Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

February Half Term - quieter resorts!

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of heading out for long weekend from 13 to 16th February to somewhere in France - ideally within a couple of hours from Geneva or Lyon. Done a long weekend before in Chamonix but have read reviews that it is particularly bad. Wife is a teacher so unfortunately this is the only available time if we are to head away

Does anyone have any experience of what lift queues are like at this time of year and which resorts are more likely to be quieter. Will only have a couple of days slope time so I don't mind if its a small resort. Skied earlier this year in Mount Jura for a day and found it fine so could do something similar. Been to tignes over the new year a few years ago and didn't find any real problems with queues. Have checked some places for accommodation and can get a room
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@10196986, in my experience small resorts are no less busy and sometimes have less efficient lift systems. I have an apartment in a small resort but you won,t catch me there at half term...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or the other french school holiday weeks. British half term makes no appreciable difference as there are very few brits there.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@10196986, chamonix not particularly bad at all. Lift system had a fair few improvements in recent years. Mind you, there are still a few places to avoid... (E.g. Grands Montets cable car at any time of year).

But why France? Italy much less susceptible to half term crowds e.g. Champoluc.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What about Madonna Di Campiglio.Quite a big town but quiet at night,a few good bars and restaurants and a fantastic ski area linked to several other resorts.We were there last year and its one of our all time favourites.Big advantage is that it is a big Russian package tour resort and with the russian economy struggling there may be some good deals on offer.had a quick look this morning and for example the hotel spinale are doing a double room for £98 a night down from over £250 on Trivago.Lots of availability which is unusual for half term.
Or do your research and pick somewhere (not the super glitzy)where the russians usually go as hoteliers will be panicking.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Courmayeur (Italy) would be a good place to go if you only have a few days. Turin is the best airport to use but if you were to use Geneva it is just the other side of the Mont Blanc tunnel.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@10196986, you will struggle to get a accommodation for a prt week on those dates.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers for the advice - much appreciated. Will have a look at those places in Italy as it could be a runner. Appreciate that accommodation for less than a week is difficult. Still weighing it up if it's worth the hassle to grab a few days away
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We went to Valmeinier last Feb half term and we thought it seemed relatively quiet. Certainly can't remember queueing for a lift any more than 5 mins. Although I understand that there were only a few of the French departments on holiday, so it may be worse this season.

Snowcoach have a hotel in Valmeinier and offer relatively flexible accommodation dates so they may be worth a try. The hotel is by no means luxury, but we were comfortable.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@10196986, it's not a part week, it's parts of two weeks. Even worse. You won't find anything habitable in any decent resort in France.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My first time skiing was last January in Zakopane and the queues were terrible everywhere.We then went to Chamonix in March during half term and reading this forum beforehand i kept seeing reports about how horrifically busy it would be.We get there and don't have to queue once except for the lift going to the very top of Grand Montets.We thought it was fantastic that it didn't seem busy at all.When i returned home i was reading reports on here from people who were in Chamonix at the same time as us saying how busy it was.

So i think people on here like to exaggerate.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, last Feb half term we went for part of the week. Granted we didn't straddle two weeks but it is possible to find shorter breaks. Snowcoach and Skiweekends both offer them, they offer flexibility with arrangements too.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@FullyTucked, a lot depends on weather. When everything, and all links, are open, it's better than when cover is limited. I have spent more than an hour trying to get up the mountain in Le Tour - in mid January.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FullyTucked wrote:
My first time skiing was last January in Zakopane and the queues were terrible everywhere.We then went to Chamonix in March during half term and reading this forum beforehand i kept seeing reports about how horrifically busy it would be.We get there and don't have to queue once except for the lift going to the very top of Grand Montets.We thought it was fantastic that it didn't seem busy at all.When i returned home i was reading reports on here from people who were in Chamonix at the same time as us saying how busy it was.

So i think people on here like to exaggerate.

This> Last season the Portes Du Soleil really was not that bad during half term.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can I suggest you look at resort in Ssitzerland called Ovronnaz? youve probably not heard of it as its relatively unknown to the British skier. The beauty of that is that even during half term the resort is always quiet and often locals will only ski on weekends when not in work. It's only a small resort with 30kms of runs and 8 lifts but has some spectacular views and pistes. There is ample accommodation in resort to suit all budgets and tastes, not to mention some lovely bars and restaurants and a outdoor thermal pools complex! it's a great spot to escape the crowds and your standard cattle herded British package skiers. check out www.ovronnaz.com. I'll be there for 9 weeks starting end of Jan, if u come drop me a message and we'll go 4.a ski!
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@10196986, chamonix not particularly bad at all. Lift system had a fair few improvements in recent years. Mind you, there are still a few places to avoid... (E.g. Grands Montets cable car at any time of year).

But why France? Italy much less susceptible to half term crowds e.g. Champoluc.

Cham "not bad at all"? It isn't bad; it is dire. Bad call.

Good call with Champoluc though.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy