Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hotel near ish to Munich

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

Well..we have sorted the holiday, but now need to plan our route down to Obergurgl for the first week..

We are flying on the Friday, a day early to avoid a night drive, so would like to stay somewhere an hour or so south of Munich...has anyone got any suggestions for something not too expensive, and en route, as we'll be heading off the next morning..

Many thanks

Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm sorry, I can't help you with a hotel an hour South of Munich but I'm sure someone will be along to do just that shortly. The reason that I am posting is to suggest that Kufstein is about an hour from Munich and it is worth making a trip to eat in the evening at Batzenhausl. No, I don't have any connection to the place. It certainly helps if you speak German, as there are a lot of 'surprises' in the building. The food is good but the main entertainment is the Wirt (landlord) and the various devices around. To say too much would be to spoil it but expect tables that unexpectedly (how can you expect the unexpected?) rise into the air. Just make it clear that you are looking forward to an enjoyable evening out with 'viel spass' and see what develops.
Anyone else been there?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What time are you landing at Munich? It can take that long to just get around the ring motorway at times. Do you have a route already planned or are you open to leaving it until the last minute?

If you intend to head down the A95 and then cross via the Fern Pass, it is worth getting as far as possible to avoid the day trippers heading into Austria. The road along the Ötz valley can be a bit of a pig as well if it is busy as the chances to overtake are few and far between.

It is also useful to know which dates we are talking about. The February Half Term weekend for example, it will be busy on the Friday as people pick their children up from school and take off for the slopes. I try never to be on the A8 late on a day that the schools break up for a holiday as as soon as school is out they start on their journeys.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've stayed at ibis muenchen messe a couple of times for long weekends to ski amade after a late flight to Munich the night before... Not sure if this is convenient for your route?

Only once on a Saturday and the traffic was atrocious, frustrating as had hoped to be on the slopes fairly early the next day after the drive.

If you're hoping to get an extra days skiing in my advice would be to get as close as possible the night before!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When driving our preference has always been heading into Austria via Mittenwald/Seefeld rather than Kufstein.

Quite often we used to stop over in Weilheim or more recently we have also stayed in Gelting (though non-skiing related) at the Neuwirth (http://www.neuwirt-gelting.de/anreise.html) (very nice hotel with a nice restaurant and beer garden).

My personal preference, however, would be to head for Innsbruck for the overnight stop. The Ibis next to the station is quite handy & has underground parking, also no problem with checking in late. This would allow you to avoid the Saturday morning/weekend traffic of people heading to the Alps from/via Germany.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Echoing in part to what Schneeflocke has said................., I've rummaged around the region over the years as I have friends specifically within the Munich ring and whether after several days in town visiting or right away when snow is afoot, skiing is near always in the plan.
When arriving in Munich and later getting to the Tirol, whether directly from los Aeropuerto Münchenito, or not, I avoid the "lesser" roads/route down through Garmisch and hop on the bahn (53), then connect to (52) the bahn on the east side ring which will finally connect to the lower southern ring (60) that heads south then east and curves itself off progressively to the south again and comes into Innsbruck and further from the east. It's an easy drive that cuts substantial time off your drive through the more supposedly picturesque local roads. I agree with Schneeflocke that Innsbruck could v. well serve as a intelligent place to finally call it quits for the day - especially as seeing ALL the time and effort spent since you locked your front door earlier in the day and you are, afterall, traveling East............ Hello!
I'll refrain from any hotel recommendation within Innsbruck as I've stayed at several in town over the years all of which were good. I'm sure that Schneeflocke's recommendation is more than great and apropos. The next morning casually awaken, let another long shower do its thing, have a nice breakfast, stroll around town for a few hours, get back on 60 and you're what........., a fat hour plus from Solden - Obergurgl. Piece of cake.

Solden and Obergurgl are, as you are v. well aware, beautiful. So nice, so attractive, really great. The skiing is phenomenal. Smart move.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@justbeginners, stay at the Ramada Tivoli at Innsbruck, great rooms, wellness and breakfast. Look on bookings.com, our favourite stop-over on route to St Anton after landing at MUC.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Only just had time to check replies...thanks everyone.. @Samerberg Sue, - we are arriving on Friday 19th Dec - think flight arrives around 1pm ish...we haven't booked car hire yet, but as there are 3 of us, including a child, I think this is probably the best option (especially as we are splitting our holiday and staying in Zell am See for the second week).We were hoping to get a bit of a headstart on the Saturday, so maybe Inssbruck may be the best option
Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
All I know is that the A8( motorway to Austria from Munich) , on a Saturday morning makes me think the M6 north of Birmingham has light traffic!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@justbeginners, definitely go as far as possible if you can. Sadly the rush hour around Munich always starts around 15.00 on a Friday so expect little in the way of problems until you hit the south part of Munich heading for the A95. There may be hold ups at Eschenlohe where the motorway changes to normal A-road with only one lane in each direction.

I would try going over the Fern Pass and maybe missing out Innsbruck all together. There are several really good quality Gasthöfe in Imst for example that would give you a massive head start to get up the Ötztal before the day trippers. It will be slow getting through Sölden though as it is the first day of the holidays for many European countries and they may have the same idea as you. I can recommend a really good place in Langenfeld, but that may be a bit too far for you.

If you choose to go via the A8 and down the Inntal - remember that the A12 (Kufstein to Innsbruck/Zirl) has a permanent 100km/h speed limit now with hefty fines. As you will be in a German car you will be made to pay any fines you may incur.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@justbeginners, just batter on down the main A8, 93,A12 to Innsbruck, avoid Garmisch and Fern Pass, you'll be in front of any traffic if you leave MUC at 14.00. Keep to speed limits though, as above.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you leave MUC at 14:00 you will not have any problems going through Garmisch/Fernpass. I would also head over Fernpass as far as Imst, and just look around what Hotels are free. That way you start off right next to Ötztal the next day. I would not try to get past Innsbruck at that time of day cos you will hit the rush exactly spot on!
You can also look here http://www.imst.at/en for Hotels in advance.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Markymark29, sorry, you've obviously not driven that route recently! Hold ups at Holfoldinger Forst due to a new bridge being built to replace the old one - narrow lanes and 80kph limit, but backs up every day in the rush hour. That is just the usual commuter traffic by the way, add the European holiday traffic to the mix and you are looking at a much much longer trip!

The statutory 100kph limit along the A12 from Kufstein to Zirl makes it hardly worth the effort any more to use the autobahn route; going south over the Fern Pass will probably be the best idea to be honest.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Samerberg Sue, our flight gets in 12.45, but we have car hire/baggage to sort out, so we were a bit worried about pass and daylight hours (I like to worry...a lot!).... We've reserved a hotel in Innsbruck, but can easily cancel.. I'm guessing most of hotels in Imst have pretty good access to main road, so might re think
Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Samerberg Sue, each to their own, I'll be down that route late Friday night end January, not planning too many hold ups at that time.
latest report
@Markymark29, late at night no problem, also end of January no problem but middle of the afternoon on the Friday a major holiday starts, forget it. I'll be picking up our very own Queenie, from the airport on Friday 31st, leaving around 9.30 and I'll be home in 45 minutes no sweat.

Do watch out for the 100 km/h limit though as the Tirol police are making a mint on it with both fixed and mobile cameras!
latest report
A quick check of the possible routes on Google maps shows the route through kufstein being the quickest.

Each year we ski in Skiwelt and stay just outside of Kufstein across the border in Germany in a village called Oberaudorf.

Oberaudorf is showing as being 54 minutes from Munich / 83km.

If you choose this route i would heartily recommend the Sporthotel Wilderkaiser in Oberaudorf. Email info@wilderkaiser.de for your booking enquiry and take a look at their website http://www.wilderkaiser.de
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy