Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How tight are your tootsies?

Poster: A snowHead
My knowledge of ski boots before I started reading sH was cheerfully vague at best and a deep dark chasm of ignorance at worst.

The concept that the shell of a ski boot should be as small and well-fitted as possible, then subjected to techniques previously honed in a mediaeval torture chamber (stretching, beating, cutting, melt-moulding) to achieve a shape providing utilitarian comfort, whilst really being quite logical and obvious, was one that had never occurred to my pampered feet before.

With the liner removed, it seems that for a performance fit there should only be 8mm between your heel and the back of the inside of the shell when your toes are just touching the front of the boot (and proportional space round the rest of the foot), and for a comfort fit no more than 20mm. I have...uhmm...17mm, so pretty luxuriant rolling eyes .

What d'ya reckon?
How much space between heel and shell do you have?
Can you ski in them all day?
Do you have to undo them at lunch or on chairs?
Do you use the liner the boot came with, a Zipfit, Intuition, or a foamed Conformable or Strolz? (or plugs? Shocked )
Do you have footbeds?

I didn't answer my own questions rolling eyes . SZK and CEM lead the way
17mm
All day
I don't have to undo them at lunch but I do. Sometimes I take my feet out and share the pleasure Very Happy
Liner the boot came with at the mo.
Superfeet Full Kork footbeds

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 18-12-05 18:26; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I measure 28 on the Brannock, weighted and ski in a 26. A 26 will measure around 27 internally and with a good suport my foot happily fits into the space. However this is about preception of comfort. I wear climbing shoes all summer, i've had warm ski boots that are too big and now happily let comfort give way to precission. This won't always be the case for everyone, it just depends how far along the storyboard you are. This is why it's difficult to talk in too much depth about your specific boot/foot needs without your feet in front of us. We need to test your foot's resistance in our hands, look at blood disperssion, bio-mechanics etc etc. Their are too many factors and this is maybe why i feel this has to be done in resort, that way we can be a little 'Medieval' and then ease off the presure day by day.

5-8mm sounds great, i think, but never sit back.
Yep can ski in them all day easily.
Yep undo them on the lift, at lunch sometimes i take them off, depends how long it takes to get served and eat.
Used to ski Zip-fit for 3 years, now in a plug shell with P.U. injection.

I ski like a goon in anything else, in my plugs i feel every pine needle and can fly. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Got to agree with the zookeeper, it all depends on your percetion of comfort, there are a couple of issues that also should be addressed, if your foot is of a fairly high volume and is held well in the shell then having a little extra space around the toes is no problem, the most important thing is to have the widest point of your foot at the widest point in the boot and the foot being firmly held....hang on we are back to the perception of comfort thing again. If you feel like there is movement in the boot then you either need to go down a size or if not in size find a lower volume shell (unless it is just the liner is packed out through use, then its time for new boots or liners.) if i remember rightly it is the pro model you have, which although is the lowest volume of the salomon production boots is not really that 'low volume' and agin if i remember correctly your feet are pretty low volume especially in the rearfoot area- it may be that you need to look at a boot that is narrower in that area. anyway enough right now Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

in answer to the questions

12mm but i have high volume feet and only get a few weeks (2-5)skiing each year
can ski all day, very tight but no pain except first day of the year!!!
yes i do unclip them for lunch and on chairs (depends on when in the season)
Head RS100 boot with Zip Fit Plug liner and Full Kork footbed
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No idea about mm space, but my shells (Flexons) are too big (7s instead of 6), and I have comformable injected inners. Wonderfully firm around the foot - perfect comfort so long as I don't put them on in a hurry, but very wobbly toes. This is fine for me, most of the time teaching my boots are basically undone and I don't have a problem. There is a leeeetle problem on steep ice though Shocked Shocked If required to ski fast and accurately I switch back to my atomics which are actually half a size too small ....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski,

try sticking a disc of thin (2-3mm)material (bootfit foam, leather or neoprene) to the top of the liner over the toes, this will take out a little volume and might make the fit a little more secure around that area...also adds a little warmth if you use neoprene Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CEM, Cheers - where on earth would I get neoprene? Excellent idea.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, anyone who sells wet suits , or prehaps the arm of an old one Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, anyone who sells wet suits , or prehaps the arm of an old one Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CEM, Or search beneath chairlifts for any neoprene face masks that have been dropped Cool
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scarpa, always a plan if you are stuck Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
you can get those socks that you stick over the outside of your ski boot. I think slush and rubble or ellis brigham sell em. I think they might be neoprene but don't quote me on that.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Edmundh009, S&R sell them but they are too thick for most peoples boots (if your boot fits snugly) Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

S&R sell them but they are too thick for most peoples boots (if your boot fits snugly)

suppose you could buy 1 pair between 2 of more of you and cut them up Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, I'm currently mutilating an old wet suit for my horse riding hobby! Say the word and I'll post you a piece. I promise that it will be removed from a none smelly area!! Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
finnbob, That would be brilliant. There isn't much call for wet suits up here in winter!! Laughing Laughing My address is on my website,much appreciated. Thanks a million. Are you coming to the EOSB, next year's PSB???? A drink is definitely behind the bar for you. Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski, Nope, but Mr FB and I are seriously sorting dogsitters so that we can visit LDA and partake of you highly recommended instruction - you have been warned Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow report
finnbob, Why not bring dogs? Passports now available - many apartments are fine with them???? They'd love the holdiay too.... I'm a little rusty teaching dogs to ski though - my poor old mutt died some time ago - but people have lately become a speciality!! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

I'm currently mutilating an old wet suit for my horse riding hobby!

What on earth does that mean?! Puzzled
snow conditions
easiski, The dogs need to look after the cat and the cat needs to look after the horse (are we off topic here?) who stood on my foot and made my tootsies a tight fit in my boots! Actually, it would probably be far easier to bring the dogs rather than husband who is the Mr Bean of the slopes. Will contact you direct as soon as we have sorted something with a near neighbour that sounds as if it could be a reciprocal arrangement. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Lorraine, Please put all thoughts of rubber fetish out of your head!! rolling eyes It's to make lunging more comfortable for the light of my life when I am using a bungee rein to improve his contact with the bit. LOML being my horse Finn (Bob was the name of my last horse).
latest report
finnbob, sounds like a good idea for the lungeing. My favourite horse was Sammy - but that's another (and very off topic) discussion. If you come you must bring photos, and I'll show you mine - horse evening anyone???????
latest report
easiski, I think there will be just the two of us with Mr Finnbob keeping our drinks topped up Smile Smile . Dog sitters are back in the UK and will be making arrangements over Christmas. Will put neoprene in post on Tues, mega apologies for delay as have been somewhat busy sourcing glitter hoof oil and mane and tail glitter spray. My how things have changed since I last owned a horse 20yrs ago!! Will now keep in touch direct.
ski holidays
finnbob, Cool
latest report
Hi George's better skiing partner here. I have had some ski boots fitted whilst in the resort of Tignes last season and they did a great job adjusting them every day for me.

I am happy that they have done everything possible to make them correct for my feet and can't wait to try them out in a couple of weeks in Lake Louise - however - I have started wearing them around the house to get used to them and I experience pins & needles everytime I take them off which last for ages.

I have got very bad circulation and have been treated by the doctor in the past for it. I am going to start taking a 75mg asprin for the next couple of weeks to see if this helps. Has anyone got any more suggestions?

Cheers, Claire

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 26-12-05 22:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Don't like the blood thinning idea if that is what it is you are doing...
Maybe you aren't in the right stance when walking round the house,

One for the doctors, boot and medical...
latest report
george owen, Claire, a high strength (odour free) Garlic capsule could help you here. Garlic can improve peripheral circulation.
The stance that you are adopting when in your ski boots in the house, is different from skiing...try standing with the boots flexed, or standing in your bindings, just don't try answering the door Laughing
latest report
Yup - keep a 2 foot distance between yourself and everything you are attempting to reach around the house. That'll make you flex Laughing
latest report
george owen, Claire. Don't forget your house is probably not -10 deg!!! Your feet will be much puffier in boots in house than out on the mountain. I suspect that's reason for pins and needles. Hopefully should be fine when you get on the snow! Very Happy
latest report
easiski, leads on to another interesting point, which really doesn't help people in rental boots...
After a long journey (say over 3 hours) seated (particularly by plane, but also by car/coach, etc), your feet and ankles will be swollen. for a few hours after arriving, it is a bad idea to get boots fitted, as your feet will shrink back down to normal (particularly if you've been in bed).
So, don't buy boots the day you arrive in resort.
And if you are renting, it's a good idea to put it off to the next morning.

(This info was given to me by a former US ski team boot fitter)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks again to all - you have made me feel much more confident about my boots and I am really looking forward to seeing how they are. Smile
snow conditions
Good hydration is the key to bringing down any swelling should you need to buy boots in the morning or after a flight. Try taking a neurofen before going to the shop, should it be safe for you to take them. Twisted Evil
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy