Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Wengen jan 2006

Poster: A snowHead
I'm heading off there to take some more panoramic images to add to the growing collection of resorts. If anyone knows of any 'must have' image locations there then I'd love to hear about them. Take in mind that I have 1 week, and skiing with tripods and cameras aint that easy so I need to be able to get there and back again alive!

Cheers,
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
peterW, welcome to snowHeads, unfortunately that is a ski area that no-one here has ever heard of? Wengen did you say? Which other part of Austria is it nearest? Confused
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oops sorry about that Embarassed
It is in Switzerland - see Wengen site for a bit of info. Very close to Interlaken, under the Eiger and Shilthorn. Hope this helps.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
peterW, It was a jest. Very Happy We have a member here who is on a mission to get Wengen into every one of his posts. It is probably the most read resort name on this site. It was a little rude of me to try to joke on your first post and I apologise for that.

DG Orf will be along shortly and will give you all the information you need I am sure.

I may even see you there as I am in Lauterbrunnen in early Jan myself.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well I fell for it, hook line and sinker - or is that boot pole and ski...
I will be there jan 13th to 20th. When are you going?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
peterW, same week. Pity that your excellent little maps won't be available for me while I'm there though, I'm a year too early by the sounds of things. Actually, I think that DG Orf is also there for part of that period, he would show you round I'm sure. There is probably little/nothing that he doesn't know about the place.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well I'm off to Wengen this monday until the 2nd, then I'm back on the 9th till the 17th finally (so far) I'm back on the 30th for a further 28 days

Best places for views, at the end of the village there is a terrific view down the Lauterbrunnen valley, follow my instructions here http://uk.geocities.com/david.orf@btinternet.com/A_little_Walk.html

Also worth a look would be the view from the terrace of Piz Gloria at the top of the Scilthorn and a view from the top of First, however one of the best views in the Swiss Alps is from the outside terrace at Jungfraujoch where on a clear day it is possible to see much of Switzerland.

If anyone wants to meet up just leave a message for me at the Hotel Alpenrose in Wengen
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter W - the hotel terrace at Wengernalp (2 mins walk from the train station) gives a superb view, also an excellent but expensive lunch - booking essential. A good view of the north face of the Eiger from the top of the Honegg T-bar. Top of the Schilthorn in Murren also has fantastic views but take care on the run down! Worth making contact with the Downhill Only Club.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How easy would it be to meet from Engleberg? My dates are 8th-18th Engelberg-Andermatt
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If a bunch of us are going to be there at the same time, anyone know of a place to meet one evening? I will be staying at the Chalet Jungfrau Mountain Centre. May also be interested to meet up on the slopes, though expect to be pretty foccused on photography (could always head for a Snowheads group panoramic though Cool )
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
peterW, welcome to Snowheads.

As D G Orf has mentioned good shots can be had at the Schilthorn (Murren,highest resort in the region... Laughing )

Visit the link below ' My Photo Gallery ' of pictures taken around Murren/Schilthorn, you might need to register at www.snowmediazone.com to view them and others taken by Snowheads
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT, if you have a car it's about 90mins to Lauterbrunnen from Engelberg, if you need to use the train there are so many changes that it would take about 4 hours to get to Wengen, if you do come the best time would be the Saturday or Sunday when the Lauberhorn race is on, party central in the evening plus they will be running late trains
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
D G Orf,

We have a car and the race day is an option.... Can't promise anything but I will try and keep an eye on this thread.. Thanks..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Altho' we might be in Andermatt from the 15th... Is that any nearer by car/road..?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JT, nope further away though it's nearer by helicopter wink there's a big mountain in the way to go arround Laughing
ski holidays
oh well, good idea..!!
snow conditions
JT, you could overnight in Interlaken on the 14th before going to Andermatt on the 15th, that's about all I can think of Sad
snow report
D G Orf,

At the moment the plan is to ski all day in Engelberg and then drive over to Andermatt in time for dinner and then continue the hol'
We could, drive down to Junfrau first thing on the 15th, ski and then drive on to Andermatt but probably unlikely. I will make a note of any meets and see if we can work this in. I suppose it all depends on the conditions...
ski holidays
I'll be there 14-21 Jan if anyone fancies ein Bier. Staying at Falken Towers.
latest report
paulmck, DG Orf will be there at that time,post in the Jungfrau Region thread just incase as hes there at the moment and might not have the time to read other threads .
latest report
Chris Brookes, I always find time to read the threads Laughing

Anyone wanting to contact me whilst Im there can either leave a message at the Alpenrose or with the DHO wink
ski holidays
D G Orf, i hope you are getting out !!
snow conditions
Chris Brookes, why would he do that? Surely he's there to spend all day on the internet reporting back to us? wink
latest report
Elizabeth B, lol
ski holidays
D G Orf,

I have your mobile from the Ski show meet so if you get a strange text from a number you might not recognise it might be me. I trust your mob is good out there...!
Of course, I'll sign it JT
ski holidays
JT, not got my mobile with me (foul creations of satan that they are) if you want to contact me leave a message with the Hotel Alpenrose or at the DHO hut in Wengen.
snow conditions
D G Orf,

Ok, we will be winging it anyway.....

Have they laid on the red carpet for you for all the publicity you've generated...or offered you jobs, wine, women...??
latest report
JT, well I got the wine, 1 out of 3 not too bad but Id prefer 3 out of 3 Laughing Bitter in Wengen today temps have dropped a lot in the last 24hrs, more snow should be on its way wink Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
D G Orf,

A week or so of dumping would be suiting me... NehNeh
latest report
Sorry, lost this thread among a load of other things to catch up on. I'll be heading out there tomorrow (Friday 13th (!) is there a better day to fly?!) and will be there till 20th. Staying in Chalet Jungfrau in Lauterbrunan. If anyone is planning a meet would apperciate a heads up. Will try to look at this before I head out, but after that I have no mobile or anything...
Cheers,
Peter Watts
ski holidays
peterW, have a great time and do visit Murren !!
snow report
peterW, I am really very, very embarrassed as I didn't look at this thread again. I was there in that very same chalet with you, but I didn't know the name of it until now. Embarassed Embarassed I have only just been redirected back here by Elizabeth B via the Jungfrau thread.

What were the first names of some of the others in your group? I expect that we even spoke to each other.
snow report
Ray Zorro, snowheads in the same chalet,did you guys not even talk on dinner/breakfast Puzzled Laughing
latest report
Nope, does not look like we did speak to eachother. Anyway - we had fantastic cloudless skies for first 2 days, followed by a couple of cloudy ones with a day dropping several inches of wonderful powder, and the trip finished with another cloudless day. Was fantastic. Managed to take over 60 panoramic images covering most of the Jungfrau area, including the preparation area for the Mens Downhill Finals! It was great to see, the Kleine Scheidegg area became a parking lot for helicopers.

Should have the whole tour up on the net in the next few days, so will post link here then. In the meantime there is a link to a few sneak preview images on PanoramicEarth.com

Ray Zorro - the other names in my group were Chris, Vanessa, Richard, Sarah (x2), and a Brazilian called Cleverson, who unfortunately sprained his knee on day one. Sad Me - the nut in an orrange jacket skiing with a tripod stuck to his back!

May next be heading out to Schladming Haus in Austria - is this the same as Schladming?
ski holidays
peterW, we may well have spoken - I was part of the Oak Hall team - I was the speaker (Ray Zorro is not my real name - if you hadn't guessed by now). I certainly remember chatting with Cleverson, Richard and at least one of the Sarahs. Some of those were part of the group that helped to keep alive the German that suffered cardiac arrest weren't they? Did you have lessons - if so was it with Clare or Paul and were they am/pm? I skied with the guys on the PPC with Harley.

And yes, Schladming Haus is the same as Schladming. Haus is a smallish village about 10 muinutes from Schladming and is at the base of one of the 4 interconnected mountains. I have been there twice before, again with Oak Hall. Any questions, I would be pleased to help. However, I am away from Saturday 11th Feb for a week in Tignes. If you are again going with OH, you'll find the accommodation there a big improvement on Lauterbrunnen as well as the distance to the slopes (you can almost ski back to the hotel). Have a good one. snowHead

Chris Brookes, because Peter said initially that he was going to Wengen (and I was staying in Lauterbrunnen), the possibility of us being in the same place had never registered. I travelled on an overnight coach and had already left by the time that Peter mentioned the name and location of the chalet. It is a huge chalet (capacity of about 120), but the week that we were there, there was about 70 of us. I tried to speak to most people and am sure that we may well have chatted at some point.
latest report
Ray Zorro wrote:
peterW, I am really very, very embarrassed as I didn't look at this thread again. I was there in that very same chalet with you, but I didn't know the name of it until now. Embarassed Embarassed I have only just been redirected back here by Elizabeth B via the Jungfrau thread.

What were the first names of some of the others in your group? I expect that we even spoke to each other.

Laughing
latest report
slikedges, yes that post does make me look rather stupid doesn't it. But it is unfortunately true Embarassed rolling eyes
snow conditions
Ray Zorro,
Quote:

It is a huge chalet (capacity of about 120), but the week that we were there, there was about 70 of us.

that was a big chalet, no wonder.
Quote:

If you are again going with OH, you'll find the accommodation there a big improvement on Lauterbrunnen as well as the distance to the slopes (you can almost ski back to the hotel).

Should have stayed in Murren then Laughing
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, am I allowed to say that I preferred Murren to Wengen, or is that considered to be something similar to blasphemy on this site?
latest report
Interesting point about Murren. Staying in either Murren or Wengen kind of restricts your skiing to nearest area as it would take over an hour to get from one to the other. It seems that Lauterbrunnen means that you will always have to travel, but you are at the midpoint for both areas, though not with easy access to First. Wengen looks like it has the greatest access to close areas though.

Still, whether it is the top of the Shilthorn or the top of the Lauberhorn the scenery is still fantastic.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy