Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'Isère World Cup, women's downhill, a day to remember

Poster: A snowHead
Icy winds blasting the course from the start to the finish, white-out conditions, crashes (spectacular but no serious injuries), touch and go whether the race would even begin, cross-winds whipping up the snow to the extent that some racers could barely see the next gate, a remarkable job done by the course workers to remove the loose snow and make it 'safe', all in all a race to remember.

"Ayma" watched stoically from the sidelines wondering what all the fuss was about....

In fact Ayma was to be a surprise extra for the eventual winner who was reluctant to part with her despite being offered the sum of 1000 euros by a bystander. Having deliberately gone to chat to Ayma before the race began she was convinced the Savoie cow had brought her luck.

"Would she be taking her to all her future races as a good luck charm?" was met with a laugh, but my "When's the barbecue" didn't go down so well... wink

Such high winds that helicopter operations were jeopardised, in fact. But the enterprising French apparently had an answer in case they needed to shuttle the racers back to the start....

A long chat with Chemmy, Anja Pearson, and a number of racers to follow with the story from behind the scenes of a race that very nearly didn't take place...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So who could it be? Did the cows come home for Kostelic?

Were Kildow's Red Bull sponsors in a hurry to get down and claim their prize?

Watch this space...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PG Missed the race on TV due to the delayed start. Looked as if a bit of snow had come down, but a real wicked wind.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I missed it also and the later emission on Eurosport 2 was unavailable due to a "technical problem with this channel". Hopefully I'll be able to see it on the reply tonight.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They had to lower the start because of the conditions, but one or two racers weren't exactly happy, it was a bit of a lottery because of the conditions at times.

Local favourite Ingrid Jacquemod was on fire yesterday, but was she able to grab today's race by the horns?

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I missed it too.

Nice pics PG. You a journo then ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not giving much away in case people still haven't seen the TV coverage/results, but those who saw the race... and if you haven't and get the chance, don't miss it... the younger of the two Italian Fanchini sisters was lucky to escape relatively unscathed from her crash, and a spectacular one it was too. The powerful and unpredictable gusts of wind both caused sudden whiteouts and threw racers off line, with several stoppages following crashes, and some debate as to whether the race could/should continue. In the event the race was halted before everyone had come down, but after the minimum number had successfully completed the course to ensure a result was obtained.

Chemmy was one of the last ones to come down before the race was stopped, and was well in the points until she was caught by a massive gust not far from the end that cost her a lot of time and left her just outside the top thirty... she was hugely disappointed.

Within an hour even down in Val itself I had to walk along the road with my eyes shut against the force of the wind and the driving blizzard that had developed....
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is it usual to give cows to podium-finishers?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jerry wrote:
I missed it too.

Shocked No. But I take a good photo of a cow, I'm told.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A 'Tail' of two downhills? Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
Is it usual to give cows to podium-finishers?
Not seen it before, suppose the organisers were just trying to milk the extra publicity for the 50th anniversary of the race...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PG, No pun intended? rolling eyes

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 18-12-05 0:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Deleted - re-written below with correct quote.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 18-12-05 0:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG wrote:
Jerry wrote:
I missed it too.

Shocked No. But I take a good photo of a cow, I'm told.

Not bad Very Happy
Actually, they give a nice feeling of being there. One of the great things about ski racing is how close ordinary spectators can get to the action - and he racers. Seems to work because everyone seems sensible and well-behave - judging by the events I saw some years ago. At Val D and Tignes, by sheer co-incidence.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PG, I bet there was an udder reason...Ayma sure it was moo than that in fact, cows whatever the reason, 1,000 euro's snow joke!
snow report
I reckon the winner was just fresian cold and had forgotten her jersey.
snow report
Are you sure Angus from Aberdeen had nothing to do with this ???
snow report
Cud we please not go off at a tangent like this again. I've never herd such tosh. It is the usual suspects milking their post counts. Very Happy
ski holidays
Silage, silage, silage. Got to reach our quotas
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, - sorry! didn't mean to upset the cream - just some 'off the hoof' remarks, not meant to be bovine, or crass in any way. Toofy Grin
latest report
Where's the next gate?! Shocked

The story of the weekend's racing, from white-out and wipe-out in Saturday's Downhill to perfect weather and a better day - if not quite perfect - for Chemmy in Sunday's Super G. Good points, not much more than a second separating her from the day's winner, Dorfmeister, just 77/100ths from second-placed Meissnitzer to Chemmy in 17th, a very close race.

At least she won one race - at the speed gun near the finish she was the fastest through on the day! No World Cup bonus points for that though... wink
snow report
All the above comments pail into insignificance besides PG's recownting of the races at the weekend snowHead keep up the good words and pictures (though perhaps don't give the punsters as much ammoonition next time!)
snow report
Sat's race looked really dangerous, saw the Karin Blaser fall which looked nasty.

Good to see Chemmy in there.

Amazed that Dorfmeister won yesterday after a serious mistake (only Bode seems to get away with that). Good to see her going out on a high.
ski holidays
Hard to judge from the brief chats I had with the racers but some of them - Chemmy, Caroline Lalive, Julia Mancuso, Anja Pearson, Emily Brydon and Dorfmeister herself among others, come across as really warm characters, down-to-earth and 'ordinary' in some ways, not the prima donnas you find in some sports. The same with a lot of the men racers I've met as well.

That's not to say that they haven't got something special. There's a definite 'aura' about these athletes, a mixture of calm confidence, strength, resolution. I suppose they wouldn't have made it so far in such a demanding sport without all of that and more, of course.
snow conditions
PG, got to agree with you, having been to the Night slalom in schaldming for the past two years (as a guest of Atomic don't you know!!!) we had Pallander and Raiche sitting at our table in the VIP tent after the race Toofy Grin
snow conditions
More from behind the scenes, plus some new photos, in this article...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy