders returned. Any tips for cheapest option for upgrading to carbon cylinders? Cheers...
snow report
Guess you could negotiate when you do a future test firing. I've had a carbon since I bought it but I did the initial test with a steel, hence the sending it back.
ski holidays
Hi I sent my ABS back last May and haven't had it back yet, I mailed them 5 weeks ago and was told I would have it back in two weeks, still nothing I mailed again and they didn't respond.
Any one else in the same situation? Any advice?
Thanks
ski holidays
Wonksdog wrote:
Hi I sent my ABS back last May and haven't had it back yet, I mailed them 5 weeks ago and was told I would have it back in two weeks, still nothing I mailed again and they didn't respond.
Any one else in the same situation? Any advice?
Thanks

Wow thats a long time, ive held off sending mine in so it didnt go in with the rush. I was going to send it in this week, but this is a little worrying!
ski holidays
Heard from them today, they now say it was sent in July, so there chasing it and will lend me one till they find it, so things are looking up
ski holidays
@Wonksdog, Good result. Keep pushing and make sure the sack is an equivalent model.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy