Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Overnight stop between Cherbourg & Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend a nice town to overnight along the Cherbourg - Geneva route? Preferably about half way I guess, not Paris though

This is the route - http://goo.gl/maps/AV1dj

I'm not familiar with places like Auxerre, Avallon, Beane etc etc and ideally I'd like to stop somewhere nice if I'm going to have a few hours before bed to wander around

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Beaune is a great place for a wander around, some nice bars in the square and plenty of restaurants.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks @Hells Bells, looking at it now and it looks ideal, can you recommend anywhere to stay there?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
At only 550 miles I'd do it in a single hop. Alternatively I'd get a far as possible down-route and give myself a short hop the next day. You don't say what time you get in to Cherbourg so that will be an influence on what is possible in a day.

I've done Le Bugue (Dordoyne) to East Lothian (via the Chunnel) in a single day. We left at 7:15am and pulled in to our driveway at 22:46 after doing 975 miles.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yes, when are you travellling, and what are the timings? Makes a big difference.

Beaune is lovely if that fits in with plans.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Auxerre is a reasonable place to stop. Did it last year when we did Newhaven to Dieppe which doesn't arrive until 15:00. Can then drive quite a long way south (Chalon) without using the motorway on reasonable roads.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Worth thinking about the route, too, depending on timing. The A5, a bit further east, is much more pleasant than the A6 - in which case you'd be east of Beaune. Google maps shows it a bit longer but at the moment (or at any rate last time I drove it) there were no road works and hold ups, whereas there are quite a lot on the A6, again according to Google maps.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the help, it's too far for me to drive in one so going to overnight in Beaune I think. Looks like a lovely place worth a few hours in the morning too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@moseyp, we stayed at the Hotel de la Paix last time. The Grand St Jean is close to the town centre too. Have a look at the selection on Booking.com.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hells Bells wrote:
Have a look at the selection on Booking.com.

and then use another way to book. booking.com has a bad rep for security of card details!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you decide on a town centre hotel, check that you don't have to park your car miles away. A GB car loaded to the gunnels with stuff is an attractive target for break-ins. Although you'll probably be fine, having your vehicle 'round the corner in some public car park is the sort of thing to keep you awake. We had a lovely hotel in Besançon, but the stay was marred when it was revealed that we had to leave the car about 300m away on open ground. If nothing else, you can bet that you'll have to trek out to get something you've forgotten. At another town centre hotel they had secure parking nearby, but you had to get them to unlock the garage if you needed to get anything out of the car. It's surprising how many town centre hotels are vague about the parking arrangements - worst are those with a few places and a 'P' sign on the advert, but when you arrive they just shrug and say that it's first come ... and point you to somewhere remote.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@tarrantd, not had a problem with them, and have used them many many times.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all, very helpful! That's decided so.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The town centre hotels that I have suggested both have their own parking.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi all, same question again! Looking for a nice town to overnight in en route from Cherbourg to Geneva. Last year I stayed in Beaune which was perfect, had a lovely morning sightseeing - but would like to go somewhere different. Was thinking about Avallon or Chalon sur Saone. Anyone been to all those places and have any suggestions? Or anywhere else similar, in Burgundy I guess

Thanks
ski holidays
I've been to Chalon - can't remember much about it, which suggests it's not in the same class as Beaune!

I think I'd go for Auxerre. Can't recommend a hotel though - not stopped overnight.
snow report
Was looking at Auxerre as well, looks nice but not as nice as Avallon. Have you been to Avallon?

Thank you
snow conditions
no, not been to Avallon. Had to look it up. I used to use the A6 when I went from Portsmouth to Le Havre or Cherbourg but not now - it's not the route you'd choose from Calais. Looks nice on Google Images!
snow report
Noyers sur Serein looks interesting too http://www.burgundy-tourism.com/discover/towns-and-villages/VILLEBOU00000152/detail/noyers-sur-serein/noyers-sur-serein
snow conditions
Hi again, just resurrecting this thread as I'm trying to find a new place to overnight on my Cherbourg to Geneva drive this season. Stayed in Beaune, Avallon, Auxerre & Paris. Looking for somewhere that's about an hour or so past Paris, but not down as far as the towns in Burgundy. This is the route - https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Cherbourg-Octeville,+France/Geneva,+Switzerland/@47.8276176,0.0121531,7z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x480c970b9d33188d:0x40c14484fb97e90!2m2!1d-1.622137!2d49.6337308!1m5!1m1!1s0x478c650693d0e2eb:0xa0b695357b0bbc39!2m2!1d6.1431577!2d46.2043907!3e0

Any suggestions? Looked at Nemours but doesn't look very interesting. Maybe somewhere near the Fontainebleu forest - anyone been there, recommend it for a few hours in the morning before continuing on to Switzerland? Or anywhere else below Paris

Thanks!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy