Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serious Question

Poster: A snowHead
......about to book flights to Geneva for 20-25th January. Obviously snow conditions aren't great out there at the minute. I usually book accommodation 3-4 weeks before I go, but looking at snow reports and web cams I really am not sure where to go or book. Should I wait until last minute or will the snow have arrived by then and all be ok?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There will be snow by late January.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd wait until last inute if you're able to. It is indeed likely that there will be snow by late January, but on the other hand I've seen seasons when it has snowed once at New Year and then pretty much never again all winter. It's also possible that some places will get lots of it while others get none. Wait and see.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, there will be snow, but not necessarily of equal quality everywhere. There's still not a huge argument in favour of booking accommodation at this stage. Can you not do a standard Sat/Sat or Sun/Sun week? You'd have a hugely greater choice of accommodation and probably cheaper. Your dates, spanning 2 normal weeks, are not ideal.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pam w, a lot of companies and chalets do sunday to Sunday so don't see it being an issue. Especially in late Jan which is a quiet time for skiing. Think I will wait until the snow situation improves.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Impossible to say what conditions will be like at the end of January, regardless of what conditions are like at the moment. Could be epic, could be dire. That's the same as every year, so I don't think you need to do anything different from what you normally do in terms of planning your holiday.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ricklovesthepowder, yes, if you want to go to a catered chalet and just pay for your 5 days I'm sure that'd be fine; seems a shame, though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Conditons look pretty good now on the webcams, most areas seem to be open. I can't imagine the end of Jan will be any worse. The advantage of booking earlier means you get what you want, but if you're prepared to wing it, then fine.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen bodecia wrote:
Conditons look pretty good now on the webcams
Not sure about other places, but around the Tarentaise and the Trois Vallees conditions are significantly worse than you would expect to see at this time of year. The highest pistes are OK, off-piste is extremely limited and lower slopes have insufficient (or no) snow to ski on.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Conditions often vary quite a lot in January waiting can help get better conditions. The worst conditions I can ever recall on a skiing holiday were in Tignes in January so nowhere is really exempt.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
@Ricklovesthepowder, yes, if you want to go to a catered chalet and just pay for your 5 days I'm sure that'd be fine; seems a shame, though.

do you mean pay for 7 and only stay for 5
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@queen bodecia, if the weather continues as it is, the end of January will be an unmitigated disaster.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard wrote:
@queen bodecia, if the weather continues as it is, the end of January will be an unmitigated disaster.

So will August. Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Much more likely to get decent transfers included in a week long rental.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Lizzard, 50cm of snow forecast over the next 6 days and the long term forecast looking like more of the same. Where's the unmitigated disaster?
snow report
In fact Zermatt has got 80cm of expected snowfall over the next 6 days...
ski holidays
8/46 Zermatt

Are you sure that's not 8cm?
snow conditions
@rogg, so where do Bergfex get their weather forecasts from?

http://www.bergfex.com/zermatt/wetter/berg/

Admittedly the expected snowfall has gone down a bit since I looked earlier this morning, but on the whole I've found Bergfex to be pretty accurate in the past.
snow report
@queen bodecia, grand total of three forecast for here between now and next Thursday, with 0° isotherm rising to 3500m at the end of that period.
snow conditions
laundryman wrote:
Lizzard wrote:

So will August. Laughing Laughing

Very clever Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Quote:

do you mean pay for 7 and only stay for 5

yes, @holidayloverxx, that was what I meant. Embarassed

Yes, more precipitation next week but too warm except for high altitude. Looks like it could rain quite a lot - in St Anton, Flachau and Les Saisies to pick 3 at random. wink
ski holidays
@Ricklovesthepowder, of course it is possible there will be no snow anywhere until 2016. But highly unlikely most or all places won't have acceptable snow by end of January. I would go ahead and book now- somewhere high if you want peace of mind
snow conditions
there are likely to be some good last minute bargains for that low season week - and more places likely to be willing to sell you just 5 nights.
snow conditions
And if there's still no snow there'll be loads of bargains. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
queen bodecia wrote:
@rogg, so where do Bergfex get their weather forecasts from?

http://www.bergfex.com/zermatt/wetter/berg/

Admittedly the expected snowfall has gone down a bit since I looked earlier this morning, but on the whole I've found Bergfex to be pretty accurate in the past.

Sites like that use the numerical output from the forecast models, regurgitating the figures without much in the way of interpretation. I see bergfex now shows about 30 or so cm. You can make your own mind up about how accurate that makes them.
ski holidays
@pam w, Bergfex are forecasting snow in Flachau, albeit at the top
snow report
@holidayloverxx, yes, plenty of precipitation around - more in the east I think, but some fairly grim freezing levels, depending on which forecast you look at and heavy rain forecast at village altitudes across the board, it seems. It's not looking great for Christmas at the moment, it has to be said. It could still change - the only thing the forecasts agree upon is that the outlook is very uncertain. And it will almost certainly change by the time the OP goes in late January. I can still see no logical reason for booking now, I must say. You can always "aim very high" but most of the nicer places aren't that high, and if it's cold and windy the likes of Val Thorens and Tignes are fairly horrible, especially for a non skier.
latest report
Since the OP is going in late Jan my advice would be wait till mid Jan, make a shortlist then based on snow conditions as they stand, and where it is you feel you'd like to go as a couple. Watch the prices for accommodation, watch the forecast and when you see the price/forecast/location you want all in one, book.

The Op's in a bit of a limbo time, not early enough to book and get an early bird discount, not late enough to get a last minute discount and book by snow conditions. Wait it out Rick.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes going to book the flight to Geneva then wait until first week of Jan to get s good deal.
ski holidays
You will probably get a better deal 48 hours before.
ski holidays
Booking the flights this weekend and will wait for snowfalls to decide on resort and accommodation. All a bit of a risk at the moment.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy