Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

boots. buying advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After a very successful trip this year we're off again in jan 2015. We both loved our first ski holiday. We both did well and plan to now go at least once a yr.
I need to be honest here to make my point. I took to skiing very easily. We joined a ski school and At the end of the week I was a bit embarrassed how far in front of everyone else i was. My question is should i buy my own boots now.would it improve my comfort and pleasure. If so where do you recommend and how much are boots? The hired boots seemed ok ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have odd shaped feet, so had my own boots for my first trip (1989 IIRC!!).

If you found hire boots OK, good stuff, however you may not find the next pair as good. Mine are so comfy I don't even loosen them at lunch, but tight enough to ski quite hard. Add in the cost savings of having your own and there's not really a reason not too if you're going to be a regular skier.

My latest were bought in resort (mainly as the ones I had at the time didn't really fit), but others will suggest options for buying in the UK.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Glenfish, at the begining, you do not push your skis, yourself hard/fast, so rental boots might be sufficient if they are ok/comfortable. However, once you progress and speeds and slopes become steeper, you are likely to enjoy your own boots much more, especialy if bought from a reputable bootfiter.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whereabouts do you live, @Glenfish, or which resorts are you planning to be in? People here will be able to recommend a good bootfitter.

Good boots are worth every penny, even if you're newish to skiing. My husband got his ahead of his second trip (from CEM at Solutions 4 Feet in Bicester) and they made a noticeable difference to his skiing. With footbeds etc they came to about £450 I think.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1)Boots pay for themselves pretty quickly, ( 4 ski trips ish )
2) you know they'll fit rather than having trouble with hire boots
3) much quicker to get your skis in ski shop
4) don't have to pay to take them
5) don't need servicing waxing etc.

A no brainer if you plan on going regularly
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I only got 40euro discount for bringing my own boots, so nearer 10 trips.

And they are red, so all good.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I live in Southampton. We are going to bardonecchia.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
eblunt wrote:

5) don't need servicing waxing etc.

I knew there's something I'd forgotten - off to wax my boots Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Glenfish, Have a read through the sticky at the top of the Equipment forum. Loads of stuff in there Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi
many thanks for the replies, after I posted I found the sticky on the Eqt Forum. Having read it all we both went to a couple of sellers, today we went to the Snowtogs shop in Southampton, Excellent service, after a consultation and measuring etc we bought a pair of boots each, totalled £500. my partner loved hers straight away. We soon christened them on the local ski slope. The difference when skiing was amazing, so much more solid and felt more 'at one' with the skis, but, but, but my feet did ache when skiing, maybe I need to get used to the tighter fit as the hired skis I have been using were 1.5 sizes too large!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Glenfish, Experiment with buckle tension, and do the=m up in the 'best order'. make sure your heels are tucked back prior to this, also try very thin socks. Your liners will pack down with a weeks use.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy