Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wrist and hand support for skiing - help!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi! I'm looking for some wrist guards that provide maximum protection for both the wrist and hand, and hoped you more experienced skiers could help me out. What are the best guards to get, and do they affect your ability to hold ski poles?

A bit of background: I'm a beginner skier - I've had a day of ski lessons to get ready for my first skiing trip, and took to it well (I play roller derby - a contact sport on roller skates - which I guess helps a lot with balance etc). Only problem is, I broke a bone in my hand (4th metacarpal) and had surgery to pin it back into place 2 weeks ago. I know it's not ideal to ski so soon - I'll be 5 weeks post surgery - but hey, it's happening. I'll try to keep my hands out of the way if/when I fall, but that's easier said than done, so some added protection seems like a good plan!

I'm keen on the look of Flexmeter guards as they seem to have good coverage of the hand to the knuckle, not just the wrists, but will that make it impossible to hold a ski pole?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
welcome to Snowheads, @Cocomosey. snowHead Those snowboard wrist guards could work well. I've used them for snowboarding but no, they're not compatible with holding a ski pole. But the good news is that you won't really need poles, as a beginner, and I reckon your hand and wrist will be much less vulnerable without. Poles are a positive handicap for lots of beginner skiers, especially if they try to use them as brakes (a manoevre very likely to hurt your hand). Most instructors have beginners skiing without poles.

You'll need to be mindful of falling well - onto shoulder/hip - and not sticking your hands out to break your fall.

Sounds dodgy, but I sympathise with your wish to carry on with your ski holiday. Good luck. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Cocomosey, and tell your insurance...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Totally agree that skiing without poles is best in this situation. In the long run starting without poles is great for technique. I often make the junior racers I coach do runs without poles. So skiing without poles is cool and nothing to worry about.

But since falling over is part of skiing....some sort of protection/support would be good. To be honest you could probably get away with a roll-up bandage. Otherwise the sort of support you are talking about will be fine. 5 weeks post surgery on such a small bone surrounded by good blood supply and it should be well on the mend. Just take things a bit easy and enjoy yourself!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy