Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Relief as snow hits ski resorts

Poster: A snowHead
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4534154.stm

Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:

Puzzled

rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm sorry? What planet is he on? This year is infinitely better than last year! Even our local resort opened 2-3 weeks earlier this year
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also what is the wierd bit about needing good conditions to pass basi? Surely a BASI should beable to cope in crap conditions! "Sorry I can't teach today, its a bit too rocky/icy" Puzzled Shocked rolling eyes
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Written by a SCGB rep.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ajhainey wrote:
Also what is the wierd bit about needing good conditions to pass basi? Surely a BASI should beable to cope in crap conditions! "Sorry I can't teach today, its a bit too rocky/icy" Puzzled Shocked rolling eyes

He was referrng to the BASI courses they were running, a range of conditions and terrain is good for that. Zermatt is a little flat on the glacier for some of that. Even so, it's an odd comment, it wasn't quite what two other trainers had told me who were there for the same round of courses.

Amusing report though, the Telegraph report was more accurate as it really meant across the bulk of stations in the Alpes. The Daily Mail seem to be talking about the half dozen high French stations their readers go to Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ise wrote:
Amusing report though, the Telegraph report was more accurate as it really meant across the bulk of stations in the Alpes. The Daily Mail seem to be talking about the half dozen high French stations their readers go to Very Happy

Even his comment about Tignes was factually incorrect. After I read the article I double-checked the date to make sure it wasn't from this time last year! Bizarre Confused
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't know where they get their facts sometimes. Neutral

Seems to me just an excuse to bring up the subject of Global Warming, for the umpteenth time. Confused
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What's worrying is that there is still a minority of the public that believe what is written in the newspaper's is true Sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Best early season conditions for ages yet they bang on about global warming and how lower altitude resorts will have no business in a couple of years. Does not compute
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin, that's OK, means they won't bother turning up which means more space for the rest of us Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The guy writing it first says "It's been one of the most worrying build-ups to the season on record with poor snow levels across Europe".
Then he says "Austria has the best conditions in Europe with more snow set to fall this weekend. Obergurgl, Kaprun and Solden have near record amounts for this time of year"
Can anyone have proof read the article before it was printed? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar.org.uk,

Setting off for Val D in 7 hours snowHead snowHead snowHead Can you tell me what the latest snow conditions are? Snow-forecast.com seems to have doubled the number of lifts both available and open (47/94) ??? this morning! Smile Just wondered if the last couple of days' snow had made much difference? oh and BTW how are the roads (we're driving down).

Thanx in advance! snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AxsMan, I'd like to be able to help, but I'm currently in South wales so my info probably isn't the most reliable! From watching the Ladies SuperG on Eurosport it does seem to be a nice day Smile PG is in Val this morning, so he'd shoulod be able to give a first hand report later today.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar.org.uk,

wups! Thanks Rob, I'll PM PG.
snow report
Puzzling. I met James Cove, once - and he struck me as a common-sense, straight-talking bloke. And he says he was on the spot at Tignes. Has Tignes been a bit barren til recently? I remember pictures form PG that showed a bleak picture - but that was some time ago.

We are rather lucky that we get our reports from our alpine-resident snowheads.
snow conditions
Nick Zotov wrote:
Has Tignes been a bit barren til recently?

By comparision with some other resorts Tignes hasn't been blessed with good early season snow, but it's adequate for this time of year. However, James wrote that "Earlier this month, the slopes of Tignes in France, one of Europe's highest resorts, were bare. I was there last week when the first snow fell...". I find this statement very surprising because I was in Tignes in November when there was the first significant snow of the season (we had a foot of fresh snow at resort level).
snow report
I wonder if James's report was filed in November and the DM has only just got around to publishing it? Or maybe they are confusing Val d'Isère and Tignes? I was amused at the other contradiction that because high altitude resorts have poor snow (as last year) you should avoid low altitude resorts (which do actually have quite good conditions). I suspect as others have said that the report has been hacked around to fit in with the global warming theme and as such doesn't make a lot of sense if you know what the current conditions are.

That said Peter Hardy's "Best Start for a decade" - and the French press's "best start for 15 years" do not seem to correspond with Meteo France's claims that snow levels except for high-mountain areas of Northern Alps are "mediocre" and "well below average". Unless their average includes most of the last ice age.

What is probably the case is that cold temperatures since mid-November have allowed resorts to run snow making at full kilter. And that it is probably the best start for many mid mountain resorts for a few years but not the best start globally for a decade in France at least.

But hey, the newspapers have to pull the punters in to book holidays – there is plenty of time to trash snowsports holidays later in the season with headlines such as: “Killer Avalanche Wipes out Ski Village” or “Alpine Traffic Chaos Leaves Hundred Stranded” or “Tour Operator Bankruptcy Ruins Holidays of Lifetime” or “Misery as French Farmers Blockade Channel Ports”.
ski holidays
Does not apply here. We have had snow here since November 17th. And now we have about 1 metre of snow in the village and 190 cm on the mountain. The most snow they have here for ages at this time in the year.

The lifts also opened ealy this year!!

As for low level resorts here in Austrian the equivalent compared to France is about 500m different. So a resort at say 1000m in eastern Austria is the same as a resort at 1500 in France- since the further east you go the colder it is.

Nigel
latest report
AxsMan, my son returned from Val last weekend and siad that by the end of the week the conditions were excellent - so have a great time snowHead
ski holidays
Thanks Nick, We are just leaving now. If I can find a web cafe I'll update with a weather report, otherwise everyone have a wonderful Christmas! Update on 28th.
snow report
Best at top...? wink
ski holidays
my son is in Val D'Isere and just told me that the very high wind had blown off a lot of snow in some places. it's v cold at the moment, so no problem with snow making and nursery slopes are good. Very rocky in places - he scratched skis badly.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy