Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on to buy or to rent

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, first post so please be gentle with me.

I am thinking of buying some second hand skis for my wife and I.

She has 10+ years experience and I have 2 (skiing that is !).

The thing is my budget would be approx £100 for each pair.

Do you think its worth it or should we continue to rent ?

I have been trawling ebay and there are lots to choose from, any specific advice on what to look out for would be much appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
house300, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I am sure you'll get lots of advice on this. Personally, I don't ski enough to justify a pair of my own skis plus having my (growing) tribe in tow makes carting them around various airports difficult. snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
house300, Hi and welcome to the Slushnuts family . . . occasionally a bit dysfunctional but "mostly harmless" snowHead

The real question is how many times do you intend to hit the snow per year? If it's just once then you're going to have much more fun reading us anal retentives beat the tar out of each other every season in narrowing down a few great skis for you to hire for a week than to spend 500 Squid and experience a 70+% depreciation in seven days.

Three weeks a year? Then owning a keen ski to suit you is a peachy idea, but if buying off eBay you need to be very certain of what you want and what you're getting! There are some eBay shops that do some great bargains on new kit but they tend to be German.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
house300, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rent, rent, rent. Always rent the best, newest and most appropriate. Then if you find something you love, couldn't ski without it then buy them. You'll start to ski more, love it more then, start assembling your quiver. Ski B3 this winter, i've yet to find anyskier complain, beginners and experts alike. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Are you connected with the rental trade in some way Puzzled
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin, 'Big Mountain Renting Inc.' maybe?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Are you connected with the rental trade in some way Puzzled

Nope, i'm a retailer. Figure that! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin,
Quote:

SMALLZOOKEEPER, Are you connected with the rental trade in some way

I hope you're joking, otherwise you seriously need to spend more time here on snowHeads! Very Happy wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
house300,

Welcome, hope the 'be gentle with me' plea wasn't a reflection of any reticence to post. The board might go off on one every now and then but it really is quite a friendly place, honest..!! Laughing Laughing

And I would rent in your posiition...!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the advice.......... Confused
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
house300, why do you want to rent (read: buy Embarassed )? Are you hoping to save money or do you want to enjoy having your own skis which you're familiar with and will cherish? wink

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 17-12-05 23:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Why do you want to buy? It's certainly possible, but once you factor in servicing depending on how you travel renting might well be cheaper, so if it's just cost don't bother...

aj xx
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Definatley not as a money saving exercise (although if I do it can't be a bad thing Madeye-Smiley.

We have a place in Chamonix where we stay and we drive there, so transporting is not a problem. I like the idea of having our own stuff to use and devlop with but I do have a limited budget.

perhaps what I want is not possible with what I am willing (able) to spend.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
house300, I'd have to agree with SMALLZOOKEEPER, I rented for the first couple of seasons, tried out a variety of ski's and last year bought a pair (Bandit B2's). I ski 3-4 weeks per year(basically whenever I can!) so I figure cost-wise it won't be a waste. Will still be renting in the states this year as I can't be bothered with the hassle of taking the ski's transatlantic. (mostly we ski in Europe and usually drive).
snow report
house300, I suggest you think about spending your whole budget on skis for your wife this year. At 10+ weeks, she'll make the most of them, but even then it'll be hard to get a half decent ski for £200. Rent this time, when she knows what she likes then she can look on ebay. For yourself continue renting until at least a 6 week skier anyway - you'll grow out of the skis too quickly, and won't notice enough difference anyway. Can you leave your skis in Cham? That's the ideal.
latest report
you could do it on ebay. My C9s (1 week use, serviced) were £120, my other halfs fantastic head skis (can't remeber model right now) were £45 and looked barely used! I've seen a couple more pairs of these go recently for very cheap - I think they are not well known enough to sell, but he loves his (grey ski with red end, something titanium I think?)

Keep an eye on ebay and google everything you like the look of for reviews - I think it's do-able for £200 for two pairs.

Like you it wasn't really the cost (although at 4 trips this year I think I am going to win out overall) I just wanted to have my own pair! Plus it saves rental hassle on the first morning/last evening.

aj xx
snow report
<goes to ebay>
These head skis http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEAD-TITANIUM-CARVER-SKIS_W0QQitemZ8735868181QQcategoryZ97070QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
latest report
ajhainey, Your other half's Heads aren't straight are they? Shocked Shocked Shocked Sound like the old Head slalom from yars ago. Laughing Laughing
latest report
Too busy to actually read these other posts. IMO rent. (And because I can't resist: buy if you want fat skis because it's harder to get hold of decent fat skis in most places!!! Twisted Evil hahahahhahahahhaha Laughing Wink)

And if you do start buying, by every year so you can have lots of skis. I now have 5 pairs... Very Happy snowHead See. This is why you should rent, you can change your skis everyday of your skiing holiday and it'll feel like you have 6 pairs of skis!!! Very Happy

(edit: 5 skiable pairs, plus a skiable retro pair plus lots (6?) older pairs of skis. Dr in the house? :opps:)
snow report
easiski wrote:
ajhainey, Your other half's Heads aren't straight are they? Shocked Shocked Shocked Sound like the old Head slalom from yars ago. Laughing Laughing

Laughing no - although I admit in the picture they don't look very curved they actually have a pretty serious sidecut on them (I can't rememeber off hand but its a 15m turn radius if that helps)

I did a fair bit of research on them online before he bought (the description on his pair was 'skis, good condition, with poles and bag" ) and found lots of somewhat suprised but very positive reviews, it seems head don't often get it right wink . He certainly likes them a lot (compared with previous atomic beta 9.18, and rental dynastars and rossignols) - he's a pretty big guy and has mostly lower body strength - which seems to suit them. I would try them myself but he skis in a size 12 boot and I don't want to risk faffing with the binding just so I can do one 10 min run!

I think these are reviews of them - although it's been a while since I looked
http://www.skiersjournal.com/reviews-8.html
http://www.outdoorreview.com/cat/ski-equipment/older-alpine-skis/all-mountain/Head/PRD_51310_1543crx.aspx#reviews

Anyway you'll see them for yourself in...hmm, 7 days exactly, I can't WAIT!! <bounce><bounce>

aj xx
snow conditions
Buying second hand from a ski-bum while you're out in Chamonix might be the most economical option. But know your stuff and be prepared to drive a hard bargain!
ski holidays
house300,

I'd...
Quote:

...suggest you think about spending your whole budget on skis for your wife this year. At 10+ weeks, she'll make the most of them, but even then it'll be hard to get a half decent ski for £200. Rent this time, when she knows what she likes then she can look on ebay. For yourself continue renting until at least a 6 week skier anyway - you'll grow out of the skis too quickly, and won't notice enough difference anyway.

Now where did I hear someone say that Puzzled snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy