Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Most Alpine ski schools are a waste of money"!!

Poster: A snowHead
In his article in the Daily Mail today, Peter Hardy says,
"....some of Europe's best ski instructors are admitting that most ski schools are a waste of time & money." He also quotes Sally Chapman, who runs her own ski school, as follows,
"Thanks to enormous technological improvements, ski teaching has undergone a revolution in recent years. But stand on any slope and it is shocking to see the number of instructors who simply have not moved with the times."

The article then recommends several ski schools (the much-maligned ESF not among them rolling eyes ).

Should I simply not bother with any ski school but the ones he recommends - surely not, but how can we tell which are not ".. a waste of time & money"? Does this opinion apply only to experienced skiiers, ie can beginners & early imntermediates still benefit from the run-of-the-mill ski school (eg ESF)?

Any thoughts??

Edit: Just tried to find the article online but no luck. Sorry.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 17-12-05 17:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have been taught by ESF from day 1 of skiing, and I think they are great. See my post here
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Red Leon wrote:
In his article in the Daily Mail today, Peter Hardy says,
"....some of Europe's best ski instructors are admitting that most ski schools are a waste of time & money." He also quotes Sally Chapman, who runs her own ski school, as follows,
"Thanks to enormous technological improvements, ski teaching has undergone a revolution in recent years. But stand on any slope and it is shocking to see the mumber of instructors who simply have not moved with the times."

The article then recommends several ski schools (the much-maligned ESF not among them rolling eyes ).

Should I simply not bother with any ski school but the ones he recommends - surely not, but how can we tell which are not ".. a waste of time & money"? Does this opinion apply only to experienced skiiers, ie can beginners & early imntermediates still benefit from the run-of-the-mill ski school (eg ESF)?

Any thoughts??

Would they be the ones with their knees glued together and on skinny skis? Twisted Evil
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Red Leon, which ones made the short-list?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't feel confident to recommend large ski schools such as ESF because in my opinion there's not a high enough chance of getting a good instructor. That's not to say that there aren't good instructors in ESF schools. For example, I skied with a former trainer of PG's daughter last weekend (he's an ESF instructor) and was very impressed by the feedback he gave. But unless you are going for a private lesson and ask for a specific instructor there's no guarantee you're going to get a good teacher. That's why I'm happy to pay the premium that people like Sally Chapman charge, because with her setup (I've skied with her twice) I'm very confident of getting top quality instruction. Although I've not seen the Daily Mail article, I would agree with Sally's comments based on the range of instructors I see around the slopes.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
slikedges,

List is as follows:

Top Ski, Val D'Isere
Simon Butler Skiing, Megeve
Summit Ski & Snowboard, Zermatt
White Sensations, France & Austria
Inspired to Ski, France

mark_s,

I've only skiied 3 weeks. Tuition for 2 of those were with ESF and I have no complaints.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Red Leon wrote:

I think the earlier that skiers start to build effective technique into their skiing, the more likely they are to become good skiers in all conditions. For that reason I think it is just as important for inexperienced skiers to have good instruction as it it for experienced skiers.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Red Leon wrote:
slikedges,

List is as follows:

Top Ski, Val D'Isere
Simon Butler Skiing, Megeve
Summit Ski & Snowboard, Zermatt
White Sensations, France & Austria
Inspired to Ski, France

I hope that those schools are examples of good schools to use rather than an exhaustive list. There are several ski schools/individual instructors that need to be added...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was on a snoworks off piste instruction week last year in Austria. Every other day we had an Austrian ski guide and we asked him about the new ski teaching, aka Snoworks, against what he taught. Refreshingly he acknowleged that the "Old" style was not as appropriate these days, however as he was in the employ of the Austrian ski school he had to teach the Austrian style, which looks nice but not as dynamic as we were being taught.
One of my collogues threw his hands up in dispare after 2 days, commenting that he had spent the last 7 years learning to looking pretty, but had made more progress in the two days with Snoworks than he had for years.

BTW I'm not affiliated with Snoworks, just a happy customer.

Bod
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar.org.uk,

Immediately prior to the list, Peter Hardy states.."Here's my pick of the best;" so I guess this is the best of the worthwhile schools (in his opinion, of course) rather than an exhaustive list of worthwhile ones.

There's still the question of how to know which schools are any good. Asking on SnowHeads is a good start, I suppose. Puzzled
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Red Leon, thanks, in which case I would add Snoworks, Mountain Masters, Easiski, Ski Supreme, BASS, Skivolution and Alpine Coaching amongst others.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar.org.uk,

I was with BASS in Morzine for my first week on snow (all of 3 years ago!) and found the instructor, Jaz, excellent. Having said that, I've no complaints about the ESF in Arc 2000 or Valmeinier (ESF is the only show in town there) but I do wonder what more - or less - I might have learned in smaller groups and with instructors for whom English was less of a burden.

edit: I plan to do one week this season and then a few days at EOSB so maybe easiski will be able to show me how much better I could have been!! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Don't forget the Warren Smith Ski Academy and New Generation
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Red Leon wrote:
I've no complaints about the ESF in Arc 2000 or Valmeinier (ESF is the only show in town there)

I'm sure that there are many good instructors in ESF schools, but I think the chance of getting an instructor who still teaches 'old style' is too high to warrant the risk. I'm therefore happy to pay a bit more and increase the chance that I'll get a good instructor.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
slikedges wrote:

Looking at the New Gen website this year I was surprised to see a large turnover of instructors from the last couple of years, and a high proprtion of non-Brit instructors. Of course, this doesn't mean that their standards are slipping from the very high level they've been for a number of years, but I'll be interested to see feedback from people who ski with them this season.
ski holidays
slikedges wrote:

Or me! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Actually I do basically agree with Sally, but she's a little too sweeping for my liking! The problem with the ESF is that it's not one ski school. In some resorts it will be the best school in town, and in others the worst. Also, most of the problems are from group lessons. Their philosophy is based on ecomony of scale - quantity and not quality, however many of the younger instructors are not happy, and want to teach more. There may be change yet - but of course a large number of people do want the cheapest deal.

I would have thought it was quite easy nowadays to find the school you want. Send them an email and see what happens ... Shocked
snow conditions
An ideal opportunity to shamelessly plug the Freeride school in Champery, PDS...
snow report
easiski, I would, of course, have mentioned you too but rob@rar.org.uk had already done so Very Happy

Quote:

...I would add Snoworks, Mountain Masters, Easiski, Ski Supreme, BASS, Skivolution and Alpine Coaching...
ski holidays
I would add - most of us learnt 'old school' and it hasn't done permanent harm, so if its no school or old school, I'd still go 'old school' - especially for beginners and early intermediates....Better risk the ESf than play 'teach yourself' or 'ask a mate who knows a bit' IMO anyway, you may not learn as fast and as well as could theoretically could, but you'll still learn! aj xx
snow conditions
I'd say easiski is the best value I have come across followed by some of the guys at Vaujany ESF.

You can get some very good instructors through the ESF but, as easiski says, the quality is a bit variable. you have to ask around for someone who is a good technical skier and who speaks good english. Then book a lesson specifically with them
snow conditions
Thank you, thank you all (bows low to audience!) Blush Blush

ajhainey, I agree that old school is better than helpful friends, but nu skool is better by far!! The problem with old school teaching is that it is all based on physically turning the skis, which is now unnecessary most of the time, and is a really difficulty habit to get out of.

There are lots of good ski schools out there, and lots of good teachers. You just need to do a bit of research and not take the TOs word for it. I think the response you have to an enquiry is the clearest indication of the nature of the school. A friendly and prompt response will show that they're interested in you as a client. If the office have that attitude there's a good chance the instructors will as well. Very Happy
snow report
Just tried to find the article and sinply found the Daily Mail website to be a bit of a disaster. Oh well.

Without reading the copy I don't really like to comment. But...I will anyway. It seems to me to be a sweeping and inaccurate generalisation. In my experience, limited or not, most ski schools are better than nothing. Some are MASSIVELY better than nothing. THe ESF gets bad press but I know that they are endeavouring intensely to become truly excellent. They're a big organisation (loosely speaking) so it'll take time and effort.

There's a whole bunch of really great independents too (Our Easiski amongst them) - so I'm a little disappointed by what seems to be rather a "knocking" article.

Anyone able, willing, etc. to break copyright and pop up a copy?
latest report
David Murdoch, I think Sally's just trying to stir up a bit more business. I've heard her quoted on this subject before. She doesn't have Phil Smith's rep to help now!
snow conditions
easiski wrote:
Thank you, thank you all (bows low to audience!) Blush Blush

ajhainey, I agree that old school is better than helpful friends, but nu skool is better by far!! The problem with old school teaching is that it is all based on physically turning the skis, which is now unnecessary most of the time, and is a really difficulty habit to get out of.

There are lots of good ski schools out there, and lots of good teachers. You just need to do a bit of research and not take the TOs word for it. I think the response you have to an enquiry is the clearest indication of the nature of the school. A friendly and prompt response will show that they're interested in you as a client. If the office have that attitude there's a good chance the instructors will as well. Very Happy

Yep totally agree (FYI you were the ONLY instructor that managed to return my enquiry within a week snowHead I still haven't heard from one or two Twisted Evil) I was just saying that I think it's unhelpful to say "Most schools a waste of money" in a major newspaper as it sort of implies (to a complete beginner) that it's not worth taking lessons with anyone other than the elite list. While I agree it is much, much better to take lessons from someone who has adapted to the new teaching styles and techniques - it is possible to learn to ski with someone a little old school and even the most traditional instructor will probably still keep you safer than going it alone....

I had this vision of lots of new skiers going 'well if schools are a waste of money, I'm no fool, I'm not spending my hard earned cash on usless stuff - I guess we'll just go and give it a try on our own" which is even for the naturally talented going to be a bit of a nightmare scenario....

aj xx
ski holidays
ajhainey, Yeah - it's a worry. Especially if he listed only 3 or 4 examples. the implication being that all others were a waste. I rescued a woman today trying to teach her 2 firends how to ski - they couldn't even do a plough and were trying to negotiate higher pistes!!!
ski holidays
easiski, ah. Makes sense, for her at least.

It's difficult isn't it? Odd how it's only once one can ski tolerably well that one gets a feel for good teachers/coaches!
ski holidays
David Murdoch, I don't actually think that's true. It's just that most beginners book with the TO and get stuck in these huge classes, so they assume that's the norm. People with a bit of "street smarts" often do book independently and ditto those with experienced friends. Once you've been through the mill you begin to see there are alternatives. Still a shame that Peter Hardy's articles are so negative (not the first one I've read like this). He's not doing anyone any favours IMO.
snow conditions
easiski, Hi Charlotte, I hope you're getting good snow. Maybe I expressed myself wrongly. I think anyone can spot a good instructor once in their presence, but it's not till you and your peers are reasonably experienced that you build up a library of people to use. Unless you post on SnowHeads of course!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch, aah
snow conditions
David Murdoch, easiski, I think you are both right. I've just organised an independent group of 15 - 17 to ski in ADH in March. They have never done ski school other than group ESF despite several of them having several weeks (5 - 11) experience under their belts because they have always travelled with an all inclusive operator. At the moment they are just assuming that they'll sign up for 6 x2.5 hr lessons with ESF when even with my limited experience I think they'd get as much and more out of a few private lessons. It's not cost - they are all well paid, mid thirties, no kids It's conditioning. That is all they know. I'm sure that if I can change their mindset they'll have a much better learning experience and suddenly realise what it could be like ............wish me luck!
snow report
Annie, Good luck. In fact, suggest they register here. You might find some moral support!

Isn't group organisation painful? Once again our committee of six has tied itself in knots over our US trip. Will we never learn?
snow report
If you want lessons in LDA, get Easiski, no question...!!!

able to spot small faults at 100 paces and more... as all of us on the PSB can testify... Laughing
snow conditions
David Murdoch wrote:
Annie, Good luck. In fact, suggest they register here. You might find some moral support!

Isn't group organisation painful? Once again our committee of six has tied itself in knots over our US trip. Will we never learn?

I find operating as a committee of 1 helps enormously Happy Groups of 17 and 12 this year, no problems so far (although ask me again when I get back in a week or so)

aj xx
snow report
Agree with all of that - perhaps marginally off-topic, but I think a lesson in a group of 4 or less brings big benefits - I try to have a couple of hours with easiski when I'm there, and that gives me enough material to practice on for a week! From fuzzy recollections of learning as a youth, I remember a lot of standing around while 30 other drones did their traverses, fell over, got righted, went a bit more, fell again, etc., whereas in a small group, you've got almost 100% skiing time and indidual attention to your own shortcomings. Alright you might only be doing it for an hour or two, but what you learn there allows you to go off and practice for the rest of the day, and really nail what you've been taught. In that respect, private lessons are in my view actually better value for money than group ones. Why pay to get agitated waiting for your turn and watch your cohorts fall over when you could have been shown what to do in 2 hours and then go off and play to your hearts content?
Just my tuppenny-worth.
ajhainey, I sympathise totally with your large group situation. I've given up organising our gang's annual jolly - the grief of getting everyone to pay up/insurance etc, plus arguing about where to go just doesn't appeal any more, strangely! Enjoy your trip - looking forward to hearing about it when you get back.
ski holidays
Annie, I suggest you contact Sarah@alpedhuez as she can tell you exactly who is good in ADH. She has a list. However I do know she's very busy at the moment (and has kids), so maybe a bribe would be in order??? Shock Shock

Did you know you can reserve a private instructor for a ski school period - it's called Engagement. This sort of thing might work well for your group, so they can mix and match through the week. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy