Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me improve please [video]

davidmt83
davidmt83
Hi,

I was hoping for a few pointers on how to improve my skiing technique... A friend video'd me at Hemel Hempstead a week or so ago and it looks to me like I need to focus on putting weight over the outside ski.

This was my first time back on the snow in 2 years so I was taking it a little slow when the video was taken, but I was trying to focus on technique.

http://youtube.com/v/a0C6OP4tnWI

Background info: I've skiied for 3 weeks and I'm out Les Arcs in January Smile

Thanks

David
snow report
 davidmt83
davidmt83
I know I was taking it quite slow Very Happy Someone surely has something to say, even get a better jacket!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@davidmt83, get a better jacket!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@davidmt83, David, in the first instance I would look at your stance and balance on the skis. At 21 seconds it's easy to see that you are very much in the backseat. Your ankles are rigid and you're weight is behind your heels. Try flexing the ankles, knees and hips rather than just the knees and hips. Get your hands forward a bit and try to relax. So many of issues you are facing emanate from being out of balance. There is a lot more going on as well, however.

I would strongly suggest that you take a few lessons. Without wishing to sound harsh, it's difficult at this level of skiing to self teach; in fact almost impossible as you don't get appropriate feedback to be able to make changes. All the drills and ideas in the world aren't going to make much difference if you can't visualise accurately how it looks and feels. This is why I haven't contributed earlier. This may sound like a cop out but honestly it will be worth it in the long run.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good luck by the way and with a good bit of work and some good advice, high level skiing is not beyond you.
ski holidays
 davidmt83
davidmt83
@Ade57, Thanks - I think I'll head over to MK and sign up for...

Lesson 5

This lesson is ideal for someone who wants to improve their technique or who wants a refresher after taking a break from the sport. This is the perfect session for developing your coordination and rhythm, introducing parallel turns in skiing and consolidating turns in snowboarding. Once you feel confident we would recommend taking part in one of our coaching sessions to develop your skills even further
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You could do worse than watch some of Darren Turner's videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2jvpwCE6Ybmizxid2qnRHg . He'll explain everything you need to know.

Start with the Intermediate ones (video lessons 3 and 4).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@davidmt83, Watch the Warren Smith DVD's (4 of them), I found them helpful (albeit really boring). Personally I dont go along with the argument that says go to UK fridges and get lessons (theyre too short a descent to be useful IMO unless you are practicing slalom or short radius turns etc when they are OK)...... I'd suggest getting out to the Alps and having a weeks intensive 1:1 with a ski teacher initially for 2 -3 days followed by a day skiing and aiming to practice what you've learnt, then another day with the teacher and so on. Repeat this for 2-3 weeks and you'll get it and advance quicker IMO. Like most things if you are going to improve quickly it costs money to get the tuition. I personally dont like ski schools where there's 8-10 people snaking along, unless you are 1-2 behind the teacher its a waste of time.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@davidmt83, if Hemel is close by then some fellow snowheads run a series of lessons/clinics which seem to get very well received by folk that have been on them

http://insideoutskiing.com/uk/improver.html
latest report
 davidmt83
davidmt83
Thanks all - signed up for lessons now. Thanks for the links too.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
olderscot wrote:
You could do worse than watch some of Darren Turner's videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2jvpwCE6Ybmizxid2qnRHg . He'll explain everything you need to know.

Start with the Intermediate ones (video lessons 3 and 4).

So Good I'm off to buy his apps. Very clear lessons.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Here's my two penneth's worth.... Get thee to the Alps with friends or family or both. Day 1 toodle about and have a laugh and get used to your equipment. Day 2 share a private lesson with one or two others . Day 3 to 6 continue toodling, putting what you learned into practice, push your boundaries and have as many laughs and as much fun as you can! Something I do is watch others around me and try and copy the people who obviously know what they're doing.
I'm out in les Arc in January too so if you see someone wiping out, turning themselves into a human snowball whilst laughing insanely and singing from the Frozen songbook in a northern accent, say Hi!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Graham - this Frozen singing thing - are you going to do this while we're skiing together?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@davidmt83, Well done for posting the vid. Ask your instructor about an "Athletic Posture" you'll then be in a better position to develope your skills
Be really really disciplined with yourself & this will fix most of your problems and set you on the right path.
Good luck
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Try not to bend at waist as it blocks your leg movement and sends you weight back, flex ankles more and also get shorter ski poles. But overall for 3 weeks it's not too bad.
snow conditions
 davidmt83
davidmt83
It's painful to watch this video now Wink Back from a 2 hour lesson at MK today which was really good!

Mental notes taken. I know some of these are very much aimed for the level of the skiier I am but here's what I learnt... Made so much of a difference it's untrue.

1. POSTURE - hips, ankles, head forward over the skis. Crouch a little to absorb bumps, not much.
2. HANDS - constantly reassess hands. Need to be forward and wipe apart, out from your body
3. FOR-AGONAL CROSSOVER - hips forward / diagonal, when starting a turn. When moving into next turn CROSSOVER your hips i.e. move them sideways to transfer weight to bottom ski.
4. INSIDE BALL OF FEET - on the bottom ski, where the weight is, balance on the INSIDE of the foot, on the BALL of the foot
5. TURNS - always finish turns. Start a turn with gentle pressure and INCREASE towards the end of a turn. Then CROSSOVER hips and link next turn.
6. ANGLE - at the start of a turn, top ski should be a little ahead of bottom ski creating an angle which your hips and shoulders should follow.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy